Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: PS Vita gets mixed scores in Japan user-satisfaction survey

May 9, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

I do agree with the guy who said he didn't care about the social features - I only care about games...not apps, not browsing, not videos, not music. I have an iPhone and iPad, I don't need to use my Vita for that.

I'm totally happy with the Vita catalog so far, as I've already accumulated a backlog in the games I own (eg. Sly4), and I haven't even bought all the games I would buy if I didn't already have a backlog (eg. LBP). I don't have time to play a hundred AAA titles, so I'm perfectly fine with all the indie attention the Vita's getting.

Same.

Yeah, that's where I am also. I have a backlog of games and if I didn't there are more games out that I would buy.

I've got my eye on titles like FFX HD, Jak and Dax HD Collection, and Killzone: Mercenary. Though I've been watching some other games, I do feel Sony needs some big name titles announced at E3 to go with all the ports and indie games. I am happy for those that are interested in the indie games (I might buy a couple myself).

Message 11 of 19 (807 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

May 9, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

I'm totally happy with the Vita catalog so far, as I've already accumulated a backlog in the games I own (eg. Sly4), and I haven't even bought all the games I would buy if I didn't already have a backlog (eg. LBP). I don't have time to play a hundred AAA titles, so I'm perfectly fine with all the indie attention the Vita's getting.

Thing is, the PSV has five AAA exclusives so far. Uncharted: GA, Gravity Rush, LBP, AC3: L and SS. I'm not sure if Wipeout 2048 counts since from what I understand the PS3 version is mostly the same. So, in the span of fifteen months (going with the West launch date) the PSV only got five exclusive AAAs with two more in a distant horizon (KZM and Tearaway). So really, it's not a matter of wanting a hundred AAAs, it's a matter of wanting exclusive AAAs to begin with~.

An average user score of 75% is OKish. But even then, people seem to agree that games are lacking. Indie games are ok for a system like the PS3 with a most robust catalog of exclusives. The PSV isn't there yet, far from it. Thus, indies come like some kind of poor effort at filling the gap of a promise they realize they can't fulfill. Again, Sony promised a system that'd play AAA games. So, where are my AAA games? Where's the Bioshock Vita they promised us in 2k11's E3? Yeah, it's nowhere~.

More concerning is their new forecast for next year ( http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/09/sony-announce-hardware-sales-forecast-for-the-year-ahead/ ) where they expect to sell only 5M units of PSP + PSV. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should release a number they'll have to revise three times (as it happened last year), but 5M points to a number of possibilities none of which are promising: no price cut this year? No new Sony games? No strategy yet to turn the situation around? Less support, this year at least, in the wake of the PS4's coming? Whichever it is, it doesn't inspire confidence when Sony itself thinks they'll sell poorly~.

Message 12 of 19 (785 Views)
PlayStation MVP
137 posts

May 9, 2013

The Vita is great, besides the lack or the little there is of remote play. The games that are being released are pretty nice, Hey they keep me on the the Vita. We all feel in some way or another something could've or shoud've been done differtly with the Vita, be it games or features.

Message 13 of 19 (776 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 9, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

An average user score of 75% is OKish. But even then, people seem to agree that games are lacking. Indie games are ok for a system like the PS3 with a most robust catalog of exclusives. The PSV isn't there yet, far from it. Thus, indies come like some kind of poor effort at filling the gap of a promise they realize they can't fulfill. Again, Sony promised a system that'd play AAA games. So, where are my AAA games? Where's the Bioshock Vita they promised us in 2k11's E3? Yeah, it's nowhere~.

More concerning is their new forecast for next year ( http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/09/sony-announce-hardware-sales-forecast-for-the-year-ahead/ ) where they expect to sell only 5M units of PSP + PSV. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should release a number they'll have to revise three times (as it happened last year), but 5M points to a number of possibilities none of which are promising: no price cut this year? No new Sony games? No strategy yet to turn the situation around? Less support, this year at least, in the wake of the PS4's coming? Whichever it is, it doesn't inspire confidence when Sony itself thinks they'll sell poorly~.

Yeah, on one hand I'm enjoying what I have, but on the other I see stuff like the last paragraph and can't help but be a little concerned about the next year of the Vita's life.

Message 14 of 19 (773 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

Honestly, I'm super worried about that low estimate, but I can kind of see where it comes from. With only the PS3 to deal with, they sold 7 mil PSP/Vitas (on sony's side). With the hot new PS4 coming soon, people are going to start to turn their attention to the newest product. But I'm kind of worried about what that low number means for the whole remote play aspect. I was expecting them to put a lot of resources into fleshing out the Vita/PS4 relationship, or at least crisp, functional cross play/remote play. To my eyes at least, 5 mil doesn't make it seem like that is the plan anymore.

I just hope that doesn't mean Sony is focusing efforts on the PS4 instead of making the handheld just as appealing to future devs. I know the PS4 will be their bread and butter but the very idea of this being abandoned makes me sad.

P.S. I kinda miss calling it the NGP...

Message 15 of 19 (442 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 11, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

Thing is, the PSV has five AAA exclusives so far. Uncharted: GA, Gravity Rush, LBP, AC3: L and SS. I'm not sure if Wipeout 2048 counts since from what I understand the PS3 version is mostly the same. So, in the span of fifteen months (going with the West launch date) the PSV only got five exclusive AAAs with two more in a distant horizon (KZM and Tearaway). So really, it's not a matter of wanting a hundred AAAs, it's a matter of wanting exclusive AAAs to begin with~.

While it may only have five AAA exclusives, I don't think it's completely fair to discount the enhanced AAA titles that add more than a mere port (eg. P4G, NGSP) and the AAA cross-platform titles (eg. PSASBR, Sly4). They're still AAA titles that are available for the Vita.

PS. In your "distant horizon", I would consider Batman:AOB an exclusive AAA.

Message 16 of 19 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

May 11, 2013

I use my VITA every single day. I use it for my games and I use it for Netflix on the go.

PS1~PS2~PS3~PSP~PS Vita~Dreamcast.
-Killzone Mercenary Beta Tester
Free userbars
Message 17 of 19 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

May 11, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:
While it may only have five AAA exclusives, I don't think it's completely fair to discount the enhanced AAA titles that add more than a mere port (eg. P4G, NGSP) and the AAA cross-platform titles (eg. PSASBR, Sly4). They're still AAA titles that are available for the Vita.

PS. In your "distant horizon", I would consider Batman:AOB an exclusive AAA.

I wouldn't call NGSP an enhanced port; graphics are (obviously) below the quality of the original versions, the frame rate is only half of the original game and the only extra content is just Hero Mode (epitome for Easy Mode). It's the exact same game, there's nothing new or enhanced about it. P4G adds more, but it's still a port. It's not a new game they came up with like it happens with Shin Megami Tensei IV which is actually a whole brand nee entry into the saga~.

I do think it is fair to not count a multiplatfom game as an exclusive since it's available on another platform. If anything, PSASBR and Sly 4 are exclusives to Sony. But it's the exact same game on both platforms, you can't really say "I own a PSV and I can play this and this game and you can't" when somebody with a PS3 can play them as well~.

Lastly, Batman AOB is not an exclusive, it's shared with the 3DS~.

Message 18 of 19 (152 Views)
First Son
30 posts

May 12, 2013

I'm probably one of those people completely dissatisfied with the game line up. So far I see one good game (Soul Sacrifice) and while I am enjoying that one game the game still feels like it's lacking. I didn't play $300 to play one game. All the other games that are out are either ports or crappy "portable versions" of existing games. Why would I re-pay to play a crappy version I already own for a console?

That said I also have to agree with the argument about the system menus. To put it simply Sony needs to hire some new Software Dev because their current ones are high on something and it's not even the good stuff. The bubbles has got to be the WORST UI idea ever. I still don't know why I need to use "Near" For or why I would want my email, FB and other social media stuff on my Vita when my Phone can do the same.. I bought the Vita to do ONE thing my phone can't.. PLAY CONSOLE QUALITY GAMES.. Sony deliver already.

That said Sony has always made good hardware, I won't deny that but they always lack in their Software/OS department and ultimately it is always their demise. This article if true only show's that im not the only person who feels this way. Honestly the only people who can't see anything wrong with their system are FanBoys and those that are in denial that they bought a $300 dollar door stop.

Message 19 of 19 (119 Views)
0 Likes