May 08 2013
By: marc2henri Lombax Warrior 226 posts

PS Vita gets mixed scores in Japan user-satisfaction survey

[ Edited ]
18 replies 785 views Edited May 8, 2013

xxxcc

Ever since the PlayStation Vita's Japanese price drop on Feb. 28 (both the Wi-Fi and 3G versions are now 19,800 yen over there), Sony's portable has been selling pretty respectably — or, at least, a lot more than it was.

Over 200,000 units were sold in Japan during the month of March, the best month it's had since the December 2011 launch, and the system now has a userbase of around 1.4 million systems in the country. (The top-selling game:Persona 4: The Golden, at 238,000 copies).

However, this doesn't necessarily mean all those Vita owners are happy. According to a survey conducted on Famitsu.com a couple weeks ago, about 46 percent of users said they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the hardware. An equal percentage were satisfied with the software lineup, but users were overall much more negative about the Vita's game library than the system itself.

"Sony seems to be pushing the social features of the device, but to me that's a lot of functionality I don't need," said one 38-year-old male respondant. "Also, the interface is non-intuitive and hard to use. It's difficult to tell what the icons mean, and what little text-based explanation there is includes a lot of Vita-specific jargon that's easy to get confused with."

Although games like Persona 4Soul Sacrifice and the upcoming Dragon's Crown are attracting user attention in Japan, some gamers in Japan still don't see it as quite enough. "There is a better selection of interesting software now, but I think there's still too few of them," one 34-year-old woman wrote. "I'd really like to see some kind of big title that I'd want to recommend to people that don't own the Vita."

Survey commenters were asked by Famitsu to rate their overall experience with the Vita on a scale from 0 to 100. The average score, out of over 1,500 replies: 74.92, with most of the replies printed in Famitsu demonstrating cautious optimism for the future. "If you actually try it out, you realize that it's really kind of like a tablet that happens to be good for games," as one user summed it up. "Being able to play fully fleshed-out titles like these on a portable system easily is really great; I don't use my PS3 much any longer. I'm hoping for better things from it in the future, in apps as well as games."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/8/4311392/ps-vita-gets-middling-scores-in-japan-user-satisfaction-surv...
me personally, i love my VITA. im waiting for E3. i know SONY is gonna blow my mind.
what do you  guys think? 

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/youtube.xml&up_channel=PSVITAGAMES22&synd=open&w=320&h=390&title=&border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&output=js"></script>

Message 1 of 19 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: PS Vita gets mixed scores in Japan user-satisfaction survey

[ Edited ]
May 8, 2013

marc2henri wrote:

xxxcc

Ever since the PlayStation Vita's Japanese price drop on Feb. 28 (both the Wi-Fi and 3G versions are now 19,800 yen over there), Sony's portable has been selling pretty respectably — or, at least, a lot more than it was.

Over 200,000 units were sold in Japan during the month of March, the best month it's had since the December 2011 launch, and the system now has a userbase of around 1.4 million systems in the country. (The top-selling game:Persona 4: The Golden, at 238,000 copies).

However, this doesn't necessarily mean all those Vita owners are happy. According to a survey conducted on Famitsu.com a couple weeks ago, about 46 percent of users said they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the hardware. An equal percentage were satisfied with the software lineup, but users were overall much more negative about the Vita's game library than the system itself.

"Sony seems to be pushing the social features of the device, but to me that's a lot of functionality I don't need," said one 38-year-old male respondant. "Also, the interface is non-intuitive and hard to use. It's difficult to tell what the icons mean, and what little text-based explanation there is includes a lot of Vita-specific jargon that's easy to get confused with."

Although games like Persona 4Soul Sacrifice and the upcoming Dragon's Crown are attracting user attention in Japan, some gamers in Japan still don't see it as quite enough. "There is a better selection of interesting software now, but I think there's still too few of them," one 34-year-old woman wrote. "I'd really like to see some kind of big title that I'd want to recommend to people that don't own the Vita."

Survey commenters were asked by Famitsu to rate their overall experience with the Vita on a scale from 0 to 100. The average score, out of over 1,500 replies: 74.92, with most of the replies printed in Famitsu demonstrating cautious optimism for the future.

"If you actually try it out, you realize that it's really kind of like a tablet that happens to be good for games," as one user summed it up. "Being able to play fully fleshed-out titles like these on a portable system easily is really great; I don't use my PS3 much any longer. I'm hoping for better things from it in the future, in apps as well as games."

me personally, i love my VITA. im waiting for E3. i know SONY is gonna blow my mind.
what do you  guys think? 

I went to your source to see if they verified that all the participants actually own a Vita or if it was just open to anyone that visits the site, but it was in Japanese. lol.

I also love my Vita, and can see using it through to the end of this generation of Sony handhelds if they keep titles coming that I have interest.

Oh, and the quote was so I could make it easier to read, and figured I'd leave it for anyone else that likes paragraphs.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 19 (774 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 8, 2013

Me personaly I love my Vita, I'm enjoying the games that I have, correct there are some games that I'd like to see come out, but overall I'm happy with my purchase Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 19 (768 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

May 8, 2013
I don't doubt that the source is legitimate; Japanese people aren't known for BS polls. The game thing was a given, only Sony followers who borderline on fanboys can say that the library is fine~.

The exclusives are very few for a system halfway through to its second year. But what worries me the most is the future. Sure, KZM and Tearaway are coming. We knew about them since last year though; so, what else is coming~?

I don't see new games. And I'm skeptical about E3 ever since the fiasco last year with Wonderbook taking the stage over the PSV. Still, a price cut did help avoid an imminent flop. 20k units weekly is far better than the 6k it used to do. If the system would have games that aren't ports nor indies, I'm sure it could be a hell of a lot closer to the 3DS~.
Message 4 of 19 (763 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

May 9, 2013

All I will say is if I don’t see any new AAA exclusive games announced for the PSV in the next E3 I will say bye bye sony I trusted you once and it was a big mistake, though the PSV have some good games now but we don’t know anything about its future other then kzm and one more game and that ps4 remote play thing, sure thing we will keep getting some random ports and ALOT OF indie games which is not what sony told me when I bought my vita , sony gave me a different promise when I bought it but so far I didn't see that promise happen, and here don’t get me wrong I don’t mind some indie games or ports but there is a big problem when 90% of the PSV game list are ports and indies , especially when I paid high price for the device , and yes I'm angry, when I bought my PSV all my friends had one but now all of them sold their vitas and bought 3ds (and they keep telling me to do the same and its not worth to keep my vita) I'm the only one in my friends group who kept my vita and TBH the reason here is I'm not nintendo fan I like sony handhelds more but now seems the 3ds have a better future then the PSV so if no new AAA exclusives announced soon sony will lose a long time custmer, I will sell my PSV and buy me 3ds at least it’s cheaper and have more games and better future and don’t need an over priced memory card   

Message 5 of 19 (743 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 9, 2013

Even though there is no major games out for the Vita yet, I still want one (I at least want to play "Uncharted: Golden Abyss")

I have faith in the Vita's future, like the PSP. I didn't buy one of those until 2 years after it launched. By then it had an awesome line-up.

My wife is considering getting us both iPads with our tax return. I said "I'd rather have a PS Vita."

And with all the potential of the PS4/Vita combo, I know I won't regret owning one.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 19 (735 Views)
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

May 9, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Even though there is no major games out for the Vita yet, I still want one (I at least want to play "Uncharted: Golden Abyss")

I have faith in the Vita's future, like the PSP. I didn't buy one of those until 2 years after it launched. By then it had an awesome line-up.

My wife is considering getting us both iPads with our tax return. I said "I'd rather have a PS Vita."

And with all the potential of the PS4/Vita combo, I know I won't regret owning one.

word of advice: Go with a droid-run tablet, not the overpriced ipads. More and more usersare becoming bored of their ipads and switching over (from a reddit article earlier this week).

another piece of advice: DO NOT GET A VITA instead of a tablet. you'll get more bang for your buck with a tablet b/c of the free-$3.99 apps instead of the overpriced $20+ games which have mediocre reviews.

Message 7 of 19 (729 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

May 9, 2013

I love my Vita and I'm sure that E3 and Gamescom alone will do more to blow our minds. It seems Playstation is gearing up to announce some big games for PS4 and hopefully Vita. I can't wait for FFX HD, Killzone, and Tearaway.

Message 8 of 19 (728 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 9, 2013

Dubloon7 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

word of advice: Go with a droid-run tablet, not the overpriced ipads. More and more usersare becoming bored of their ipads and switching over (from a reddit article earlier this week).

another piece of advice: DO NOT GET A VITA instead of a tablet. you'll get more bang for your buck with a tablet b/c of the free-$3.99 apps instead of the overpriced $20+ games which have mediocre reviews.

I'm not a tablet gamer at all. God knows why my Wife wants an iPad, when she already owns an iPhone and a laptop.

Just another shiny toy, I guess. I have absolutely no desire to own an iPad or any other kind of tablet.

I want a Vita because it has/will have/ games I can obviously only play on it and for the potential it has to be a perfect companion to the PS4 (more so than it is to the PS3.) I know PS4 is said to support tablets as well, but tablets don't have analog sticks or buttons. Unless I hook up a compatible controller to it. Plus, I love collecting handheld systems.

Thanks for the advice though.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 9 of 19 (724 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 9, 2013

75% is a fairly good rating.

I'm completely satisfied with my Vita, though I did only pay $200 because of the Black Friday sale.

I do agree with the guy who said he didn't care about the social features - I only care about games...not apps, not browsing, not videos, not music. I have an iPhone and iPad, I don't need to use my Vita for that.

I'm totally happy with the Vita catalog so far, as I've already accumulated a backlog in the games I own (eg. Sly4), and I haven't even bought all the games I would buy if I didn't already have a backlog (eg. LBP). I don't have time to play a hundred AAA titles, so I'm perfectly fine with all the indie attention the Vita's getting.

Message 10 of 19 (715 Views)
0 Likes