Reply
Dec 06 2012
By: bigben72000 First Son 4 posts
Offline

PS Vita memory cards

12 replies 367 views Edited Dec 6, 2012

I really want to know why they're so expensive and why Sony did not implement internal memory or allow regular SD cards. If a Nintendo product has internal memory and the option of using regular SD cards I don't see why Sony would try to compete by using memory cards that cost 4 times as much as an SD card ($20 for my 32 GB SD, $75-$100 for 32GB PS Vita card) I love playstation and have owned two psps and two PS3s but I refuse to buy a Vita because honestly it seems as if Sony is over charging for the memory cards out of pure greed.

Message 1 of 13 (367 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 10/21/2007
Offline
2728 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

bigben72000 wrote:

I really want to know why they're so expensive and why Sony did not implement internal memory or allow regular SD cards. If a Nintendo product has internal memory and the option of using regular SD cards I don't see why Sony would try to compete by using memory cards that cost 4 times as much as an SD card ($20 for my 32 GB SD, $75-$100 for 32GB PS Vita card) I love playstation and have owned two psps and two PS3s but I refuse to buy a Vita because honestly it seems as if Sony is over charging for the memory cards out of pure greed.


From what I been reading on the forums the VITA memory cards cost more to make up for the low price of the VITA itslef.

I myself didnt consider getting a VITA until Black Friday came along.

Message 2 of 13 (349 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/23/2009
Offline
4 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

I'd agree with you except that the Vita is the most expensive handheld on the market.

Message 3 of 13 (345 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/09/2008
Offline
509 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012
Quality control and speed. Vita games are large. Had they used microsd every idiot and their mother would be using the cheapest and slowest cards possible, then complaining endlessly about the systems performance and blame sony. Because of that sony needed to put effort into developing a card that would be fast enough so the user experience wouldn't suffer. That takes money. And if you notice the fastest sd cards on the market aren't exactly cheap. I'm pretty sure that your 32gb card for $20 wouldn't hold a candle to the vita's memory cards in terms of speed.

PS3 20gb with 120gb hd *** PS3 40gb *** PS3 80gb *** Ps Vita 3g *** 2x Ps Vita wifi *** 2x White PSP-Go
Message 4 of 13 (331 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 06/20/2012
Offline
2536 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012
Debatable that such was the intention behind it, but even then, it's a moot point. Most people prefer to own the retail games thus the need for a "faster" card is moot as you'd be using them just for saves~.
Message 5 of 13 (329 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/04/2009
Offline
4158 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012
SD cards allow creating a custom.FW for the Vita much easier.
Message 6 of 13 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 11/28/2012
Offline
56 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

This is total nonsense, the kind that could only come from a salesman:


Nasomi wrote:
Quality control and speed. Vita games are large. Had they used microsd every idiot and their mother would be using the cheapest and slowest cards possible, then complaining endlessly about the systems performance and blame sony. Because of that sony needed to put effort into developing a card that would be fast enough so the user experience wouldn't suffer. That takes money. And if you notice the fastest sd cards on the market aren't exactly cheap. I'm pretty sure that your 32gb card for $20 wouldn't hold a candle to the vita's memory cards in terms of speed.

The fastest SD cards are class 10. You probably have no idea what speed Vita's cards are. I've bought PNY, Sandisk, Transcend, etc. Not one card has gone bad on me. Amazon, ebay, Best Buy, etc have inexpensive SD cards.

 

In response to the original poster, if you don't wanna pay the price, go buy your Nintendo.

Message 7 of 13 (287 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/12/2012
Offline
1041 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

Nasomi wrote:
Quality control and speed. Vita games are large. Had they used microsd every idiot and their mother would be using the cheapest and slowest cards possible, then complaining endlessly about the systems performance and blame sony. Because of that sony needed to put effort into developing a card that would be fast enough so the user experience wouldn't suffer. That takes money. And if you notice the fastest sd cards on the market aren't exactly cheap. I'm pretty sure that your 32gb card for $20 wouldn't hold a candle to the vita's memory cards in terms of speed.

Finally someone who knows about memory cards and different classes. I have been saying that forever.. I thought I was the only one good to see another bring it up.

 

Goes the same for my DSLR's really I can't be messing around with slow memory cards that are cheap, the memory cards I use are just about as expensive as Sony's. So I am assuming since they work at the same speeds they are probably the same class which are higher end which like you said makes perfect sense for most the digital material the Vita uses.

 

I also don't think the Vita itself is expensive at all even at $250 for what it does but that is another story.

 


Message 8 of 13 (278 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/14/2007
Online
14415 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

Gamble_STARS wrote:
SD cards allow creating a custom.FW for the Vita much easier.

Considering the PSP was never hacked by the Memory Stick, nor was the other protable systems, I don't believe this arguement. I'm not sure they don't already, but all they have to do is encrypt the drive as they currently do for the PS3. From what I have read the Vita cards are class 4, they cold have easly used Micro SD Cards.

 

Sony love proprietary formats. Memory-Stick, UMD, Beta, etc. They created yet another to control the profits for the format. It's their way of making sure they can profit off a format. Add the low system sales numbers and 3rd party flash makers don't want to touch the format. They have no incentive to lower the price.

 

Contact PlayStation Support
Chat with a PlayStation Specialist 
Mon - Sat, 6:00AM - 10pm , Sunday 8am-8pm Pacific

Consumer Services and Technical Support____ 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM Pacific
Sat, 7:00AM - 6:00PM Pacific
Sun, Closed

Playstation Network Accounts and Billing Support____1-877-971-7669

Playstation Forums Support MVP. I do not work for Sony. Just a helpful gamer.
Message 9 of 13 (277 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 10/12/2012
Offline
1041 posts
 

Re: PS Vita memory cards

Dec 6, 2012

grounded_pilot wrote:

This is total nonsense, the kind that could only come from a salesman:


Nasomi wrote:
Quality control and speed. Vita games are large. Had they used microsd every idiot and their mother would be using the cheapest and slowest cards possible, then complaining endlessly about the systems performance and blame sony. Because of that sony needed to put effort into developing a card that would be fast enough so the user experience wouldn't suffer. That takes money. And if you notice the fastest sd cards on the market aren't exactly cheap. I'm pretty sure that your 32gb card for $20 wouldn't hold a candle to the vita's memory cards in terms of speed.

The fastest SD cards are class 10. You probably have no idea what speed Vita's cards are. I've bought PNY, Sandisk, Transcend, etc. Not one card has gone bad on me. Amazon, ebay, Best Buy, etc have inexpensive SD cards.

 

In response to the original poster, if you don't wanna pay the price, go buy your Nintendo.


Not that they go bad easily which for me is a different experience but they are clearly slower and I wouldn't want to use a slow memory card with the Vita regardless if we could use microSD or any memory card we wanted.

 

If I had the money to spare I would take apart a Vita memory card but I only have the 4gb which I use now and the 32gb which I still haven't used. Maybe when I get to using that 32gb I'll consider trying to see what they are exactly.

 

 


Message 10 of 13 (276 Views)
Reply
0 Likes