Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 26 2013
By: Tim81DE Wastelander 845 posts

PS2 Collection - Looking back at the Greatest Console.

[ Edited ]
6 replies 681 views Edited Mar 26, 2013

Hello Playstation community,

I've recently been going through my old games. I did a PSP section the other day (link at the bottom if you'd like to take a look) and looking through some old photos made me realize how big my collection has grown, especially my PS2 titles. Below is a photo from March 2012:

Here's the update for March 2013:

Again, a low quality video to accompany the photo. The video also includes some of my favorite songs from beloved PS2 games.

As of right now I have 557s PS2 games. Simply put, the PS2 is my favorite console of all-time. A lot of great memories came from this generation.

Like with the PSP collection, I'm going to do a top 10. This is a little tougher since the amount of quality games on the PS2 were so massive that it may be hard for a lot of people to have a top 20! Here we go.

10. Beyond Good & Evil - Jade is the ultimate female heroine, and this game shows it. From the opening battle scene, to conducting small mission around the city, this game deserves a 10. It's graphics were up to pace and the colors and different characters made the game something even more to enjoy!

9. ICO - I remember receiving that silver colored Official Playstation Magazine with this on the cover. I read about it. Picked up a Jampack demo disc that contained it and fell in love. I immediately went out and got it the next day while on a family vacation in Baltimore. The graphics were amazing and the experience you had of trying to help someone along the way while defending yourself provided something that I had never felt before. No game until Journey had given me emotions like ICO, and I can gladly say it's in a class of it's own.

8. Dark Cloud - My first RPG on the PS2 was a great experience. I loved the idea of being able to create my own town and the fighting style and weapon leveling was really neat. Each character provided a different approach, but it truly was about creating a city that you saved and built.

7. Tony Hawk Underground - What a franchise. TH3 was my first real love, but I had to choose THUG based on how much the game had improved. Create your own character to be placed in an amazing story and hammer out awesome tricks in cool locals. From the music to the settings, this game had it all. The biggest improvement: Being able to get of the board and walk around. It added that extra element to reach new destinations to complete even cooler tricks. While I preferred TH3's maps and online play (probably because it was new), I love this game for what it is.

6. Amplitude - Dear music droids in a distant universe was this a pleasant surprise. While it's original Frequency had become somewhat of a hit, Amplitude picked up everything and made it perfect. I consider this to be far better than any peripheral band game. The music was great. Creating a beat character was cool, and the online was pretty good.

5. Final Fantasy XII - I know a lot of people will probably go with 10 (maybe even the few with X-2), but 12 had everything an RPG fan could want: A great political story (a first for the series), as always terrific graphics, a new, yet familiar MMORPG type of battle system that was very deep in customization (Should have taken from this Ni No Kuni), and some of the best side missions I've ever been able to experience. I sunk a good amount of time into 12, and if they release an HD remake, I'll do it again.

4. Jak & Daxter - All I remember is wanting this game for my birthday, getting this game (plus the guide) for my birthday, and beating it 101% on my birthday. The game was quick, but that may have added to the charm. Daxter himself was enough for me to laugh at, but add witty comments from the Green Sage and others and you have what could be considered the top class of audio on the PS2. The big catch was the no loading. Going from one level to the next with a screen was unheard of, but the orginial J&D made it happen, and did it good. The other part is the gameplay, if it weren't for a sneaky raccoon, I would be naming this my favorite platformer. Speaking of that raccoon...

3. Sly Cooper - Barley beating out Jak & Daxter simply because of how the levels were set up. Almost in a choose-your-level mode, Sly became my favorite platforming game and held that spot for a long time. The catch for me was collecting every glass bottle and what was an interesting yet fun set of characters.

2. Socom U.S. Navy Seals - Despite Boomer being an idiot, this was by far my most beloved shooter on the PS2. This game not only brought me into the online world (along with Madden 03 and Tony Hawk 3), but it did it so well. The single player wasn't a slouch either. Ordering teammates and completing missions with 100% stealth proved to be a ton of fun. But seriously, we all know the multiplayer was the reason this franchise took off. I miss you Socom. I hope you can make an HD revisit to my Vita soon.

1. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - All I could say is "wow" when I started this game. It was beautiful. Despite our "hero" not talking, the voice acting was superb. Angus himself could have won an award but having the comedic king and the sassy Jess added tons of laughs for myself. This game also boasts one of the best told stories in a game. The plot itself seems a little cliche, but the experience to the end was terrific. Add in a bunch of extras (monster arena anyone?) and what could be considered the most memorable soundtrack from the PS2 and you have an instant classic.

Wow... I still can't believe I've left some of the greatest games off this list. While I could list a huge number of games that I think deserve consideration, along with why, I'm just going to name some that roll off the top of my head.

Special Consideration:

Killzone, Socom 2, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo 3/4, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Magna Carta, Shadow of the Colossus, Madden 2003, Medal of Honor Frontline, Twisted Metal: Black, Metal Gear Solid 2, SSX, Star Wars: Starfighter, Midnight Club 2, Life Line, Freedom Fighters, Eye Toy Play, Xenosaga, Star Wars Battlefront, War of the Monsters, Sky Odyssey, Ridge Racer V, Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, Gatiroo Man, Grand Theft Auto 3, Herdy Gerdy, Mark of Kri, Kingdom Hearts 1/2, Primal.... Like I said this could go on forever and I'm sure I've missed some that you all love (God of War or Zone of Enders anyone?).

Let me know what your favorite game and experience was with the PS2 below, and thanks for taking the time to check out this tread!

-Tim

Link to PSP thread: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PSP-Collection/td-p/39911643

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 1 of 7 (681 Views)
Sackboy
566 posts

Re: PS2 Collection - Looking back at the Greatest Console.

Mar 26, 2013
Okami
Kingdom hearts.
Message 2 of 7 (668 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11127 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Them's a lot of games you have. I do agree with some of your selections for some of the best games out there during the PlayStation 2 days. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 though I did like much better than Tony Hawk's Underground. When that game came out the franchise started getting weird and drifting away from the qualities I consistently liked about it.

Above all PlayStation 2 classics, my favorite has always been Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Even though it's probably the most hated of the franchise, I was able to find much to love here. The story really floored me, and as did the visuals, the voice acting, the terrific bosses, and collecting all of those dog tags.

Message 3 of 7 (649 Views)
Wastelander
845 posts

Mar 26, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Them's a lot of games you have. I do agree with some of your selections for some of the best games out there during the PlayStation 2 days. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 though I did like much better than Tony Hawk's Underground. When that game came out the franchise started getting weird and drifting away from the qualities I consistently liked about it.

Above all PlayStation 2 classics, my favorite has always been Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Even though it's probably the most hated of the franchise, I was able to find much to love here. The story really floored me, and as did the visuals, the voice acting, the terrific bosses, and collecting all of those dog tags.

I'll give you that on the topic of Tony Hawk. It was hard deciding between the two, but I utimately went with THUG simply because of how it evolved. I think it's safe to say that it contains the best story for any sports game. THUG 2 was what took it to far for me, and after that the series just went down hill. But THUG, who could forget that KISS level?!

As for MGS2, I also enjoyed it. It is still to this day the only MGS I have ever finished. I got a little weirded out towards the end with Raiden, but it was still a great game.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Message 4 of 7 (646 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4899 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Godhand and RE4

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 5 of 7 (636 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Nice collection! :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 7 (630 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8548 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Starwars Battlefront 1/2, Mercenaries, GoW........   Its been so long I can hardly remember anymore, but I know I loved a lot.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 7 of 7 (625 Views)