Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 17 2013
By: MetaKraken Uncharted Territory 1599 posts

PS3 Freezes Up Once Again...

8 replies 238 views Edited Apr 17, 2013

So basically right after the Maintenance from yesterday, the PS3 was working very smoothly, and while playing Nuketowk Zombies from Black Ops II on the PS3, which I bought recently, but a few hours later, the PS3 goes back to its old ways by freezing itself several times when I tried to boot it up while the PS3 stops recognizing the controller in the process briefly, which freezes again. Basically, I can't really tell if the Maintenance was supposed to fix both the PS Store and the constant freezing I, along with some other PS3 users, am having, or just the PS Store and not the firmware update issue. Tried Safe Mode with the six choices, nothing. And unless I want to restore the PS3 system all over again, it will not remove the 4.40 update as far as I'm aware of. Plus, replacing my PS3 for a newer one is of no guarantee as the update will still be there (like a parasite jumping from one host to the next). If it freezes up tomorrow, I'll have to send it over to Sony and have them repair it if my PS3 continues to freeze constantly tomorrow. Has anyone else having the problem with the constant freeze ups from the PS3?

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 1 of 9 (238 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4219 posts

Re: PS3 Freezes Up Once Again...

Apr 17, 2013

MetaKraken wrote:

So basically right after the Maintenance from yesterday, the PS3 was working very smoothly, and while playing Nuketowk Zombies from Black Ops II on the PS3, which I bought recently, but a few hours later, the PS3 goes back to its old ways by freezing itself several times when I tried to boot it up while the PS3 stops recognizing the controller in the process briefly, which freezes again. Basically, I can't really tell if the Maintenance was supposed to fix both the PS Store and the constant freezing I, along with some other PS3 users, am having, or just the PS Store and not the firmware update issue. Tried Safe Mode with the six choices, nothing. And unless I want to restore the PS3 system all over again, it will not remove the 4.40 update as far as I'm aware of. Plus, replacing my PS3 for a newer one is of no guarantee as the update will still be there (like a parasite jumping from one host to the next). If it freezes up tomorrow, I'll have to send it over to Sony and have them repair it if my PS3 continues to freeze constantly tomorrow. Has anyone else having the problem with the constant freeze ups from the PS3?

Has it happened to you during any other game / App recently? Or just on Blops: Duece?

If just 1 game, then there is your problem, not your PS3.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 9 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1599 posts

Apr 17, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

MetaKraken wrote:

Has it happened to you during any other game / App recently? Or just on Blops: Duece?

If just 1 game, then there is your problem, not your PS3.

I wouldn't say that BO2 is the issue. I was staying at the XMB menu when I booted up again, and it froze for a few minutes, even seconds maybe, so basically it's the PS3 that's having issues, not BO2 or any other PS3 games. :smileyindifferent:

Message 3 of 9 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1599 posts

Apr 19, 2013

Just replaced my PS3 Slim for the PS3 Super Slim and it was working fine, right up until the PS3 froze an hour later. If I'm correct, Sony has yet to make the next firmware update that would prevent most PS3 consoles from freezing. Even though I've already mentioned this several times, Sony has yet to realize the actual problem that's coming from the firmware update, not from the PS3 games or the console itself.

Message 4 of 9 (192 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3117 posts

Apr 20, 2013
My brother has a slim and he said it had a freezing problem. So I took it apart and cleaned it out. It wasn't very dusty BUT when I took the heat sink side off the CPU/GPU, I noticed the RSX/GPU chip had only 65% of the chip with thermal compound on it. So I cleaned it off and applied new thermal compound on both CPU/GPU. Put a even thin layer across the whole chip then put the system back together. So far so good but like I told my brother it could be software side of the system.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 5 of 9 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 20, 2013
After owning my slim PS3 since christmas of 2010, it has just started freezing. It started with "This is 40" blu-ray and then "Killing them softly" completely did not even start. After that my Black Ops II is literally unplayable. All the discs are new and completely flawless. Is this the most recent update messing with my system? I am out of warrantee and don't mind tearing it down to clean it as I am sure it is dusty as all hell. Thanks for any responses.
Message 6 of 9 (158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 21, 2013

I'm having the same problem, froze up and won't reset; won't do anything; says download 4.40.  Help!  Can't restart, can't update, safe mode says update not found. 

Message 7 of 9 (153 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1026 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013
If it still doesn't work you might have to send it in for repair.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7695018_troubleshoot-system-keeps-turning-off.html

Message 8 of 9 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3117 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Yup my brothers Slim is still freezing up but its not as hot as before thanks to the thermal paste . It started after the 4.40 update also.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 9 of 9 (105 Views)
0 Likes