May 10 2013
By: DerkleDawg First Son 11 posts

PS3 Slim Runs Too Hot No Fan Running

7 replies 293 views Edited May 10, 2013
I have a ps3 slim that had the glod (powers on green light but no video out) and I did a temporary fix with copper shims. It worked but the fan would get really loud about 10 minutes into gameplay and before that it would speed up to semi loud about five minutes into doing nothing. I posted asking what would fix that and it was suggested that I do a reflow. So using the same profile that has never ruined a ps3 (out of like 20) I reflowed it and instead of putting the shims back on I a penny under each clamp to create more pressure on the chips. I turned i on after that and it was so quiet that it seemed as if the fan wasn't running so I started it up with the top off and the fan spun up at first and then stopped. I figured it just was not getting as hot but it would turn on later but it doesn't and i get the "the ps3 has gotten hot" message. Any way to fix this?
Message 1 of 8 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

Re: PS3 Slim Runs Too Hot No Fan Running

May 10, 2013

They all run way to hot, that is why there are 3 versions instead of 2...

I'm sure they would have released a 4th but they decided to release the ps4 instead....

The reason they are so warm is they failed to design a good enough ventilation system on all systems....

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 8 (287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

May 10, 2013
Well, I've never had a heating problem with either of my ps3 systems. The only thing I can suggest is that you replace the fans. It's not abnormal for fans to fail over time, and they're usually pretty cheap. Try replacing your fan. It will hopefully fix your problem.
My PSN
Message 3 of 8 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

May 10, 2013
Why are you shimming or doing penny fixes? The cooling system is designed so that the heatsink sits properly on the CELL/RSX if reassembled properly.

Excessive pressure may cause damage to the circuitboard or the BGA surfaces as well.
Message 4 of 8 (279 Views)
First Son
11 posts

May 10, 2013
It is not excessive just a bit more. The shims are designed as a quick fix for ylod and glod but at the moment there is nothing between the chips and the heatsink. I just noticed a slightly mangled grey wire on the fan (the speed meter) so I will fix this and see what happens.
Message 5 of 8 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2013

DerkleDawg wrote:
It is not excessive just a bit more. The shims are designed as a quick fix for ylod and glod but at the moment there is nothing between the chips and the heatsink. I just noticed a slightly mangled grey wire on the fan (the speed meter) so I will fix this and see what happens.

Bingo.

The grey wire isn't the speed meter: That is the speed control. The PS3 sends PWM Pulses down that wire to control the speed of the fan.

If you really want to, sending 3.3v down that wire would make the fan run at full tilt at all times.

Message 6 of 8 (266 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

May 10, 2013
Downside to that is the motor dies faster than having it run at a lower speed.
My PSN
Message 7 of 8 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

May 10, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Downside to that is the motor dies faster than having it run at a lower speed.

And noise. Lots and lots of noise.

Message 8 of 8 (253 Views)
0 Likes