Splicer
84 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim "Overheating"

Jan 15, 2013

The PS3's simply overheat because of the cheap stock thermal paste they use. It dries up after about 2 years or so sometimes less depending on how heavy you use your PS3. My ps3 kept turning up the power on the fan while idling in the XMB with no disc in just  a few minutes after boot. I just opened mine last week, and took it apart  down to the motherboard to find the stock paste in mine BONE DRY after about 2 years of moderate use.

I bought some Artic Silver 5, cleaned up the old paste off the CPU, GPU and heatsync blocks, applied new paste, put everything back together, and now my fan isn't even on medium during a game with disc in. I know for a fact my PS3 is running much cooler. I also was able to blow out a lot of dust during the paste exchange which helped too. The power supply was covered. It's not that hard to do, and will solve overheating issues for sure, and will prevent a possible future YLOD.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 43 (1,590 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 20, 2013
Got my super slim for Christmas. Been using it a fair bit. Just got home from work, turned it on and before I could even load Uncharted 3 the system said it was hot and shut off. Now every time I turn it on the fans are on maximum speed. I have only had this thing for 3 weeks.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 43 (1,548 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this, will keep an eye out on this issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 43 (1,541 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Jan 20, 2013
If you don't care what people think then drop it......dang......holy blog of post Batboys!
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 43 (1,537 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14242 posts

Jan 21, 2013

ToxicDet0x wrote:
If you don't care what people think then drop it......dang......holy blog of post Batboys!

What do you expect from a troll/xbots.

They're idiots

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 43 (1,527 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 23, 2013
This happened to me once but a little different. I turned on my ps3 then I started cleaning my room because my mom told me too before I started to play and when I was cleaning my room my ps3 beeped 3 times then the fans went to Max speed speed. I went up to it and put my hand in the back of it and the air temperature was normal, not to hot, not to cold. When it was doing that the power light was blinking (green) then when it was done it beeped again 3 times it stopped and the power light was blanking (red). I did notice though that the disc drive slot was open. I'm not sure wat it did but would like to know?
- CHIKENnoodlePOOP
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 43 (1,494 Views)
Splicer
87 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Almost the same thing happened to me. I had the superslim standing vertical. turned it on, went to use the restroom and then I hear 3 beeps with it blinking. I just bought it like 2 days prior to this. Anyway, turned it on again and again 3 beeps, but this time there were no lights. After that i sat it horizontally and then the fans kicked in real loud for like a minute, and ever since then its been good. But I really want to keep it Vertical since it takes up less space. Which position do you have it?

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 43 (1,459 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I have had mine flat since I got it and I have have had no problems at all so if I was you I would keep it flat :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 43 (1,441 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14242 posts

Jan 25, 2013

knight_man84 wrote:
I have had mine flat since I got it and I have have had no problems at all so if I was you I would keep it flat :smileyhappy:

totally subjective... i have mine vertical, like i've always had my 2 other fat PS3's for the last 5-6 years.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 43 (1,435 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 12, 2013

just had the same thing happen to mine, same assain creed bundle. I also have been trouble with the system loging onto the net and viewing my trophies.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 43 (1,222 Views)
0 Likes