Jun 10 2005
By: snowcrash Treasure Hunter 9588 posts

PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

62 replies 10 views Edited Jun 10, 2005
Another inside scoop from my friend, a friend who also told me about dual video outputs.

He received updated programming libraries from Sony several days ago and one of the libraries has "cell grid online" functions.  And this functions can do virtually unlimited number of players online with no lag.  With this function, the game doesn't have to be connected to every online player.  A single PS3 will connect upto 6 players in x amount of online players, and other 6 players will do the same thing, connecting upto other 6 players in cell grid mode.   For example, I send some data to 6 people, and 6 people who received the data will also send the data to 6 people, which is total of 32 people(6 x 6) and on and on.  This was possible with no relay lag because of cell grid technology,  cell puts into grid mode immediately and opens socket for real-time streaming for online game. It doesn't matter how many people are on online, you are only connecting upto 6 players.  He also explained to me what if people disconnects from internet, he says there is a library function that cell automatically looks for other cells(other online player) and opens socket.
Hideo Kojima, "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3426 posts

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
Interesting.  Hopefully legit.  That would be nice.,
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9342 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Stop telling me these things , it makes my brain hurt in contemplation or whatever that word is , see what you've done
However, this is actually part of my sig.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Talk about confusing. Why does it have to be this complicated just to have 32 players online?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9588 posts

Jun 10, 2005
hahaha sorry, we don't need to know all this as a game players.. just enjoy it ,

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,snowcrash wrote:
Another inside scoop from my friend, a friend who also told me about dual video outputs.

He received updated programming libraries from Sony several days ago and one of the libraries has "cell grid online" functions.  And this functions can do virtually unlimited number of players online with no lag.  With this function, the game doesn't have to be connected to every online player.  A single PS3 will connect upto 6 players in x amount of online players, and other 6 players will do the same thing, connecting upto other 6 players in cell grid mode.   For example, I send some data to 6 people, and 6 people who received the data will also send the data to 6 people, which is total of 32 people(6 x 6) and on and on.  This was possible with no relay lag because of cell grid technology,  cell puts into grid mode immediately and opens socket for real-time streaming for online game. It doesn't matter how many people are on online, you are only connecting upto 6 players.  He also explained to me what if people disconnects from internet, he says there is a library function that cell automatically looks for other cells(other online player) and opens socket.

Lag is primarily caused by the internet connection, NOT processing.  This may up the total number of possible people that can play, but that still is primarily governed by everybodies connection...current processors can already pump out more data than any of our internet connections could hope to handle. 
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jun 10, 2005
32+ players with no lag would be awesome. I hope your right but next,time please only go into techy explanations if someone asks you to.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Steppy76 wrote:

snowcrash wrote:

He,received updated programming libraries from Sony several days ago and,one of the libraries has "cell grid online" functions.  And this,functions can do virtually unlimited number of players online with no,lag.  With this function, the game doesn't have to be connected to,every online player.  A single PS3 will connect upto 6 players in,x amount of online players, and other 6 players will do the same thing,,connecting upto other 6 players in cell grid mode.   For,example, I send some data to 6 people, and 6 people who received the,data will also send the data to 6 people, which is total of 32 people(6,x 6) and on and on.  This was possible with no relay lag because,of cell grid technology,  cell puts into grid mode immediately and,opens socket for real-time streaming for online game. It doesn't matter,how many people are on online, you are only connecting upto 6,players.  He also explained to me what if people disconnects from,internet, he says there is a library function that cell,automatically looks for other cells(other online,player) and opens socket.

Lag,is primarily caused by the internet connection, NOT,processing.  This may up the total number of possible people,that can play, but that still is primarily governed by everybodies,connection...current processors can already pump out more data than any,of our internet connections could hope to handle. 

Isn't,the PS3 only using a broadband  connection anyway, so there,shouldn't be much lag anyway if there will be no one on a dial-up,connection.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9588 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,Steppy76 wrote:

,snowcrash wrote:

Lag is primarily caused by the internet connection, NOT processing.  This may up the total number of possible people that can play, but that still is primarily governed by everybodies connection...current processors can already pump out more data than any of our internet connections could hope to handle. 

did i say anything about processing? it uses cell grid functions to avoid any lag on online.  you would know if you play mmorpg, if you have 60 ppl on same screen, you'll notice lag because you are connecting to all 60 people, with ps3 you don't need to connected to all 60 people.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,snowcrash wrote:

,Steppy76 wrote:

,snowcrash wrote:

did i say anything about processing? it uses cell grid functions to avoid any lag on online.  you would know if you play mmorpg, if you have 60 ppl on same screen, you'll notice lag because you are connecting to all 60 people, with ps3 you don't need to connected to all 60 people.

No, you will notice lag because even the faster connections take a minimum of a half a second for a button press to be received by other players.  What you are talking about is also not "lag", it's the amount of things being rendered at a given time are too much for the game engine to handle...and these functions also have nothing to do with that.  No "grid functions" are going to be able to remove lag.  What it does do is save the bandwidth being sent around allowing more people to connect, it will NOT reduce lag though.  Most of this is irrelevant to a MMORPGs as those have dedicated servers...these functions would apply purely to peer to peer based connections.  ,
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 63 (10 Views)
0 Likes