Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 06/07/2005
Offline
1089 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
If I understand this correctly, your information is sent to some players who then send it on to other players.  In my mind that would increase lag due to the extra transmission.  What I think I does achieve is reduce the bandwidth requirements since less information has to travel via the same path at any point in time.,
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/03/2003
Offline
21 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
Wow, 6x6=32 
,
,I guess since your a F.B. you can't do basic math...
,
,
,I have nothing wrong with FanBoys it is when they do something stupid like that.
,
,Oh, and By.The.Way.  6x6=36
,
Life is too short
MyRoutine
Play, Girls, Play, girls , sleep.(repeat)
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/29/2003
Offline
8799 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
it won't be boosting anyones internet connection, so i don't know what,the whole point of all this is. there will be lag as long as there is,anything to do with the internet.
,
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/28/2002
Offline
9588 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Steppy76 wrote:

,
,
,snowcrash wrote:
,

,
,
,Steppy76 wrote:

,
 

Yes I have, that is the lag inherent to an internet connection, that was my whole point and the fact that it happens when you are all by yourself proves my point.  No matter how much less information you have to send across that network there is still a delay in from when you "do something" to when it is received by the other machines and you receive the acknowledgement back.  Even on a home network there is lag(although at these speeds it's barely perceivable) and these connections are far faster than any internet connection we have.  Unless your ping is 0, you will have lag. ,

,
,

This is due to your network connection issue(something that sony can't fix), but not because due to number of ppl on online.  I see your point.  It's not full proof lag free because nature of local connection issue.  But this technology will help bring more people online without worring about lag.

,
,

A good way to put it would be that more people can be online BEFORE they have to worry about LAG above and beyond the normal lag associated with an internet connection.  Games that already are limited to strictly connection based lag won't have less lag with the new methods than before.  This should be quite helpful for games like socom 4, and battlefield:whatever theme they choose for the PS3...but not with sports games and the like.  The fewer people the game uses, the less benefit this will have. ,

,
,

,
true, it won't do good for sports game. i hope some how this gets implemented to mmorpg.  maybe it can by maintaining "cell" server on server side.  who knows... i'll post more info if i do get more details.
Hideo Kojima, "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/28/2002
Offline
9588 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,bbunny wrote:
Wow, 6x6=32 

I guess since your a F.B. you can't do basic math...


I have nothing wrong with FanBoys it is when they do something stupid like that.

Oh, and By.The.Way.  6x6=36
,

,
,
haha sorry about that.. i was thinking bit formation.. 2 4 8 16 32 64.. for some reason..
,
Hideo Kojima, "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/05/2004
Offline
854 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
From what I understand, this means that there will not be a single host,per se, but rather the work of a single host will be spread,across multiple ps3's (kind of like distributed computing).  My,question is this: doesn't this mean that a) people with fast internet,connections will benefit because other ps3's will help spread the data,,and b) people with slower internet connections will suffer because they,will be required to send more data then usual (i.e. instead of just,sending the data once to the server, it will have to send the same data,multiple times to multiple ps3's)?  Doesn't this go against the,fact that download speeds are faster then upload speeds? ,Obviously my question is flawed somewhere given that Sony is apparently,implementing this type of network structure, I'm just trying to figure,out what I am overlooking? Any ideas?
,
,edit: I think I just stole snoogan's question, sorry about that.,

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-10-2005 12:00 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/28/2002
Offline
9588 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Malloc wrote:
,
From what I understand, this means that there will not be a single host per se, but rather the work of the dedicated server will be spread accross multiple ps3's (kind of like distributed computing).  My question is this: doesn't this mean that a) people with fast internet connections will benefit because other ps3's will help spread the data, and b) people with slower internet connections will suffer because they will be required to send more data then usual (i.e. instead of just sending the data once to the server, it will have to send the same data multiple times to multiple ps3's)?  Doesn't this go against the fact that download speeds are faster then upload speeds?  Obviously my question is flawed somewhere given that Sony is apparently implementing this type of network structure, I'm just trying to figure out what I am overlooking? Any ideas?

edit: I think I just stole snoogan's question, sorry about that.
,
,

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-09-2005 11:53 PM
,


,

,
it's a streaming data using socket, so my guess is that the data packet will be fix.  the problem is that we don't know how much data(or bandwidth) needed for online gaming.  128kb/sec? 256kb/sec? if it is 128kb/sec or 256kb/sec then it doesn't need to send that data to all the people on online. only upto 6 people. which is lot better than 16 people or more.
Hideo Kojima, "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/05/2004
Offline
854 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005


snowcrash wrote:


Malloc wrote:
From,what I understand, this means that there will not be a single host per,se, but rather the work of the dedicated server will be spread accross,multiple ps3's (kind of like distributed computing).  My question,is this: doesn't this mean that a) people with fast internet,connections will benefit because other ps3's will help spread the data,,and b) people with slower internet connections will suffer because they,will be required to send more data then usual (i.e. instead of just,sending the data once to the server, it will have to send the same data,multiple times to multiple ps3's)?  Doesn't this go against the,fact that download speeds are faster then upload speeds? ,Obviously my question is flawed somewhere given that Sony is apparently,implementing this type of network structure, I'm just trying to figure,out what I am overlooking? Any ideas?

edit: I think I just stole snoogan's question, sorry about that.

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-09-2005 11:53 PM



it's a streaming data using socket,,so my guess is that the data packet will be fix.  the problem,is that we don't know how much data(or bandwidth) needed for online,gaming.  128kb/sec? 256kb/sec? if it is 128kb/sec or 256kb/sec,then it doesn't need to send that data to all the people on online. only upto 6 people. which is lot better than 16 people or more.


...but,not as good as just sending data to just one person (the host). ,Since servers are fast, they can afford to open a bunch of sockets at one time;,however, people with slower internet connections would benefit from,only having a single socket opened instead of 6.  Perhaps the,number of sockets open at a given amount of time is dependent on the,speed of the internet connection?

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-10-2005 12:09 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/24/2005
Offline
259 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005
Just imagine the posibilities.  Games like counter-strike source which has up to 64 player online, now double that.  double it again.  and a 3rd time.  Awsome. 512 player death match.
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/28/2002
Offline
9588 posts
 

Re: PS3 - Virtually Lag Free?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Malloc wrote:
,

,
,
,snowcrash wrote:

,
,
,Malloc wrote:
,
From what I understand, this means that there will not be a single host per se, but rather the work of the dedicated server will be spread accross multiple ps3's (kind of like distributed computing).  My question is this: doesn't this mean that a) people with fast internet connections will benefit because other ps3's will help spread the data, and b) people with slower internet connections will suffer because they will be required to send more data then usual (i.e. instead of just sending the data once to the server, it will have to send the same data multiple times to multiple ps3's)?  Doesn't this go against the fact that download speeds are faster then upload speeds?  Obviously my question is flawed somewhere given that Sony is apparently implementing this type of network structure, I'm just trying to figure out what I am overlooking? Any ideas?

edit: I think I just stole snoogan's question, sorry about that.
,
,

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-09-2005 11:53 PM

,
,

,
it's a streaming data using socket, so my guess is that the data packet will be fix.  the problem is that we don't know how much data(or bandwidth) needed for online gaming.  128kb/sec? 256kb/sec? if it is 128kb/sec or 256kb/sec then it doesn't need to send that data to all the people on online. only upto 6 people. which is lot better than 16 people or more.

,
,
...but not as good as just sending data to just one person (the host).  Since servers are fast, they can afford to open a bunch of sockets opened at one time; however, people with slower internet connections would benefit from only having a single socket opened instead of 6.  Perhaps the number of sockets open at a given amount of time is dependent on the speed of the internet connection?
,
,

Message Edited by Malloc on 06-10-2005 12:08 AM
,


,

,
i'm not sure, like Steppy said before. person can have lag because of their conneciton, but not due to number of players on online.  he says up to 6 people so maybe it can be lesser.  i don't know i guess if you have slow broadband then.. u r screwed? :smileytongue:
Hideo Kojima, "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 63 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes