Sep 05 2013
By: SLAPAHOES First Son 2 posts

PS3 fatty is dying! I have a few questions

8 replies 208 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

So my PS3 is getting YLODs. I have done the thermal compound fix twice now and have decided this will be the last time I mess with it. My questions are do I need to back of my any info up before I switch to the PS4. I understand I do need to capture any personal media I have on there but will I need anything else? I honestly plan on starting fresh with a PS4, new user name and all that. What can be done about the hard drive can I format it or is it better just to take it out if I decide to sell it for parts?

TIA

Message 1 of 9 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Re: PS3 fatty is dying! I have a few questions

Sep 5, 2013
I would defintly formatt the hard drive if your plaining on selling your ps3 for the parts. One question why not keep your account around for the ps4 ?
Message 2 of 9 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Sep 5, 2013

My condolences.

Thank you Sony, for putting gamers first. It's good to be back!

-Former 360 owner and future PS4 owner.
Message 3 of 9 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 5, 2013

I guess I could keep my original tag its allways an option. So will saving all my downloaded games matter? Will they play on the PS4?

Message 4 of 9 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 5, 2013

SLAPAHOES wrote:

So my PS3 is getting YLODs. I have done the thermal compound fix twice now and have decided this will be the last time I mess with it. My questions are do I need to back of my any info up before I switch to the PS4. I understand I do need to capture any personal media I have on there but will I need anything else? I honestly plan on starting fresh with a PS4, new user name and all that. What can be done about the hard drive can I format it or is it better just to take it out if I decide to sell it for parts?

TIA

If you just opened it up and slapped some thermal compound on the CPU and RSX and then closed it back up again, you could probably fix it completely by doing a reflow with a no-clean liquid flux. Also, thermal compound does make a difference. I recommend Prolimatech PK-3.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 5 of 9 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Will my Saved PS3 Didgetal Games work on the PS4? 

Well from what I know of, no they won't, but that won't matter, cause you still need your PSN ID off the PS3 to Play on the PS4 with... 

And all your Didgetal Games on the PS3 are attached to your ID, so you should have nothing to worry about there... 

If they work, they work, if not, then they don't, either way your Trophies should all appear on the PS4, & other Info, too...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 9 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
482 posts

Sep 6, 2013
My launch ps3 has had the ylod for almost 3 years now, i since since bought a new one, but the hair dryer trick absolutely works, upside down ps3 + hairdryer on rear vents for 15 min + cool down = ps3 chemotherapy
Message 7 of 9 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2698 posts

Sep 6, 2013

What a great name OP Smiley LOL

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 8 of 9 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Sep 7, 2013
My old 40 GB died last year as well. Just back up your saves to Plus.
Message 9 of 9 (97 Views)
0 Likes