Nov 21 2007
By: Norrick Gaming Beast 2533 posts

PS3 in a computer case?

50 replies 1571 views Edited Nov 21, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I was thinking there would be a couple benefits:

1) if it was sturdily mounted, you would not have to be so careful with it, metal is better than plastic, and no more "my ps3 is scratched"

2) ventilation, depending on which case you use, could be better, if you use a large ATX tower with plenty of fans I predict that you would keep your hardware cooler, and prevent problems down the road. Its kind of like using a hot video card in a small case vs. a large case.

3) this is the biggest reason I see beneficial: basically you can put hard drives in your case and not have to worry about "external" hard drives any more. Everythign would be internal in one big nice heavy somewhat more indestructable box.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this being done before? As far as I know from just the forums, one guy was doing a rackmount PS3 watercooled... that is a bit overboard for me. I just want to set up the hardware in a case in a similar manner to a normal computer (motherboard on a tray, interface devices in the bay drives, hard drives get stowed wherever they can fit). I need to know what kind of problems I can run into if I leap into the realm of "seriously considering this." Like what shape is the power supply, how will I mount the motherboard, what parts need to be grounded, and will the blueray drive fit in a standard cd rom bay, are there adapters for that sort of thing? Lots and Lots and lots and lots of things needed to be taken into account, but I don't think its that hard to accomplish if you have the right information to work with.

So yah, anyone know anything about this?

Message Edited by Norrick on 11-21-2007 04:32 AM
2012 is just around the corner...
Message 1 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6827 posts

Re: PS3 in a computer case?

Nov 21, 2007
No.. Im not looking for things that void my warranty..
Photobucket
Message 2 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1914 posts

Nov 21, 2007
Go nuts.. its your hardware.
Message 3 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2039 posts

Nov 21, 2007
Do it and post pics
Gamer Advisory Panel Member
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lord Hamm Boss MyspaceLord Hamm Rules You NoobLord Hamm Super Game Collection
Message 4 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5988 posts

Nov 21, 2007
I'm not that adventurous but if you do go through with this, please post pictures.
I'm sure several hardware mod web sites would host you pictures / information.
Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Message 5 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2533 posts

Nov 21, 2007
hah. no way am I venturing into the unknown, that is why I ask if anyone knows if this has been done. If someone can show me how someone has succsefully done this, or something very similar, then I may consider it.
2012 is just around the corner...
Message 6 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Nov 21, 2007
I modded mine.

I say modded, but really I just covered it in mud. Didn't look good so I cleaned it.
Message 7 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
431 posts

Nov 21, 2007
It could be done but, its a lot of work.  You'd also have to know about wiring and what not so you'd be able to extend the connections of all components.  You'd also probably seriously have to butcher the PC case to allow access to all ports so you'd need to be a decent modder. 

A few years ago there was a show on Tech TV called The Screen Savers.  A guy on there took a PC case and added a PC, XBOX, Super NES, and a few other consoles and threw them all together.  If he can do all of that in 1 case, you can seriously do it with a PS3 those it just wouldn't be practicle.  If it's not broken, why fix it?
Message 8 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
977 posts

Nov 21, 2007

Norrick wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I was thinking there would be a couple benefits:

1) if it was sturdily mounted, you would not have to be so careful with it, metal is better than plastic, and no more "my ps3 is scratched"

2) ventilation, depending on which case you use, could be better, if you use a large ATX tower with plenty of fans I predict that you would keep your hardware cooler, and prevent problems down the road. Its kind of like using a hot video card in a small case vs. a large case.

3) this is the biggest reason I see beneficial: basically you can put hard drives in your case and not have to worry about "external" hard drives any more. Everythign would be internal in one big nice heavy somewhat more indestructable box.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this being done before? As far as I know from just the forums, one guy was doing a rackmount PS3 watercooled... that is a bit overboard for me. I just want to set up the hardware in a case in a similar manner to a normal computer (motherboard on a tray, interface devices in the bay drives, hard drives get stowed wherever they can fit). I need to know what kind of problems I can run into if I leap into the realm of "seriously considering this." Like what shape is the power supply, how will I mount the motherboard, what parts need to be grounded, and will the blueray drive fit in a standard cd rom bay, are there adapters for that sort of thing? Lots and Lots and lots and lots of things needed to be taken into account, but I don't think its that hard to accomplish if you have the right information to work with.

So yah, anyone know anything about this?

Message Edited by Norrick on 11-21-2007 04:32 AM

It actually sounds like a cool idea. I mean, it is pretty unnecessary, something i wouldnt do. But i would love to see someone else do it.

You know whats funny, the first thing i pictured was you just putting the entire ps3 inside of an empty ps3 case.

You should try it, hell if you have some extra money, you could throw a 360 and a surround sound receiever and in there and have an ultimate console.
stupidpeople
Message 9 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3566 posts

Nov 21, 2007
I would be worried about heat displacement
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 10 of 51 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes