Reply
Sep 08 2013
By: timewasted Monster Hunter 32 posts
Offline

PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

49 replies 46857 views Edited Sep 8, 2013

Hello - forgive my ignorance but will the new Playstation 4 play 3D Blu-Ray DVDS ?

 

I just purchased a new Sony KDL55W900A tv in anticipation of release of the PS4. 

 

I now have 3D glasses that came with the tv but not sure if the PS4 plays 3D Blu Ray movies ?  Don't want to waste my money on a separate 3D player !

 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 50 (46,857 Views)
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
11685 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

timewasted wrote:

Hello - forgive my ignorance but will the new Playstation 4 play 3D Blu-Ray DVDS ?

 

I just purchased a new Sony KDL55W900A tv in anticipation of release of the PS4. 

 

I now have 3D glasses that came with the tv but not sure if the PS4 plays 3D Blu Ray movies ?  Don't want to waste my money on a separate 3D player !

 

Thanks.


i would assume that it will support it.. after all the ps3 does why wouldnt the ps4..

 

>

Message 2 of 50 (46,848 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28798 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013
Message 3 of 50 (46,845 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10899 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

timewasted wrote:

Hello - forgive my ignorance but will the new Playstation 4 play 3D Blu-Ray DVDS ?

 

I just purchased a new Sony KDL55W900A tv in anticipation of release of the PS4. 

 

I now have 3D glasses that came with the tv but not sure if the PS4 plays 3D Blu Ray movies ?  Don't want to waste my money on a separate 3D player !

 

Thanks.


I don't think it's been officially confirmed, yet, but the assumption is that 3D games and movies will continue on the PS4.  The PS4 will use a new generation of the Blu-ray reader that it's been using in the PS3 since launch, so the hardware to support 3D will still be there.

Message 4 of 50 (46,838 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/11/2013
Offline
4649 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/


But that does not give any information on if it will support 3D movies

 

 

 

the PS3 plays 3D movies but it is not listed in the specs. 

 

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/techspecs/assassin-s-creed-bundle.html

Message 5 of 50 (46,834 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
11685 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/


that answers nothing,, other than technical specs.....

 

ps3 had 3d bluray support since update 3.6.

 

and while 3d is a passing fad it is more of a yea it can support it if you want it..

 

there is nothing physically different between a bluray disc and a 3d blu ray disc.., the only difference is the data encoded on the disc..

its only the player that needs to be made to understand the 3d data.. which for the ps3 it was a simple firmware update that gave the ps3 the ability to use 3d bluray discs

 

>

Message 6 of 50 (46,830 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
11685 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2013

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/


But that does not give any information on if it will support 3D movies

 

 

 

the PS3 plays 3D movies but it is not listed in the specs. 

 

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/techspecs/assassin-s-creed-bundle.html


specs only list the physical specs

like what speeds the drive is capable of....

but the formats it would read is generally not there... 

 

im saying its safe to assume that the ps4 will...  seeing that sony went out of their way to get support for it added to the ps3...

in fact i would be surprised if the ps4 does not support it...

 

besides there is nothing physically different about the disc itself..  the only difference is what is encoded on the disc...

the only reason why people without a playstation, needs to get a 3d bluray player is because normal bluray players dont have the ability to understand the data thats on the 3d bluray disc..

 

an issue playstation could easily fix via a firmware update..

>

Message 7 of 50 (46,825 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10899 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

Teus wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/


that answers nothing,, other than technical specs.....

 

ps3 had 3d bluray support since update 3.6.

 

and while 3d is a passing fad it is more of a yea it can support it if you want it..

 

there is nothing physically different between a bluray disc and a 3d blu ray disc.., the only difference is the data encoded on the disc..

its only the player that needs to be made to understand the 3d data.. which for the ps3 it was a simple firmware update that gave the ps3 the ability to use 3d bluray discs

 


3D at home was a passing fad in 1995, maybe, but thanks to James Cameron (Avatar) it is very much becoming mainstream, indicated by the fact that 3D TVs are no longer 3-4 times the price of a 2D TV.  3D in a TV, particularly Passive technology, is generally only $50-100 more than the 2D counterpart in any particular model.

 

Today's 'passing fad' as far as home TVs go is the 'Smart' functionality (Apps, Wifi/ethernet connectivity, etc).

 

Five years ago, there were maybe 5 to 6 3D titles available on Amazon.  Today, there are over 20 pages of 3D BD choices.

Message 8 of 50 (46,818 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
11685 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Teus wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/


that answers nothing,, other than technical specs.....

 

ps3 had 3d bluray support since update 3.6.

 

and while 3d is a passing fad it is more of a yea it can support it if you want it..

 

there is nothing physically different between a bluray disc and a 3d blu ray disc.., the only difference is the data encoded on the disc..

its only the player that needs to be made to understand the 3d data.. which for the ps3 it was a simple firmware update that gave the ps3 the ability to use 3d bluray discs

 


3D at home was a passing fad in 1995, maybe, but thanks to James Cameron (Avatar) it is very much becoming mainstream, indicated by the fact that 3D TVs are no longer 3-4 times the price of a 2D TV.  3D in a TV, particularly Passive technology, is generally only $50-100 more than the 2D counterpart in any particular model.

 

Today's 'passing fad' as far as home TVs go is the 'Smart' functionality (Apps, Wifi/ethernet connectivity, etc).

 

Five years ago, there were maybe 5 to 6 3D titles available on Amazon.  Today, there are over 20 pages of 3D BD choices.


i know that 3d isnt going away...  just its no longer being used as a selling point... besides i dont see why the ps4 wont support it...  

 

>

Message 9 of 50 (46,813 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
6000 posts
 

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2013

timewasted wrote:

Hello - forgive my ignorance but will the new Playstation 4 play 3D Blu-Ray DVDS ?

 

I just purchased a new Sony KDL55W900A tv in anticipation of release of the PS4. 

 

I now have 3D glasses that came with the tv but not sure if the PS4 plays 3D Blu Ray movies ?  Don't want to waste my money on a separate 3D player !

 

Thanks.


PS4 supports 3D

 

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/22/ps4-will-support-4k-videos-and-photos-but-not-games-3...

 

While old, will add to the spec section on the first post of the PS4 MEGA Thread!

Message 10 of 50 (46,760 Views)
Reply
0 Likes