Aug 12 2013
By: RadioheadMilitia Splicer 42 posts

PS4 Gaikai Limitations

34 replies 541 views Edited Aug 12, 2013

So.. My question is this, what are the limitations to "backseat gaming". Meaning, if I'm to "hand off" a game I'm playing to my cousin, what are the limitations to him playing my game? Is there a time limit? Is there a saving limitation? I mean, can he just play my game until it's beaten? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Message 1 of 35 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: PS4 Gaikai Limitations

Aug 12, 2013

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

So.. My question is this, what are the limitations to "backseat gaming". Meaning, if I'm to "hand off" a game I'm playing to my cousin, what are the limitations to him playing my game? Is there a time limit? Is there a saving limitation? I mean, can he just play my game until it's beaten? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Errr. What does any of that have to do with Gaikai? Gaikai is Sony's cloud-gaming service. I don't think you understand what that is.

Message 3 of 35 (532 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6024 posts

Aug 12, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

Errr. What does any of that have to do with Gaikai? Gaikai is Sony's cloud-gaming service. I don't think you understand what that is.

Agreed, that's why I merely just posted the PS4 thread.

I think he is thinking about what the Xbox One restricts...

Message 4 of 35 (527 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5220 posts

Aug 12, 2013

da1writer wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

He's talking about the PS4 where you can allow your friend to take control of your game, but they haven't released the info he's asking about.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 5 of 35 (502 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Aug 12, 2013

da1writer wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

Well, he is referring to the "take over" funtionality of the PS4 - that could be related to Gaikai.  The truth is, we don't know.  I doubt they place many limits on this, but, here's a wonder I have:  If my firned plays my game remotely, does he/she get any earned trophies, or do I? 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 6 of 35 (499 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

da1writer wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

He's talking about the PS4 where you can allow your friend to take control of your game, but they haven't released the info he's asking about.

That is an interesting question. I'm guessing the friend must have to have the game either digitally or maybe physically to play for them, or it would maybe have some sort of check point feature (?) so as to not let people take advantage of this and be able to play through whole games they don't own themselves. Hmm....

Edit: I guess Sony could look at it as the same as sitting on the couch with the person and only one of them is playing it. Imagine if you could play some online coop this way. Person hooks up two controllers and you take over one of them. Hmm.... lol.

Message 7 of 35 (484 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

da1writer wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

I do understand what I'm talking about. If you go here you will see what I'm talking about. If you don't wish to go to a link, here is the quote,

"Mark Cerny explained that PS4 owners will be able to share their gameplay stream with friends, even giving their peers the ability remotely take control of the game to help them get through a tough spot. It's Gaikai's streaming technology, in action. "

But, ExMimic, you pretty much gave me what I was looking for.  The "take over" function is from Gaikai's spot from back in February. I was wondering why I couldn't find anything on it. Now I know. I'm curious about whether or not my friends need to own the game that I need help with, or can they just play any of the games I own if I need their help. Simple question, really, but I can't find any information on it.

Message 8 of 35 (482 Views)
Splicer
42 posts

Aug 12, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

da1writer wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

RadioheadMilitia wrote:

That is an interesting question. I'm guessing the friend must have to have the game either digitally or maybe physically to play for them, or it would maybe have some sort of check point feature (?) so as to not let people take advantage of this and be able to play through whole games they don't own themselves. Hmm....

Another good point. Because I was curious, if for say, I'm playing Watch Dogs, and I want to go out to eat, can I just hand the game off to my friend, and he can play it while I'm gone? Does it save to my system or theirs? It just seems like a loophole. Personally, I can't see myself letting someone beat my game for me, but it's something that I wouldn't mind having if I'm frustrated on a level and one of my friends can help me along the way.

Message 9 of 35 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Aug 12, 2013

Yeah, check out my edit in my other post.

I hope they go over more of how Gaikai will work at Gamescom and let us know if there will be an additional cost besides maybe PS+.

Message 10 of 35 (464 Views)
0 Likes