Nov 05 2013
By: Hunter926 Splicer 63 posts

PS4 Hard Drive SATA Controller?

[ Edited ]
23 replies 2466 views Edited Nov 5, 2013

Hi, I was looking through your online faq here, http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect1

I saw that the ps4 will have a SATA 3GB/s HDD inside of it, and that it will support hard drives smaller than 9.5mm and 160GB and up.

It states that the HDD is upgradable, however does not specify what type of SATA controller it will have.

I'm looking into a SSD and really don't want to waste my money on a faster SSD, if i will never be able to use the drive to it's full potential.

So my question is:

Can a sony official please specify the speed at which the SATA controller operates at inside the ps4? (eg. 1.5Gb/s, 3.0Gb/s, or 6.0Gb/s)

If your telling me the HDD is upgradable can you also tell me to what extent it is upgradable to?

If not how will I know i'm "upgrading" anything except storage space. It would make no sense to purchase a SSD if all the PS4 will have is a SATA 1.5Gb/s controller.

Thanks for your time,

Hunter

Message 1 of 24 (2,466 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4901 posts

Re: PS4 Hard Drive SATA Controller?

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

There really shouldn't be a huge difference in a SATA3 costs and it will dumb down IF the PS4 uses SATA2.

Are there SSD SATA2 still available? I would think those would be older and smaller data size. I have not looked but I think the newer larger SSD are all SATA3.

Regardless anything 2.5" and 1 or 1.5TB seem to be SATA3. As long as it is 2.5" and 9.5mm you will be fine. The connection will dumb down so getting a SATA3 is fine.

Message 2 of 24 (2,450 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

I understand it is backwards compatible, however if it has a SATA I 1.5Gb/s controller (like the PS3) then there's really no reason for me to purchase a SSD in the 1st place. But say it has SATA II 3.0Gb/s then it should be worth my money, and even more so for SATA III 6.0Gb/s.

This information could literally save me an extra $500+

Again, can a Sony Official please offer some insight on this matter?

Message 3 of 24 (2,437 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1110 posts

Nov 5, 2013

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

-------------------

Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"
"I played Playstation before it was cool"
Message 4 of 24 (2,423 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

Completely irrelevant to my question, here's why.

The PS3 ships with a 5400 rpm SATA II HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145530

However it only has a SATA I 1.5Gb/s Controller.

Why should I think that the ps4 will be any different?

I also stated this information in my original post, thanks though

Message 5 of 24 (2,414 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
279 posts

Nov 5, 2013

I would assume it has a SATA I controller... I dont see any need for anything faster when they recommend a 5400 rpm HDD.

Message 6 of 24 (2,402 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

Well, they don't necessarily recommend anything, just tell you what dimensions your replacement needs to be, and

what size the storage capacity needs to be.

They let us know minimum requirements. Intresting point about not seeing a need for it. And to an extent your right, but I want that last bit of performance and speed that only a SSD can offer. An SSD offers good improvments on the PS3 with it's SATA I, but I don't want to spend the money again, unless the hardware is better this time. On the PS3 it is an improvement but not worth another $500.

Here's a video showcasing that point, http://youtu.be/RAhiN1NGrKI?t=32s

For a more thorough review check this video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQqpQe8g6Y

You can clearly see a difference in loading times for scenes. but again that amount of difference is not worth that kind of money to me. I would need more to justify it.

Thank you for your input though

Message 7 of 24 (2,395 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 5, 2013

Again, are there any sony officials or forum adminitstrators that can check up on this, or let me know who to contact.? It is highly important to me.

I've tried your support line but they said "The engineers who designed this product are unavailable to be reached"

Who are these magical engineers, that just up and dissapear after creating the 1st model of the ps4? I find it hard to believe that

they cannot be contacted.

Message 8 of 24 (2,372 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

PS4 Hard Drive SATA Controller?

Nov 5, 2013

Hi, I was looking through your online FAQ here, http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect1

I saw that the PS4 will have a SATA II 3GB/s HDD inside of it, and that it will support hard drives smaller than 9.5mm and 160GB and up.

It states that the HDD is upgradeable, however does not specify what type of SATA controller it will have.

I'm looking into a SSD and really don't want to waste my money on a faster SSD, if I will never be able to use the drive to it's full potential.

So my question is:

Can a Sony official please specify the speed at which the SATA controller operates at inside the PS4? (eg. 1.5Gb/s, 3.0Gb/s, or 6.0Gb/s)

If your telling me the HDD is upgradeable can you also tell me to what extent it is upgradeable to?

If not how will I know I'm "upgrading" anything except storage space. It would make no sense to purchase a SSD if all the PS4 will have is a SATA I 1.5Gb/s controller.

Thanks for your time,

Hunter

Message 9 of 24 (2,360 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4901 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

Did you really have to make a second thread of the exact same post?

Edit: duplicate threads merged

U--J

Message 10 of 24 (2,343 Views)
0 Likes