Aug 28 2013
By: JKar275 Hekseville Citizen 283 posts

PS4: Sony Should Post a Comprehensive Guide to Upgrading the Hard Drive Prior to Nov. 15

5 replies 364 views Edited Aug 28, 2013

I'm planning on upgrading the PS4's 500GB hard drive to a 1TB SSD hybrid drive.  I'd greatly appreciate it if Sony would post a comprehensive guide for upgrading the PS4's hard drive on the Playstation Support website prior to Nov. 15, 2013.

I've pre-ordered my PS4 & I'd really like to be ready to upgrade the hard drive on Nov. 15.

Message 1 of 6 (364 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39424 posts

Re: PS4: Sony Should Post a Comprehensive Guide to Upgrading the Hard Drive Prior to Nov. 15

Aug 28, 2013

JKar275 wrote:

I'm planning on upgrading the PS4's 500GB hard drive to a 1TB SSD hybrid drive.  I'd greatly appreciate it if Sony would post a comprehensive guide for upgrading the PS4's hard drive on the Playstation Support website prior to Nov. 15, 2013.

I've pre-ordered my PS4 & I'd really like to be ready to upgrade the hard drive on Nov. 15.

The ability to upgrade the PS3's HDD has always been a pretty simple exercise & instructions for those are on this very website, I am sure the same will be done for the PS4 soon, I am also certain the support sections will be prepared to ably assist people with their many PS4 questions.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 6 (358 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Re: PS4: Sony Should Post a Comprehensive Guide to Upgrading the Hard Drive Prior to Nov. 15

Aug 28, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

JKar275 wrote:

The ability to upgrade the PS3's HDD has always been a pretty simple exercise & instructions for those are on this very website, I am sure the same will be done for the PS4 soon, I am also certain the support sections will be prepared to ably assist people with their many PS4 questions.

BRIT-KO

Thanks for your quick reply, BRIT-KO.

I'm definitely aware that the instructions for upgrading a PS3's HDD are available here.  However, I wouldn't call it a simple exercise due to the fact that it's so easy to strip the head of the blue screw if you don't have the correctly sized screwdriver .  Then to make matters worse, it's extremely difficult to purchase a replacement for that blue screw.

I truly hope that the PS4 will have screws that are easily replaced.

Also, Sony needs to state the maximum height for replacement PS3/PS4 hard drives because some people might purchase a larger capacity 2.5-inch hard drive (1.5-2TB) that won't fit into a PS3 (PS4?) because their height is 15mm - which is larger than the normal laptop hard drive height of 9mm.

For example, Western Digital makes 1.5TB and 2TB 2.5-inch hard drives that have a height of 15mm.  Please refer to the WD Green (middle column) here:  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/mobile/

Message 3 of 6 (344 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28812 posts

Aug 28, 2013

They have published a guide on how to update the hard drive for the PS3, and they will do so for the PS4. It's called an OWNER'S MANUAL. I know many in the gamer cognoscenti and many younger people these days don't trust anything that's printed, but you can also find instructions on the Knowledge Center of this very website.

The screwdriver size is a pretty simple thing to figure out. A #2 is too big, go to a #1, and make sure you hold it STRAIGHT.

Message 4 of 6 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Aug 28, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

They have published a guide on how to update the hard drive for the PS3, and they will do so for the PS4. It's called an OWNER'S MANUAL. I know many in the gamer cognoscenti and many younger people these days don't trust anything that's printed, but you can also find instructions on the Knowledge Center of this very website.

The screwdriver size is a pretty simple thing to figure out. A #2 is too big, go to a #1, and make sure you hold it STRAIGHT.

Yes, there is an owner's manual & the Support Knowledge Center that have detailed explanations on how to upgrade the PS3 HDD.

HOWEVER, BOTH OF THESE RESOURCES FAIL TO STATE THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE HEIGHT OF A REPLACEMENT HDD.  THEY SIMPLY STATE THAT THE SIZE NEEDS TO BE 2.5 INCH (INTERNAL TYPE) AND THE INTERFACE NEEDS TO BE SERIAL ATA.:

http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/CECH-2501A-3.30_1.pdf

THEREFORE, SOMEONE MIGHT MISTAKENLY ASSUME THAT A 1.5TB OR 2TB 2.5 INCH INTERNAL HARD DRIVE LIKE THESE FROM WESTERN DIGITAL WOULD FIT INTO THE PS3 - BUT THEY WON'T DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEIR HEIGHT IS 15MM (AND NOT THE STANDARD HEIGHT OF 9.5MM):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=830

Message 5 of 6 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Aug 28, 2013

JKar275 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Yes, there is an owner's manual & the Support Knowledge Center that have detailed explanations on how to upgrade the PS3 HDD.

HOWEVER, BOTH OF THESE RESOURCES FAIL TO STATE THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE HEIGHT OF A REPLACEMENT HDD.  THEY SIMPLY STATE THAT THE SIZE NEEDS TO BE 2.5 INCH (INTERNAL TYPE) AND THE INTERFACE NEEDS TO BE SERIAL ATA.:

http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/CECH-2501A-3.30_1.pdf

THEREFORE, SOMEONE MIGHT MISTAKENLY ASSUME THAT A 1.5TB OR 2TB 2.5 INCH INTERNAL HARD DRIVE LIKE THESE FROM WESTERN DIGITAL WOULD FIT INTO THE PS3 - BUT THEY WON'T DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEIR HEIGHT IS 15MM (AND NOT THE STANDARD HEIGHT OF 9.5MM):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=830

However, though expert use of a search engine and general knowledge in matters of the internet you came to the correct conclusion. Congratulations, old sport.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 6 of 6 (282 Views)