Last Guardian
11685 posts

Re: PS4 analog a/v

Jun 23, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

if it really is the devs interest to allow you to use twitch then they will do that...

There will probably be a high-priced license that will be required to do that at the software level, probably as a requirement of the M$ exclusivity contract.  No one is saying that we don't want the functionality, just that it seems unlikely that adoption will be widespread in this manner.

and again yoru weighing in with some pretty high assumptions

and as a economics teacher once told me,, is that you should never make assumptions..

I'm speculating.  There is a difference.

nope speculating or assuming there is no difference between the two

>

Message 61 of 103 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Dang, this was a big bummer for me. I'm glad I picked up the PS3 recently, I'll have to invest in an HDTV as well as my PS4. Some people need to understand that there are some people who just can't afford these things due to their choice of lifestyle. People have reasons for not getting an HDTV or whatever the case may be due to the choices they've made good or bad.

You shouldn't be-little someone because of that, it just depends on what luxurys they choose to have like a cellphone or internet, but that's anyone choice to decide and shouldn't be insulted for something like that. Unfortunatley the way the world is now-a-days companies expect that most people have upgraded to smartphones and HDTV's by now and most people have! Just that select few (like me) that are going to shout out and make some noice, but there are ways around this, like an adapater.

photo MastershakeSig_zpsf70b018d.jpg
Deuces Xbox 360 (6/23/13)
Reformed Xbox Member
So what if my sig ain't pretty, I think it's dope!
Message 62 of 103 (130 Views)
MVP Support
13270 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Bluedot_v2 wrote:

Dang, this was a big bummer for me. I'm glad I picked up the PS3 recently, I'll have to invest in an HDTV as well as my PS4. Some people need to understand that there are some people who just can't afford these things due to their choice of lifestyle. People have reasons for not getting an HDTV or whatever the case may be due to the choices they've made good or bad.

You shouldn't be-little someone because of that, it just depends on what luxurys they choose to have like a cellphone or internet, but that's anyone choice to decide and shouldn't be insulted for something like that. Unfortunatley the way the world is now-a-days companies expect that most people have upgraded to smartphones and HDTV's by now and most people have! Just that select few (like me) that are going to shout out and make some noice, but there are ways around this, like an adapater.

Glad you brought this up, Bluedot. 

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 63 of 103 (124 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Teus wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

if it really is the devs interest to allow you to use twitch then they will do that...

There will probably be a high-priced license that will be required to do that at the software level, probably as a requirement of the M$ exclusivity contract.  No one is saying that we don't want the functionality, just that it seems unlikely that adoption will be widespread in this manner.

and as a economics teacher once told me,, is that you should never make assumptions..

Untrue.

Assuming means you are taking something to be true, with no evidence. No other options.

Speculation means you are guessing, but are leaving a possibility of other options, usually with inconclusive evidence.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 64 of 103 (122 Views)
Last Guardian
11685 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Bluedot_v2 wrote:

you have to realize this is infact inevitable weither you are ready for it or not...  remember there was once a time when connecting a console to a tv required a small device that overrides the tv signal for channel 3 or 4

>

Message 65 of 103 (118 Views)
Last Guardian
11685 posts

Jun 23, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Teus wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Teus wrote:

Untrue.

Assuming means you are taking something to be true, with no evidence. No other options.

Speculation means you are guessing, but are leaving a possibility of other options, usually with inconclusive evidence.

it is no difference to me , unless there is proof to support what you are saying it is all assumptions

>

Message 66 of 103 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

Teus wrote:

WoolySpud wrote:

Teus wrote:

WoolySpud wrote:

Teus wrote:

WoolySpud wrote:

HDTV or Not this is still bad news for people that stream online through Twitch.tv.

PS3 uses HDCP agressively so in that not even the XMB displays if HDCP fails. Which means that unlike XBox360 you cannot connect a PS3 to an HDPVR, like the El Gato HD, via HDMI to capture game footage. so PS3 streamers are forced to use analog output...

But with PS4 not having analog output; If PS4 uses the same agressive HDCP policy then Twitch.tv streamers are screwed.

I have no issue with the PS4 having HDMI only but only so long as it allows HDMI Passthrough so i can stream through Twitch.tv

And dont argue with me that the PS4 can livestream through Ustream. 

USTREAM.tv Sucks sweaty balls and i refuse to give them the time of day.

you know people at twitch.tv does say that its not out of the question for ps4 to use that service...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/twitch-sdk-could-allow-games-to-be-streamed-from-any-platform/?a_d...

DiPietro says, despite an exclusive agreement in place with Microsoft for Xbox One integration, there is nothing in its current agreement that precludes games containing the Twitch SDK to broadcast from any platform, including the PlayStation 4.

Twitch has an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft for Hardware level support for streaming to twitch. The only way PS4 would be able to stream to twitch is for game developers to include the twitch.tv sdk in their game and have the game handle streaming to twitch.

That aint gonna happen.

how would you know???

are you a person who can see into the future?  if it really is the devs interest to allow you to use twitch then they will do that...

Because i am Orpheulon. Seer of the beyond. Knower of the inquestionable, Maker of incredible Taquitos...

Why the Frack would the developer devote resources to a functionality that is already handled by the hardware? They get no revenue from Twitch, Twitch does not pay game devs for including their SDK. The only thing adding Twitch support to a PS4 game does for a dev it take away from available system resources for their game.

If game developers this generation couldnt be bothered to include custom soundtracks and screenshot support to PS3 games, Things that were handled by hardware as long as the dev made use of the supporting system hooks, Then what makes you think they are going to put any effort into including twitch support.

and again how would you know, are you a dev?

im just saying you shouldnt be ruling anything out... and most of what your saying is heavily based on assumptions...  

and if twitch.tv support was to be added into a game, it would probably be one additional line or 2 of code..  which really shouldnt be that much of a hassle for such a pwoerful machine... especially if the console supports a simular service at a hardware level

My opinion isnt built on assumtions, Its based on the observed behavior of the games industry over the last 30+ years. EA, Ubisoft, Activision... They dont give 2 cats scrotums about your prefered streaming service. What they care about is cost and Profit.

Are you a programmer? Have you worked with the Twitch.tv SDK? You have no idea what it takes to broadgast to twitch.tv or to any service for that matter.

If the game has to handle the streaming to twitch, the game would have to, at minimum, handle User authentication, ensure proper compatable A/V Compression, monitor stream integrity, provide stream status information to the broadcaster.

That would not "probably be one additional line or 2 of code."

then theres VO support, Twitch.tv chatroom functionality, and viewer management (Chatroom moderation) if the game dev isnt half assing their twitch support.

All of which would have to monitored at all times by the game On top of whatever the game is doing. And done so in such a way that it does not compromise the game (framerate etc.)

Why even start to mess with that crap if the system already handles streaming on a hardware level, Even if it only streams through the most hated and reviled streaming service available?

Because ~.5% of my target demographic are active livestreamers on twitch and have more than 10 views per stream? 

They dont give a crap about your prefered streaming service. As far as they are concerned you should just be happy the game itself exists, Shut Up, and just hand them their money.

Message 67 of 103 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
633 posts

Jun 23, 2013

But they should be able to afford it, though. If you're considering even buying a PS4, then it only makes sense that you could reasonably afford to buy an HDTV, which is cheaper. I'm not saying you could buy them at the same time, however. It only makes sense that if you can afford a $400 product, then you can also afford something that costs less than $400. Wouldn't you agree?

It's not belittling if people are pointing out certain facts about things. If you can afford a PS4, then it stands to reason that you can afford an HDTV.

Message 68 of 103 (94 Views)
MVP Support
13270 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Alpha_Gamer wrote:

But they should be able to afford it, though. If you're considering even buying a PS4, then it only makes sense that you could reasonably afford to buy an HDTV, which is cheaper. I'm not saying you could buy them at the same time, however. It only makes sense that if you can afford a $400 product, then you can also afford something that costs less than $400. Wouldn't you agree?

It's not belittling if people are pointing out certain facts about things. If you can afford a PS4, then it stands to reason that you can afford an HDTV.

To a point, Alpha_Gamer. It would have been nice for Sony to have had both options open. So that those who still have SDTV's could use it and then move up to a HDTV once their older tv's die. It would have been a win-win for them, imo.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 69 of 103 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
633 posts

Jun 23, 2013
I just don't think that the "I can't afford it" card is applicable in this situation.

Message 70 of 103 (124 Views)
0 Likes