Welcoming Committee
7693 posts

Re: PS4 analog a/v

Jun 23, 2013

DJThrall wrote:
I emailed Sony, and I asked “Can you confirm or deny analog-AV out support with the PS4?” Not long afterward, I received a clear and concise answer in the affirmative. The Sony representative said “The information on our website is correct.” So, as it stands, Sony has officially confirmed to me that analog output will be supported with the PS4.

Where did the confusion start? Partially, I believe it’s due to the ambiguous labeling of the back of the PS4. It sports an optical out, an HDMI out, an ethernet port, and an “Aux” port. It seems that most people are assuming that the auxiliary port will be used exclusively with the PS4′s camera peripheral. Instead, the auxiliary port could function as a method of serving an analog signal from the PS4. It’s not confirmed how it works just yet, but that seems like the most likely scenario. Truth be told, HDMI-to-component or USB-to-component are also possible implementations.

Another point of confusion could be this press release Sony sent out during E3. It doesn’t mention the analog-AV out, so that explains why some outlets would assume that there would be no analog support.

Thanks -- hopefully this works out to be the case.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 103 (744 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jun 23, 2013
DJThrall, are you retarded?

It clearly says on the specs, that the A/V out options are HDMI, and optical. If it had analog, it would say so under that heading. You are wrong.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 103 (724 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11634 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

The system is HDMI only.

For $100, you can buy an el-cheapo HD tv. Sure it will be 19 inches and have bad sound, but everyone should upgrade to an HD tv within the next year if they have not done so already. My 32 inch Vizio was only $250 and it is pretty great quality.

"The business of the industry is business"
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 103 (722 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jun 23, 2013

About two years ago, I traded an iPad for a 37" Toshiba HDTV that worked great until I bought my plasma.  Craigslist.com, people.  For just over $100, you can buy a decent-sized HDTV used.  If you can afford $400 for a new Playstation, then surely you can find another $100 between now and launch day.

This is the same outcry as the one over backwards compatibility.  File this one under "things a 21st-century console shouldn't be pressed into doing."

PSN: sleepyeyes2k2
Reformed Xbox Gamer

21lob2s.png
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 103 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
633 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Three words: First World Problems.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 103 (710 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

Box9Missingo wrote:

xNeurosiis wrote:
Mature or not, it's 2013. People have had a sufficient amount of time to upgrade to an HDTV, especially since the prices on them have came down a lot in the past 5 years. If someone can't afford something, then that's their fault for not saving or budgeting their money wisely.

The Xbox One doesn't have component/RCA hookups either. And their reasoning, I'm sure, is the same as what I said above. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but there's really no reason to equip a console with component/RCA hookups.

That's nice to say, but again... not everyone can afford one. I can, but at this time... it's not really needed since said tv still works. Once it dies, then I'll get one. It's not worth putting money out there for a tv I don't really need.

As for budgeting, that's one really old excuse. People have lives and have budgets, bills to pay, mouths to feed etc., that come before buying a new tv. Tv's are a luxury, especially in this economy.

Anyone without an HDTV at this point probably shouldn't be looking into getting a next gen console anyways hate to sound like a jerk but honestly you can buy them cheap on craigslist or at stores now ... mine cost me $250 for a 32" that is great got it from radioshack 

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 103 (705 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 23, 2013
when i got my PS3 Slim With a 320 Gig Harddrive it came with a HDMI to component cable the HDMI side pluged into the PS3s HDMI slot and the Cables plugged into the red white and yellow ports on my TV now i am thinking if sony is not packing in one of these cables they will sell them as they would be fools not to
Want to Hear the Best Rock Music On The Net Check Out digitalrevolutionradio.com
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 103 (681 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7655 posts

Jun 23, 2013

DJThrall wrote:
when i got my PS3 Slim With a 320 Gig Harddrive it came with a HDMI to component cable the HDMI side pluged into the PS3s HDMI slot and the Cables plugged into the red white and yellow ports on my TV now i am thinking if sony is not packing in one of these cables they will sell them as they would be fools not to

Actually, it plugged into the A/V (Analog) Multiport that every PS3 has, including the latest super slim.  A cable by itself is not capable of converting a digital signal to an analog one.

If the spec sheet is accurate, the PS4 has no Analog AV output.  The AUX port is an INPUT.  It is listed under I/O, not A/V.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 103 (667 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7511 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

DJThrall wrote:

Actually, it plugged into the A/V (Analog) Multiport that every PS3 has, including the latest super slim.  A cable by itself is not capable of converting a digital signal to an analog one.

If the spec sheet is accurate, the PS4 has no Analog AV output.  The AUX port is an INPUT.  It is listed under I/O, not A/V.

Technically, you could make any port do anything.

HDMI-to-AV cables exist, but the hardware must support the cable. You could have a multiplexer switch that relays HDMI signals to the HDMI port when a regular HDMI cable is connected, but then relay AV signals to the HDMI port when the HDMI-to-AV cable is plugged in.

Same for the AUX port. You can relay signals to the electronics that handle the Eye when the camera is plugged in, or have AV signals come out when an AUX-to-AV cable is plugged in.

But I'm not holding my breath for AV support. Multiplexer chips, required to pull this off, adds $0.90 to $1.50 to production costs per unit (plus supporting parts). There's also the issue of adding extra hardware to convert Digital signals to Analog, driving up cost. So they might have initially planned to add AV support, but dropped it to keep it's nice price.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 103 (662 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7693 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

xChrisGTRx wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

xNeurosiis wrote:
Mature or not, it's 2013. People have had a sufficient amount of time to upgrade to an HDTV, especially since the prices on them have came down a lot in the past 5 years. If someone can't afford something, then that's their fault for not saving or budgeting their money wisely.

The Xbox One doesn't have component/RCA hookups either. And their reasoning, I'm sure, is the same as what I said above. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but there's really no reason to equip a console with component/RCA hookups.

That's nice to say, but again... not everyone can afford one. I can, but at this time... it's not really needed since said tv still works. Once it dies, then I'll get one. It's not worth putting money out there for a tv I don't really need.

As for budgeting, that's one really old excuse. People have lives and have budgets, bills to pay, mouths to feed etc., that come before buying a new tv. Tv's are a luxury, especially in this economy.

Anyone without an HDTV at this point probably shouldn't be looking into getting a next gen console anyways hate to sound like a jerk but honestly you can buy them cheap on craigslist or at stores now ... mine cost me $250 for a 32" that is great got it from radioshack 

Seriously? Some people have to wait. Even the Craiglist option would be out of the picture would be out of the picture for them.

As for myself, don't need one. I have a perfectly good tv. Why should people be forced to upgrade?

To be honest, it'll be a couple of years before I'd get a PS4. Hopefully by then my old tv will be dead, but I'm not holding my breath, since it's a pretty good tv. 

It feels like wasteful spending, imo. At least until my one tv dies. Then it'll be something that would be worth the investment.

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 103 (709 Views)
0 Likes