Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2008
Online
11457 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 16, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

I just wish their was confirmation of what it should have and a likely window for it.

 

I plan to buy something to play witcher 3 next yr, will PS4 have any of the missing features by then?  Who knows.

 

Will it ever have those features at all?  Who knows.

 

I dont want to miss a generation of Playstation gaming and break my streak since PS1, but I just cant buy it as is, how can I justify it to myself, much less my wife, lol.

 

The Ps3 was easy decision as it brought a whole new world with it, PS4 has lost 75% or more of that world and just seems so out of place.

 

If I knew Sony was never going to let it be what I thought it would launch as I could get over it, but for now I feel like they stringing me along for the ride, I dont want to yet another person who bought it and end up packing it up to make room for the PS3 again.

 

I like to know where I stand, and with PS4 I have no idea and it drives me batty.

 

 It is totally possible PS4 will never play 3D Blurays, or any form of my personally owned content, so all I would ever use it for is games, I am a family man and would feel very selfish spending that kind of money just for games, I feel bad buying myself most things for just myself.


i get it, i really do. and you're doing the smartest thing you can. looking at the pros & cons and basing your purchasing decision on that. and, you're right, it might not ever get everything, then again, it might. 

 

we don't know all of those variables, and neither does sony until they start looking at feedback, looking at data of what people are doing, looking at surveys, etc...but, none of those things happen overnight.

 

Yoshida has already said they set out to make a gaming machine. they did that. now, they have to decide what else to put into it, while still staying relevant to the competition *and* keeping things within a resonable budget, especially right now, for them.

 

they also have to prioritize everything in such a way to keep us happy, garner excitement, keep their budget in line, etc., all at a time when tech changes faster than it ever has. then, there are the launch issues that still have to be sorted, namely the save corruption glitch. 

 

all of this takes time. and we both know trends/market could change at anytime. here's an example, 3D, a feature you want. it *might* never come simply because 3D has not taken off like sony, and others, hoped it would. if there's no return on the investment, then it'll slowly stop being supported by everyone, not just sony.

 

the only thing i can suggest to you, is to be patient and see what happens. we both know sony isn't going to make any "promises" on anything, unless they know that it's ready and coming. 

Message 61 of 67 (411 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 16, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ch2423 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

ch2423 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ch2423 wrote:

I'm just glad the car industry doesn't operate like videogames.  The 2015 Honda Accord wouldn't have a radio, seat belts, air bags or ABS.  They would be delivered at a later time and you'd just install them, even though the 2014 model had them.  


See what I mean......


With your inability to counter it, I'm confident in the fact I'm right.  Thank you.


Most people on these forums who complain about people who have an issue will not try to counter a valid statement due to the old saying.

 

 

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

 

 

That is why when you do make a good point, and/or they run out of smart sounding replies they have heard other say they resort to short non-responses or even name calling/stat producing/attempts to discredit, etc.

 

 

I have begun to understand it as you have, and I am sure others realise this as well. Well played sir.

 

 

 

 

 


I believe you to be 100% correct.  It seems ghost doesn't even know what the topic is about anymore.  He posts just to...I don't even know why he posts.  I'm just happy I make meaningful contributions and don't post just to see my count go up.  


 yet you didn't make any contributions, you're just paying lip service with someone else.....

And there you again singling me out on a VERY arbitrary matter.


I thought his car analogy was fitting.

 

If you dont like it, how about you make one?

 

Find something that has become standard and very useful in most products which should be removed in future products because some othe device does it.

 

Essentially come up with a good point about why a device that does one thing is better then all the previous devices which did multiple.

 

Cars with built in speakers/audio systems is about as pure as it gets, unless you can do better?  All responses since been in regard to the critism of that analogy or there abouts.

 

He is basically asking you to step up and explain better what you feel we have all failed at, but can you?  We want you to be more active in the battle, you post a lot but many times dont add to the conversation, I would love it if you did.

 

You here enough, why not get involved for real, instead of side lining it with the peanut gallery?  I know you can do better.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 62 of 67 (410 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 16, 2014

ctfw529 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

I just wish their was confirmation of what it should have and a likely window for it.

 

I plan to buy something to play witcher 3 next yr, will PS4 have any of the missing features by then?  Who knows.

 

Will it ever have those features at all?  Who knows.

 

I dont want to miss a generation of Playstation gaming and break my streak since PS1, but I just cant buy it as is, how can I justify it to myself, much less my wife, lol.

 

The Ps3 was easy decision as it brought a whole new world with it, PS4 has lost 75% or more of that world and just seems so out of place.

 

If I knew Sony was never going to let it be what I thought it would launch as I could get over it, but for now I feel like they stringing me along for the ride, I dont want to yet another person who bought it and end up packing it up to make room for the PS3 again.

 

I like to know where I stand, and with PS4 I have no idea and it drives me batty.

 

 It is totally possible PS4 will never play 3D Blurays, or any form of my personally owned content, so all I would ever use it for is games, I am a family man and would feel very selfish spending that kind of money just for games, I feel bad buying myself most things for just myself.


i get it, i really do. and you're doing the smartest thing you can. looking at the pros & cons and basing your purchasing decision on that. and, you're right, it might not ever get everything, then again, it might. 

 

we don't know all of those variables, and neither does sony until they start looking at feedback, looking at data of what people are doing, looking at surveys, etc...but, none of those things happen overnight.

 

Yoshida has already said they set out to make a gaming machine. they did that. now, they have to decide what else to put into it, while still staying relevant to the competition *and* keeping things within a resonable budget, especially right now, for them.

 

they also have to prioritize everything in such a way to keep us happy, garner excitement, keep their budget in line, etc., all at a time when tech changes faster than it ever has. then, there are the launch issues that still have to be sorted, namely the save corruption glitch. 

 

all of this takes time. and we both know trends/market could change at anytime. here's an example, 3D, a feature you want. it *might* never come simply because 3D has not taken off like sony, and others, hoped it would. if there's no return on the investment, then it'll slowly stop being supported by everyone, not just sony.

 

the only thing i can suggest to you, is to be patient and see what happens. we both know sony isn't going to make any "promises" on anything, unless they know that it's ready and coming. 


I agree with almost everything except the 3D part not completely.

 

People keep saying 3D failed, but in theaters it results in increased ticket sales everytime.

 

The truth of the matter is that the market got flooded with home 3D that is sub par mostly LCD based in my experence, so people with poor 3DTV's believe that is as good as it gets in their house, yet they still go to the 3D movies in the theater.

 

I dont think 3D can die until it is replaced by something else, there is a lot of pressure for directors/producers to create 3D content as it directly leads to increased sales, why is that?

 

Now if more people had high quality 3d players (What the PS4 could be), and great in home 3D(what Morpheous should be), then the PS4 could actually push the format to solidify it in peoples homes, much like PS3 did for Bluray.

 

I think thats another thing about this PS4, its not the under dog anymore, I loved routing for the PS3 and Bluray, the excitement of the competition, etc.  Now it just all seems so paint by numbers, like Sony wont do anything unless they think MS will.  Guess what MS allows external capture device, so Sony is patching it in, MS is pathcing in external HDD's, so Sony is thinking about doing it, etc.

 

I hate companies that just play follow the leader, but it is the nature of the beast.  For that reason I am routing for MS this gen, the only way we see improvment is if they do I fear.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 63 of 67 (401 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 04/05/2003
Offline
13294 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 17, 2014

renejr818 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Not another one of these threads.......


Yep another one of these threads.......


8KFAJSZ.gif


You whine more than my baby niece. If you don't like these threads then don't click on them you cry baby. 


OR Add this threads and all the ones like it into one thread instead of seeing them pop up every 10 minutes.

Message 64 of 67 (371 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2008
Online
11457 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 17, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

I agree with almost everything except the 3D part not completely.

 

People keep saying 3D failed, but in theaters it results in increased ticket sales everytime.

 

The truth of the matter is that the market got flooded with home 3D that is sub par mostly LCD based in my experence, so people with poor 3DTV's believe that is as good as it gets in their house, yet they still go to the 3D movies in the theater.

 

I dont think 3D can die until it is replaced by something else, there is a lot of pressure for directors/producers to create 3D content as it directly leads to increased sales, why is that?

 

Now if more people had high quality 3d players (What the PS4 could be), and great in home 3D(what Morpheous should be), then the PS4 could actually push the format to solidify it in peoples homes, much like PS3 did for Bluray.

 

I think thats another thing about this PS4, its not the under dog anymore, I loved routing for the PS3 and Bluray, the excitement of the competition, etc.  Now it just all seems so paint by numbers, like Sony wont do anything unless they think MS will.  Guess what MS allows external capture device, so Sony is patching it in, MS is pathcing in external HDD's, so Sony is thinking about doing it, etc.

 

I hate companies that just play follow the leader, but it is the nature of the beast.  For that reason I am routing for MS this gen, the only way we see improvment is if they do I fear.


sorry, i should've clarified myself better, home 3D is having a tough time. movie theatre 3D is fine. and that's where i think the connection breaks down. most people will go see a movie in 3D at the theatre, but most can/will do without at home, especially when it's a choice between 3D functionality vs "smart" functionality.

 

at CES 2013 (Jan 2013) analysts predicted 3D was dead because barely any new 3D sets were brought/shown. then sales of 3D TVs rose by 8.3% for 2013, while smartTVs sales rose 55% in 2013. when shopping for TVs, most consumers are presented with a choice, 3D or smartTV. the cost is pretty much the same between the two, but getting both will jump the price up $500. i know i had this same choice last year, i chose a smartTV. when you read reviews and comments on TVs, most peoples' issues with it are simply that they don't want to wear the glasses on their couch, in their homes. 

 

silly reason, but the numbers don't lie, 3D is having a tough time penetrating homes. i wish this wasn't the case, as i would like to pick up a big 3D tv at some point in the future. there is something else coming, and almost all of the manufacturers, including sony, are pushing big, 4K. that's the next big thing, as far as sales, marketing, home penetration, etc. Personally, i think that's why sony gave us the 3D update on the PS3, to solidify bluray even more, not 3D penetration.

 

i would like to get the 3D update as well, and we all know sony can do it through an update, since they did it with the ps3, but the question becomes, "do they give it to us and risk cannabalizing their, already pretty cheap 3D player business". remember, sony are a company in the business of making money. i know it's disheartening to think of it in those terms, but that's just the way it is. again, the numbers don't lie. sony isn't in the best financial state right now, everything they do *has* to be carefully planned and thought out.

 

the stuff about MS isn't really correct either. we've known that the PS4 had the HDCP block on it since September. it was also confirmed by Yoshida on the same day that the block would be coming off in an upcoming update, and here we are expecting it any day now. as far as external drives, i haven't seen anything from anywhere that infers sony looking into external drives, why would they, we're allowed to change out the HDD already, we don't need external, really. 

 

tech companies will always follow each other. all ompanies, in all sectors do this. they have to, to stay relevant to their competition. you brought up MS, so i will say this; sure, they've had a couple "feature" updates, but if you look at the patch notes, 90% of those first 2 updates were "features" the PS$ already has. it's only been this latest update from them that actually gives the One anything over the PS4. furthermore, i'm not sure where you were for all of the internet rage MS incurred after their reveal, but they were the ones who backpeddled to bring the One more inline with the PS4, not the other way around.

 

MS isn't doing anything more than sony is, really. they have their direction, sony has theirs. all you can do is, is to do what you've been doing and that's waiting to see if it fulfills your needs at some point. never know, maybe the One would be a better fit for your needs. nothing wrong with that either.

 

 

 

 

Message 65 of 67 (359 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 17, 2014

ctfw529 wrote:



sorry, i should've clarified myself better, home 3D is having a tough time. movie theatre 3D is fine. and that's where i think the connection breaks down. most people will go see a movie in 3D at the theatre, but most can/will do without at home, especially when it's a choice between 3D functionality vs "smart" functionality.

 

at CES 2013 (Jan 2013) analysts predicted 3D was dead because barely any new 3D sets were brought/shown. then sales of 3D TVs rose by 8.3% for 2013, while smartTVs sales rose 55% in 2013. when shopping for TVs, most consumers are presented with a choice, 3D or smartTV. the cost is pretty much the same between the two, but getting both will jump the price up $500. i know i had this same choice last year, i chose a smartTV. when you read reviews and comments on TVs, most peoples' issues with it are simply that they don't want to wear the glasses on their couch, in their homes. 

 

silly reason, but the numbers don't lie, 3D is having a tough time penetrating homes. i wish this wasn't the case, as i would like to pick up a big 3D tv at some point in the future. there is something else coming, and almost all of the manufacturers, including sony, are pushing big, 4K. that's the next big thing, as far as sales, marketing, home penetration, etc. Personally, i think that's why sony gave us the 3D update on the PS3, to solidify bluray even more, not 3D penetration.

 

i would like to get the 3D update as well, and we all know sony can do it through an update, since they did it with the ps3, but the question becomes, "do they give it to us and risk cannabalizing their, already pretty cheap 3D player business". remember, sony are a company in the business of making money. i know it's disheartening to think of it in those terms, but that's just the way it is. again, the numbers don't lie. sony isn't in the best financial state right now, everything they do *has* to be carefully planned and thought out.

 

the stuff about MS isn't really correct either. we've known that the PS4 had the HDCP block on it since September. it was also confirmed by Yoshida on the same day that the block would be coming off in an upcoming update, and here we are expecting it any day now. as far as external drives, i haven't seen anything from anywhere that infers sony looking into external drives, why would they, we're allowed to change out the HDD already, we don't need external, really. 

 

tech companies will always follow each other. all ompanies, in all sectors do this. they have to, to stay relevant to their competition. you brought up MS, so i will say this; sure, they've had a couple "feature" updates, but if you look at the patch notes, 90% of those first 2 updates were "features" the PS$ already has. it's only been this latest update from them that actually gives the One anything over the PS4. furthermore, i'm not sure where you were for all of the internet rage MS incurred after their reveal, but they were the ones who backpeddled to bring the One more inline with the PS4, not the other way around.

 

MS isn't doing anything more than sony is, really. they have their direction, sony has theirs. all you can do is, is to do what you've been doing and that's waiting to see if it fulfills your needs at some point. never know, maybe the One would be a better fit for your needs. nothing wrong with that either.

 

 

 

 


 

Your tight most do choose smart over 3D,  but IMO its an odd choice.  These are HDTV's, what is connected to that tv?

 

Well Bluray players and game consoles, both of which have all the smart stuff built into them.

 Its just software mostly, where as the 3D is msotly a hardware feature that cant be added by another device.

 

How many ways to access netflix do I need on one tv? LOL.  Although the remotes with built in keyboards would be pretty convienient, but when I buy I try to squeeze as much functionality in total as possible.  For this is just seems a lot easier to save the $500 and buy a 3D tv and when you buy a bluray player or PS3 get the internet stuff with those.

 

I also stand by my statement that there is a lot of very poor quality home 3D setups, some people actually believe thats as good as it gets in your home for less then $10,000.  I just wish everyone got to experience it right at least once to truely decide if its worth while to them.  But ya at home you want to lie down some times, not conducive to wearing the glasses.

 

 

 

And I always knew MS was like that, Sony used to pretend they were more innovative.  It was just disheartening to see them prove this isnt their way anymore.  But hey they still gonna bring out tech to copy the very best like the Occulus thing they are copying and has now been bought by facebook seems promising, if Sony improve from their design they will have a winner for sure.  If you gotta steal, steal from the best!

 

I have been really considering a xbone as its cheaper here then the PS4 now.  Plus its readily available in every store and never sells out anymore.  Plus i have quite a few friends who own xbones and only 1-2 that own PS4's.

I was just really pumped to finally play games without upscaling, this should improve performance in many ways to what is already a extremely lag free experience.  I hope they updates coming out allow xbone to actually do 1080p then my decision will pretty much be made as all the best games announced so far are multiplatform, except Infamous.

 

But then I figured if I am going to get an xbone, why not just build a pc?  x consoles dont usually get real exclusives, as they are almost always available on PC as well but in a superior form.  It was one of the big negatives of being a 360 owner last gen too.

 

That is the great thing about PS exclusives, you know you are getting the absolute best version of the game possible.

 

I hate not being in next gen yet, but at least the ps3 is still being very good to me and with all the new games via plus I can wait.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 66 of 67 (341 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2008
Online
11457 posts
 

Re: PS4 feels like a beta

Apr 17, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

 

Your tight most do choose smart over 3D,  but IMO its an odd choice.  These are HDTV's, what is connected to that tv?

 

Well Bluray players and game consoles, both of which have all the smart stuff built into them.

 Its just software mostly, where as the 3D is msotly a hardware feature that cant be added by another device.

 

How many ways to access netflix do I need on one tv? LOL.  Although the remotes with built in keyboards would be pretty convienient, but when I buy I try to squeeze as much functionality in total as possible.  For this is just seems a lot easier to save the $500 and buy a 3D tv and when you buy a bluray player or PS3 get the internet stuff with those.

 

I also stand by my statement that there is a lot of very poor quality home 3D setups, some people actually believe thats as good as it gets in your home for less then $10,000.  I just wish everyone got to experience it right at least once to truely decide if its worth while to them.  But ya at home you want to lie down some times, not conducive to wearing the glasses.

 

 

 

And I always knew MS was like that, Sony used to pretend they were more innovative.  It was just disheartening to see them prove this isnt their way anymore.  But hey they still gonna bring out tech to copy the very best like the Occulus thing they are copying and has now been bought by facebook seems promising, if Sony improve from their design they will have a winner for sure.  If you gotta steal, steal from the best!

 

I have been really considering a xbone as its cheaper here then the PS4 now.  Plus its readily available in every store and never sells out anymore.  Plus i have quite a few friends who own xbones and only 1-2 that own PS4's.

I was just really pumped to finally play games without upscaling, this should improve performance in many ways to what is already a extremely lag free experience.  I hope they updates coming out allow xbone to actually do 1080p then my decision will pretty much be made as all the best games announced so far are multiplatform, except Infamous.

 

But then I figured if I am going to get an xbone, why not just build a pc?  x consoles dont usually get real exclusives, as they are almost always available on PC as well but in a superior form.  It was one of the big negatives of being a 360 owner last gen too.

 

That is the great thing about PS exclusives, you know you are getting the absolute best version of the game possible.

 

I hate not being in next gen yet, but at least the ps3 is still being very good to me and with all the new games via plus I can wait.


on my LG smartTV, everything is on it, browser, netflix and all of those kinds of apps, DLNA, mirrorcast, etc. that's the best part of it, i don't need any other devices to do any of that stuff. i find more value in doing everything with 1 TV remote, than having to deal with multiple remotes, switching inputs, etc. with the smartTV, i just press the "smart" button and the UI pops up and the remote acts like a mouse so i just move the cursor to whatever app i want to use and hit the button, and it starts. when i want to go back to cable, i just hit "smart" again, and it switches back.

 

for my needs, i'd rather have the smart options over the 3D options first. 

 

as far as peoples' home setups, it's probably more to do with what they can afford. i don't know a best buy in the US that doesn't have a full blown 3D set-up display, in the store, for people to try out for themselves. and those aren't set up with cheap devices either. so, if people have poor set-ups, they either, couldn't afford better or they just didn't do any research. either way, that's on them.

 

i still don't get where you're saying sony is following anyone. for this next gen, they've done everything on their own, they haven't followed MS in any way, it's been MS who've changed policies and added things the ps4 could already do. furthermore, sony has been working on Morpheus for longer than the oculus guys, patent filings show that, so they're not following anyone there either.

 

honestly, you might as well get a One. it seems like it'll fit your needs a lot better than a PS4 ever will, even if they start adding more features. i don't mean to offend with that, but it really does sound like you're in the market for a more "all-in-one" device, and that's the One, not the PS4. Yoshida said it himself, "they set out to make a games machine first and foremost".

Message 67 of 67 (334 Views)
Reply
0 Likes