Jun 27 2013
By: RatchettClank First Son 7 posts

PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

20 replies 720 views Edited Jun 27, 2013
I was thinking about this. I made my account when I was younger and have always wanted to change my name. I have PS+ with this account so I can't just make a new one. But I have an idea. What if the first time you sign in to the PS4 it asks if you would like to change your PSN username? Or maybe make it where you can pay to change your name. I know many other people besides me would like to change their name. Just an idea though. Reply to this post with your opinion on this idea.
Message 1 of 21 (720 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 27, 2013

Friend, that sounds dangerously seditious.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 2 of 21 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Jun 27, 2013
I found this weird switching from Xbox to PS. I changed my name on Xbox like 3 times. Of course they charged for it. Like $10 or $15 for a change :/
Message 3 of 21 (697 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
489 posts

Jun 27, 2013

oh lord, please help us all. Another cannon fodder aka noob with less than 5 posts, log on just to make another thread about name change issue. I wonder if all these noobs are related or something. Does stupidity run in the family? lol. Sony knows if they do allow name change, people will always find another way to complain about something else, a never ending cycle. 

Message 4 of 21 (677 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Jun 27, 2013

I would personally be willing to pay money to change my crappy PSN name. I don't really want to run around using my real name, either. I know they warned you when you first signed up, but seriously if you sign up at like 15-16 and you reflect on your crappy name 3-4 years later....

$399 wouldn't be worth it for a name change, but I still want a PS4.

Message 5 of 21 (669 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Changing your name is understandable but how often? It must be annoying to check your friends list and wonder what happened to them. Oh they just changed their name again.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 6 of 21 (665 Views)
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013
I had that problem when I was on Xbox. People changing their name and not saying anything was really annoying. I had made another main account awhile back and it became my permanent one. I'm done changing my name.
If you add me- let me know your from forum. I get a lot of request.
Message 7 of 21 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 27, 2013

It'll be what it'll be. If they eventually allow for such things, I think that's great, and count me in the queue! If not, I'll simply have to deal with it, same as I've always had to since this name fell out of favor with me.

But think of this: the PSN is integrated; if it's an option on the PS4, they'd have to somehow allow PS3 and Vita users to do the same. I doubt that such a thing could be PSN-locked to users of a single platform.

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 8 of 21 (613 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5017 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

The problem with allowing name changing can be seen on xbox, when you do change your name the old name does not become available to use so this only adds to the shortage of names available. 

Message 9 of 21 (605 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

The problem with allowing name changing can be seen on xbox, when you do change your name the old name does not become available to use so this only adds to the shortage of names available. 

Perhaps, though I'd sooner attribute that to halfassed implementation. With proper documentation (timestamps, tracking etc.), I'm certain that it could work.

Hypothetically, let's say "Bob" relinquished control of the name "GAMEDUDE". The system would take note of this, and free up the name. If "Dave" picks up the name "GAMEDUDE", the system would take note of this, too, and keep track of the new name from there. Complaints made against Dave wouldn't reflect badly on Bob due to the recordkeeping.

But then again, I'm not a database savant, so what do I know? *shrug*

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 10 of 21 (591 Views)