Reply
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 27, 2013

FeralToki wrote:

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

The problem with allowing name changing can be seen on xbox, when you do change your name the old name does not become available to use so this only adds to the shortage of names available. 


Perhaps, though I'd sooner attribute that to halfassed implementation. With proper documentation (timestamps, tracking etc.), I'm certain that it could work.

 

Hypothetically, let's say "Bob" relinquished control of the name "GAMEDUDE". The system would take note of this, and free up the name. If "Dave" picks up the name "GAMEDUDE", the system would take note of this, too, and keep track of the new name from there. Complaints made against Dave wouldn't reflect badly on Bob due to the recordkeeping.

 

But then again, I'm not a database savant, so what do I know? *shrug*


Far too many potential legalities involved with this one.  If someone else takes the old name, there could be a ton of mistaken identity.  Even with the documentation, it's a headache neither M$ or Sony should have to deal with.

 

Some of you are also forgetting that M$ didn't always allow this feature.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 11 of 21 (212 Views)
First Son
Registered: 02/05/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013
There is no reason to be so rude, I was just stating an idea. I have had my PSN since the Playstation 3 came out, and at that time I was about 8 or 9. At the time I named myself RatchettClank (after the game if you are too ignorant to get that) because that was my favorite game. But now I want to change it. It's that simple.
Message 12 of 21 (188 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013

RatchettClank wrote:
There is no reason to be so rude, I was just stating an idea. I have had my PSN since the Playstation 3 came out, and at that time I was about 8 or 9. At the time I named myself RatchettClank (after the game if you are too ignorant to get that) because that was my favorite game. But now I want to change it. It's that simple.

So, now you are a teenager, and you want to change your ID?  That's fair. 

 

We understand what you are asking.

 

We are stating why it isn't a probable feature at this time.  If you think someone in particular is being rude, I suggest you click the 'reply' button below their particular post, then click the 'quote' button at the top of the reply.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 13 of 21 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/05/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013
I was trying to direct that at someone. None of you are being rude except for one. I pressed reply, but I guess it glitches up. And also, it's not because I'm a teenager, but that many people besides myself would also like that feature.
Message 14 of 21 (178 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
38875 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013

RatchettClank wrote:
I was trying to direct that at someone. None of you are being rude except for one. I pressed reply, but I guess it glitches up. And also, it's not because I'm a teenager, but that many people besides myself would also like that feature.

Speak for yourself.

 

P.S. It's not going to happen, may as well move on & ask for something else that PS won't get like Minecraft!

 

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 15 of 21 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/05/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

RatchettClank wrote:
I was trying to direct that at someone. None of you are being rude except for one. I pressed reply, but I guess it glitches up. And also, it's not because I'm a teenager, but that many people besides myself would also like that feature.

Speak for yourself.

 

P.S. It's not going to happen, may as well move on & ask for something else that PS won't get like Minecraft!

 

BRIT-KO


Okay, I see your point. Sorry if this was a pointless post, I just don't get on the forums a lot and was wanting to see other people's opinions. Maybe I can just try to transfer saved data some way, I am not really sure. But anyways, again, sorry if this was pointless.
Message 16 of 21 (159 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13508 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013

Don't sites not allow changes in Usernames if there is already someone with that name? It can happen.

 

Also, I saw a video on IGN giving a more in depth look on the PS4's interface. They showed the friends list. Some had avatars and usernames. Others had their real name and picture as if it was a social network.

 

If this were to be implemented, then changing the Username can be possible.

Message 17 of 21 (154 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Don't sites not allow changes in Usernames if there is already someone with that name? It can happen.

 
...changing the Username can be possible.

Yes, usernames change all over the place.  In the case of the current PSN architecture, it may not be a good idea.  No one is arguing whether or not it CAN be done, just discounting the probability of it happening, due to the potential effects of the idea.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 18 of 21 (147 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/15/2005
Offline
26 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013
In regards to the Xbox statement, that's not entirely true. Once you change your name the previous name is only unavailable for 90 days to other people, the original owner of the name can reclaim it for a price at anytime during those 90 days. After the 90 days the name becomes available the world, this happens because at the 90 day point the name is automatically removed from any friends list out there and is unassociated with all accounts and emails
Message 19 of 21 (145 Views)
First Son
Registered: 07/06/2009
Offline
17 posts
 

Re: PS4 gives option to change username (idea)

Jun 28, 2013
I would pay to change my name. This name was created years ago... I am not who I was then and would do anything to change it. Not anything, but pay money, def.
Message 20 of 21 (130 Views)
Reply
0 Likes