Mar 31 2014
By: UFOGoldorak First Son 25 posts

PS4 is a bandwidth hog

22 replies 7643 views Edited Mar 31, 2014

When uploading shared videos from PS4 to facebook, the PS4 doesn't play nice with all the other devices connected to the network.  All laptops, desktops, phones and tablets slow down to a crawl.  Im on a 50x5 connection and apparently the PS4 uses up every last bit of those 5Mbits.  Its on a wired connection but even devices on wifi dry up.

I dont have this problem uploading from the xbox one or from laptops and desktops.  They all play nice and share bandwith.  PS4 has to be smarter than this no?  Is sony aware of this and aside from limiting the bandwitdh to the PS4 through my router is there a setting Im missing?

EDBTZ
Message 1 of 23 (7,643 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Re: PS4 is a bandwidth hog

Mar 31, 2014

that's a first, people have been complaining that ps3 is slow and it won't use all the speed of their connections, now that sony charges people and provided a decent network your complaining and want to speed to be lower ? wow just wow. 

maybe i'm mistaking but more speed means stuff will be over sooner, doesn't it?

Message 2 of 23 (7,625 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13549 posts

Mar 31, 2014

UFOGoldorak wrote:

When uploading shared videos from PS4 to facebook, the PS4 doesn't play nice with all the other devices connected to the network.  All laptops, desktops, phones and tablets slow down to a crawl.  Im on a 50x5 connection and apparently the PS4 uses up every last bit of those 5Mbits.  Its on a wired connection but even devices on wifi dry up.

I dont have this problem uploading from the xbox one or from laptops and desktops.  They all play nice and share bandwith.  PS4 has to be smarter than this no?  Is sony aware of this and aside from limiting the bandwitdh to the PS4 through my router is there a setting Im missing?

You sure? Because whenever I upload from my laptop or desktop, it hogs bandwidth just as much as the PS4 does.

Or any of my devices (my tablet and smartphone, while uploading over Wifi, will slow down the connection of every other device on my network)

Uploading is always a huge hog of bandwidth. Least for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 23 (7,621 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Man you guys aren't reading this right... Im not saying I want slower uploads, I'm saying I want shared bandwith.  

Yes I do understand that uploading will slow things down.  With every other device I use to upload it shares the bandwitdh.  So everything is a little slower but no one ever times out.  When uploading with PS4 and I hop onto say my macbook and head over to cnn.com it will just sit there and sit there trying to reach host until it either times out completely or it gets a trickle every 30 seconds and start to load the page very very slowly.  Once the PS4 is done everything goes back to normal.

Again, I love the speeds of the PS4.  Uploads very fast.  Thats fantastic. I just wish it would play nice when other devices request network resources.  Every other device I have ever owned does this just fine.

EDBTZ
Message 4 of 23 (7,608 Views)
Fender Bender
3600 posts

Mar 31, 2014

I just tried to duplicate your issue wiith ps4 uploading a video while on my laptop while both vitas running netflix... no problem here and nothing timed out. Ps4 is wired.

Message 5 of 23 (7,586 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1413 posts

Mar 31, 2014

I haven't noticed any problems on my 40 meg connection, if your internet is slow then any device will hog it, not just a ps4...

Message 6 of 23 (7,568 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10862 posts

Mar 31, 2014

As others have stated, that's not a PS4 issue, it is the way your ISP is set up.  When one device is uploading a solid stream of data (a 600MB video clip, for example), it does pretty much utilize every bit of your upload bandwidth for minutes at a time.  When another device tries to access your connection, the data has to wait for a 'gap' in the uploading device's data stream to send its request.

The things you are uploading from other devices (ie 20-60kb emails and ~6kb instant messages) are sent in less than a second, and aren't large enough to cause a noticable disruption in your connection.

If I upload a video clip from my PS4 to Facebook, my other devices are pretty much useless for internet access while it is uploading.

When my wife is uploading a video clip from her PS3 (via her Elgato Game Capture) using her MacBook, my other devices are pretty much useless for internet access while it is uploading.

It is simply one of those things that until gigabit internet is available, you and I are simply going to have to live with.

Message 7 of 23 (7,562 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Yea I understand the tech.  I do it for a living.  I have a movie server people access remotely and I've never had issues timing out while people are streaming out of my box.  Same box acts as a file server, a mail server, a directory server, a webserver.. no matter the load everything shares the 5Mbit upstream.  Again, the xbox one, when its uploading its shares to skydrive, no problem, although slower all other devices continue to operate normally.  When I'm using ftp or dropbox to upload large multi-gigabyte files or uploading to youtube on my laptop, I can continue to have access to web services without any problems on any other device.  

To me, and apparently only to me, It is a PS4 issue so I'm not sure what else to say.  I can't comment on the PS3 as I have never uploaded much from it.  Maybe everyone is just used to how everything operates in sony's world, I don't know.  I guess I'll go into my router and just set limits on the PS4 line until things smooth out.  Thank you everyone for your input.

EDBTZ
Message 8 of 23 (7,540 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Get better internet or maybe you are being throttled?

Message 9 of 23 (7,470 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4927 posts

Apr 1, 2014

I actually got a laugh out of this because of the complaint. Wish my older consoles used the entire bandwidth of my home service. But if no one has yet to provide an answer its actually real simple. Your router has the capacity of limiting bandwidth for each device attatched. I would recommend throtling down the speed and see how low you can go on ps4 before lag sets in. The same can be done for home pc or tablet. Due to internet pc computing requiring less on those type of devices.

Message 10 of 23 (7,464 Views)
0 Likes