Sep 05 2013
By: Amnalehu Fender Bender 3236 posts

PS4 more powerful than most PC's?

[ Edited ]
46 replies 842 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

I cut my Battlefield FPS shooter teeth on a PC. I was very good on the PC and when I played my first Battlefront game on PS2 it took a lot of getting used to and I was reduced to an average player. The strange thing is I actually enjoyed it more. It took very little dexterity to roll my mouse cross hairs over another players face for a nice clean head shot, but playing with a controller required a lot more skill. PC gamers always talk about how games are so much better and prettier on PC than console but pretty does not always equal more fun. I recent survey revealed that most people who game on PC have less powerful machines than the PS4. Interesting story, check it out:

STEAM SURVEY

Message 1 of 47 (842 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Re: PS4 more powerful than most PC's?

Sep 5, 2013

I wouldn't be shocked because 

1) Most people are happy with running games at medium settings and don't find it worth shelling out the dough for ultra settings.

2) BF, COD don't require super computers.

3) In this economy, not many people can afford expensive gaming computers

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan.
Message 2 of 47 (810 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

Sep 5, 2013
Plus you have a bunch of dumb people who think their weak laptops can run games.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 47 (791 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5616 posts

Sep 5, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:
Plus you have a bunch of dumb people who think their weak laptops can run games.

Depends on the lapto and manufacturer

photo original_zpsuu822nnr.jpg
Message 4 of 47 (787 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

Sep 5, 2013
That's why I said weak laptops. Not just laptops. I'm specifically referring to people who have weak laptops. Like with only Intel hd graphics
Message 5 of 47 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

I recent survey revealed that most people who game on PC have less powerful machines than the PS4. Interesting story, check it out:

STEAM SURVEY

So this interview had me thinking, just how many people want to spend the money or time to upgrade their PC enough to play at the settings they are showing for PC at these shows?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people buying a PS4 don't build or upgrade their own PC's. I personally have built from scratch, liquid cooled and overclocked (was a result of many RRoD for my 360's), but I don't even know one person in real life that has. They all feel it's too hard and just buy prefab PC's or laptops that say you can play games in the features. BTW, it's not that hard to build a PC.

Heck, a lot of PC gamers will be looking to see if they can just meet the minimum settings, cause all the want to do is play the game. Some will even turn off some of the effects to gain advantages when playing multiplayer. Yeah, the game might not look as cool, but now I'm not being blinded by the sun or distracted by all those pretty particle effects. :smileytongue:

Anyway yeah, launch games on PS4 will look better than what the average gamer on PC is seeing. Then developers will squeeze more out of PS4 through it's cycle and it will look at least as nice as what the average PC user is seeing. Only PC users that frequent PC hardware sights will be seeing better graphics and even then they'll probably be complaining about poor optimization.

Message 6 of 47 (778 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Sep 5, 2013

xsongk wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked because 

1) Most people are happy with running games at medium settings and don't find it worth shelling out the dough for ultra settings.

2) BF, COD don't require super computers.

3) In this economy, not many people can afford expensive gaming computers

Let's put this in perspective and go back to the introduction of the PS3 which was really before any economic issues. Using myself as an example, during that time frame i have spent close to $3,000 in building my own computers. Software, hardware and over 50% of the cost going to the graphics cards. So the cost of a gaming console is minor to the cost of constantly maintaining a PC.

Is the PS4 more powerful than my PC. NO.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 7 of 47 (771 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17682 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Almost everyone I know has a powerful, overclocked type gaming rig, or they bought one for gaming. 

PC is where it's at grapihcally, always has been, alwyas will be. 

Message 8 of 47 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3541 posts

Sep 5, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:
That's why I said weak laptops. Not just laptops. I'm specifically referring to people who have weak laptops. Like with only Intel hd graphics

The horror!

Message 9 of 47 (743 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

Sep 5, 2013

userusb wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

The horror!

Yeah.

There's a surprising amount of people that try to game with that (I go on Yahoo Answers all the time and people always ask if their laptop can run specific games. 90% of the time, they can't)

Message 10 of 47 (731 Views)
0 Likes