Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: PS4 outputs?

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

kythunder wrote:

the multiple HDMI outputs isn't going to happen with a console gaming system...brings the price up for an option many pople won't use.

How quickley we forget.

The PS3 when it was announced was stated by Sony to have 2 HDMI ports.

That was like 7 years ago, I'm sure they could do it cheaper now.

How can console gaming ever hope to compete with PC gaming without surround vision?

At least 2 HDMI ports, but multiple screens work best in groups of three.

Everything these days has 3 HDMI ports, even my $150 3D display has 2, you guys have no idea what you are talking about.

Several hundred dollars for an extra HDMI port or two?  Yeah ok.

So the PS3 today with 1 HDMI port cost like $250, you really think over half that cost is the HDMI port?  LOL.  Have another one.

LL

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1352152/ps3-in-2005-announcement-and-now-2011

Except, that was just an ANNOUNCEMENT model... a CONCEPT of what the final hardware would be. 

Sony had already stated that upon the PS3's launch, having two HDMI outputs in a multi-screen configuration wouldn't work because in order to run something at 3840x1080 across two screens runnning at a decent graphical quality turning out at least 30fps would be TOO TAXING on the Cell and RSX processors.

If you knew ANYTHING about running a multi-monitor gaming setup across 2 or 3 screens for PC gaming, and knowing that the PS3's GPU is the equivalent of the "ancient" Geforce 7000 series and Radeon 6000 series of video cards for PCs.... those GPU's STRUGGLE to play a game across even TWO screens at medium settings being anywhere close to HD resolutions. 
I have a 5 year old laptop that runs a Core2 duo@2.26Ghz, Geforce 9800GTm with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Windows 7, 1 HDMI Out, 1 VGA out and 1 DVI-D out, and the laptop can barely play WoW across my 3 monitor desktop setup at medium settings runing 3840x720. Last time I ever played that game, which was nearly 4 years ago, the game could barely turn out 15fps at such resolution.

Lets not forget that the Concept PS3 also had 2 Ethernet outputs and 1 input which made the PS3 its own internet router since you want to highlight things the concept PS3 had that no OS3 had ever launched with.....

The PS3 is just NOT THAT POWERFUL. To continue arguing something that was long settled years ago and to bring it back up as "How quickly we forget" is just REACHING.

And yes, it DOES increase costs for people because those who would want to take advantage of such a feature, would have to buy an extra monitor....

very few PS3 games actually do this, but it IS possible to run 3 PS3's on 3 monitors. Look how costly that is..... 3 monitors, 3 PS3's, 3 copies of a game, a desk large enough or a good mounting system for such to position the screens properly, oh, and lets not forget some length of ethernet cable and a router (if you REALLY wanted to nit-pick on costs) for getting all 3 consoles to sync up with each other. 
Gran Turismo 5 was presumably the FIRST PS3 game that allowed this. Mostly just racing games only support this and those that DO support it are few and far between. There is literally just a handful of games, probably less than 10, that support this.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 19 (1,076 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 25, 2013

What I want on the PS4 is at least 4 USB ports and I don't want to see Sony remove any of them like they did this generation...

Message 12 of 19 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Well I am just looking forward to seeing what it looks like, its kind of like a car, you don't always know whats under the hood but the cooler it looks the more you want to know about it

Message 13 of 19 (1,061 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Bgcntry6 wrote:

Well I am just looking forward to seeing what it looks like, its kind of like a car, you don't always know whats under the hood but the cooler it looks the more you want to know about it

I also can't wait to see how it looks like! Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 19 (1,057 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Apr 25, 2013
the only reason i would like 2 hdmi outlets, is so a friend and i could play splitscreen, and have full screens. it would make things soooooo much better.
Message 15 of 19 (1,056 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Occhi07 wrote:
the only reason i would like 2 hdmi outlets, is so a friend and i could play splitscreen, and have full screens. it would make things soooooo much better.

That would be cool!

Message 16 of 19 (1,053 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Apr 25, 2013
my friend and i are about to have a couch co op sesh, and i guess we're going to have to suck it up. i tried looking up, no way of doing it.
Message 17 of 19 (1,051 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12328 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Dont know why i bother responding but here:

"Just an announcement", oh you mean like absolutely everything we know today about the PS4, some of which you quote as gospel.

"TOO TAXING on the Cell and RSX processors." The PS4 does not have these, those are PS3 parts, talk about not knowing anything, LOL.  The issue was cost increase due to simply including into the PS4(Not PS3) an extra HDMI port or two.  I believe several hundred dollars was meantioned and that is simply laughable.  You think the PS3 lost its extra HDMI ports due to cost or power?  Likely a bit of both but mostly power needed.

Seems you need to take things in context instead of the usual out your anus method you seem to prefer.

You have a 5yr old laptop that can support 3 monitors, and you really think the PS4 will be less powerful then your 5yr old laptop?

Maybe you are right, but I seriously think you are way, way off here.  Par for the course.

Frick yeah, lets get some extra ethernet ports while we are at it, or will that cost several hundred dollars more too?

Just another fine example that Sony likes to flap their lips a lot before releasing a console, and much of it never comes true or they take away a yr or so after launch, etc.

"The PS3 is just NOT THAT POWERFUL" not sure who you talking to on this one, the conversation here is PS4, check the thread title.

Please try to stay on topic here.

"And yes, it DOES increase costs for people"  Ok sure man, what ever you say.  The statement was along the lines of increasing the cost of the PS3 for a feature few would use.  My statement was to say HDMI ports cant add that much cost to a console.  

All things have tons of HDMI ports, if it cost $200 for 2 more HDMI ports then thats $100 each, seeings how many devices in the world today have 2 or more and many of these products are less then $150 total.  So they giving away free HDMI ports to some people and charging $100 a pop to the next guy hey?  I disagree.

I guess it just seems you are very confused or possible just constantly trying to troll and so not even actually reading anything you respond to in the context it was given in.

You keep on keeping on though, you'll get it figured out eventually.

Cheers man, try to put a smile on that frowny face.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 18 of 19 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Maybe in an updated version of the console. They already made it only one HDMI output. Maybe the videocard is upgradable for all we know! I think it would be awesome!

Message 19 of 19 (606 Views)
0 Likes