Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 16 2013
By: Ghostwize I Only Post Everything 961 posts

PS4 to stream PS3 games

[ Edited ]
32 replies 1006 views Edited Feb 16, 2013

Hopefully you can just put a disc in and it can recognize it, making it free to stream. If not that would be pretty harsh!

http://kotaku.com/5984710/report-the-next-playstation-will-stream-ps3-games

Backwards compatibility resolved? Not for people without internet or absurd bandwidth restrictions and what have you. Good for the US though. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (1,006 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24386 posts

Re: PS4 to stream PS3 games

Feb 16, 2013

Ghostwize wrote:

Hopefully you can just put a disc in and it can recognize it, making it free to stream. If not that would be pretty harsh!

http://kotaku.com/5984710/report-the-next-playstation-will-stream-ps3-games

Backwards compatibility resolved? Not for people without internet or absurd bandwidth restrictions and what have you. Good for the US though. :smileyvery-happy:

You'd like to think so. Cable companies like Time Warner and ComCast are going to start charging for usage, and not service. And people like myself who, even though I live near a MAJOR Ivy League university, have **bleep** poor options for internet providers.

So unless we all live in S. Korea or Sweden (two nations with the fastest internet speeds in the world) we're not going to be able to take advantage of this for quite some time.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (993 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
961 posts

Feb 16, 2013

I live on a college campus thanks to my wifes schooling and I get blazing fast free internet. I know Canada gets shafted pretty hard with their internet though. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (990 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3100 posts

Feb 16, 2013
I just got Comcast and dumped Verizon. But on topic, no, that means both systems would have to run at the same time correct? I still don't understand the whole process for streaming PS3 games for the PS4 without rebuying the game.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (975 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
961 posts

Feb 16, 2013

deaofly wrote:
I just got Comcast and dumped Verizon. But on topic, no, that means both systems would have to run at the same time correct? I still don't understand the whole process for streaming PS3 games for the PS4 without rebuying the game.

No. The games would stream from servers owned by Sony. They bought the game streaming service Gakai recently. I would assume you put in your old ps3 disc and the console would recognize the disc in the system and send a message to the sony servers allowing for streaming. If you're required to repurchase a ps3 game you already own....that would be kind of a jerk move imo.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (970 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3100 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Oh I see. Thank :smileyhappy:
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (967 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 16, 2013

if this is so,it will be pretty cool....but if like the Captain said they start charging for usage then i will just have to re-install my Yagi wifi antenna and 4 watt amplifier and play off the neighbors...LOL

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (962 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Did I just read someone switched from Verizon to Comcast? I hope you meant Verizon DSL and not Fios because if you left Fios all I can do is laugh.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (948 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Feb 16, 2013

This is most rediculous. I will be extremely **bleep** and have to start leaning towards the new xbox, even if they don't support backwards compatibility. I've spent thousands on the PSN store and they are going to tell me I have to "stream" the games to my PS4? Yes I bandwidth, but thats not the point. And, they might tell me I have to pay for the streaming service? Yes, I know people out there are like, "just keep your PS3" but I don't want to. I have 3 PS3s and want to replace them with 3 PS4s. I know this is all hearsay, we still have 5 days before some major announcements, but come the f' on Sony, you have to do backwards compatibility or you will lose a lot of people, I am not alone. But, some people say that the specs aren't up to par enough to have software compatibility for the PS3 games, I disagree. They are more than powerful enough with the proper programming. I know its coming from the cell architecture, but still definitely doable. Sony has invested too much in the their PSN store to say that the PS3 games won't work on the PS4 unless you stream them. I've been a loyal fan to Sony since toshinden, don't let us down and the PS4 will be way more than powerful enough to support PS2 emulation as well. You want to get ahead of XBOX? Backwards compatibility is how you do it. Wii U is killing itself.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (934 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10016 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Sir_Bronius wrote:

This is most rediculous. I will be extremely **bleep** and have to start leaning towards the new xbox, even if they don't support backwards compatibility. 

So if it won't play your ps3 games, you'll switch to the Xbox where you cant play your ps3 games......seems legit

BTW, I think Sony put a kill switch on your ps3 so that it stops playing ps3 games when the next console is released

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (922 Views)