Apr 26 2013
By: itsnotozzyitsozz Uncharted Territory 1468 posts

PS4 will be developer friendly?

16 replies 297 views Edited Apr 26, 2013

Well, I watched the announcement on the PS4 a while back, and it dawned on me how much emphasis they put on the system being more developer friendly than the PS3. Which, is understandable, considering on how all the developers of multi platform games, said how the system was so hard to develop for, compared to the PC and 360.

So, my question to you guys. We already know Sony has the best exclusives, and so will the PS4, so, will the PS4, in your opinion, also have a lead in multi platform games, as well?

We all know that the 360 has an edge on us with multi platform games. Whether it be microscopic graphical improvements, less bugs, or better framrate, the 360 has that edge on the PS3. But now, the PS4 will be more developer friendly, meaning that developers of multi platform games, will finally have the chance to go all out on the PS4, without running into many problems, if any.

I think their going to take the edge in both exclusives AND multi platforming in next gen. You guys?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 17 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Re: PS4 will be developer friendly?

Apr 26, 2013
The PS4 is built around the developers. Sony asked what they wanted, they answered and Sony built it. Plus with the system having DDR5, it will most likely to be lead game development if the next Xbox only going to have DDR3. But no one knows what the next Xbox will have in terms of specs until they release them.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 2 of 17 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

deaofly wrote:
The PS4 is built around the developers. Sony asked what they wanted, they answered and Sony built it. Plus with the system having DDR5, it will most likely to be lead game development if the next Xbox only going to have DDR3. But no one knows what the next Xbox will have in terms of specs until they release them.

I take it that would be the case for console multi platform only games right?  It seems like a lot of developers are making the games on PCs first and then they are porting the same games to the consoles without all the PC graphical options that consoles don't need (i.e. Sleeping Dogs, Witcher 3 for example).  I don't know for sure though, and of course I'm speaking about multi platform games that will be on PC as well.

Message 3 of 17 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Mantiskilla wrote:

deaofly wrote:

I take it that would be the case for console multi platform only games right?  It seems like a lot of developers are making the games on PCs first and then b/c architecture now is so similar they are porting nearly the same games to the consoles. (Sleeping Dogs, Witcher 3 for example).  Of course I'm speaking about multi platform games that will be on PC as well.

A lot of the time, the 360 has been the lead console while developing multi-platform games. PS3 pretty much gets a "port."

That is why multi-plat games run so much better on 360, than PS3.

Sometimes, the PC version is done entirely on it's own, and released later. (RE6, Mortal Kombat, etc.)

I'm really hoping this changes with the PS4, if it is more "developer friendly." I would love to see what EA Sports could do with the PS4, if they were to use it at the lead console on future sport titles.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 4 of 17 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Mantiskilla wrote:

deaofly wrote:

I take it that would be the case for console multi platform only games right?  It seems like a lot of developers are making the games on PCs first and then b/c architecture now is so similar they are porting nearly the same games to the consoles. (Sleeping Dogs, Witcher 3 for example).  Of course I'm speaking about multi platform games that will be on PC as well.

A lot of the time, the 360 has been the lead console while developing multi-platform games. PS3 pretty much gets a "port."

Sometimes, the PC version is done entirely on it's own, and released later. (RE6, Mortal Kombat, etc.)

I'm really hoping this changes with the PS4, if it is more "developer friendly." I would love to see what EA Sports could do with the PS4, if they were to use it at the lead console on future sport titles.

Do you see the PC versions of games though being entirely on its own now due to costs and again b/c these consoles are becoming more like PCs that pretty much all multi plats are gonna be identical?  On a side note I actually find it pretty funny how "console only" gamers give PC is a bad rap yet these next systems are all gonna be pretty much PCs now anyway.  I guess it was only a matter of time though before the console market had to start using PC like setups.  I'm sure though its mainly due to those "PC Master Race" or whatever those idiots call themselves is the reason why people don't like PC gamers (sorry don't hurt me as I am one, but yeah I own the consoles/handhelds as well).

Message 5 of 17 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Mantiskilla wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

Mantiskilla wrote:

deaofly wrote:

Do you see the PC versions of games though being entirely on its own now due to costs and again b/c these consoles are becoming more like PCs that pretty much all multi plats are gonna be identical?  On a side note I actually find it pretty funny how "console only" gamers give PC is a bad rap yet these next systems are all gonna be pretty much PCs now anyway.  I guess it was only a matter of time though before the console market had to start using PC like setups.  I'm sure though its mainly due to those "PC Master Race" or whatever those idiots call themselves is the reason why people don't like PC gamers (sorry don't hurt me as I am one, but yeah I own the consoles/handhelds as well).

I think it will all depend on the game/developer. MK was not going to get a PC version, due to cost.

But, with enough demand, it finally is getting one.

But, I still think most developers will do the PC & Console version separately, in order to utilize each to their full potential.

Because PC will always be more powerful than consoles.

(I am more of a console gamer now, but I started on Atari and PC. I have nothing against PC. I admire people with awesome gaming computers. I remember watching my brother play Batman: Arkham Asylum on his, with settings maxed out. :droolSmiley Happy

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 17 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 27, 2013
Horror - EA Sports? I want a decent bethesda port to the PS4. I want a nice, playable, Fallout 4 for the PS4 when it's released. That's all I want Smiley Sad

Mantis - I really hate any fan boys...SPECIALLY PC gamers, who think they are elite, and all powerful, because they spent thousands of dollars on something, to play high end games, when consoles can do that just fine, and cost much less. I have tried PC, and I don't like the feel of it, never did, prob never will.

Horror is right, the PC has better graphics. But, the graphics on the consoles aren't that bad compared to a PC, like everyone likes to point out. Shouldn't matter though, right? Cause graphics don't matter, remember? That's what all the "true" gamers say Smiley Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 17 (246 Views)
VP of Gaming
28836 posts

Apr 27, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Horror - EA Sports? I want a decent bethesda port to the PS4. I want a nice, playable, Fallout 4 for the PS4 when it's released. That's all I want Smiley Sad

Mantis - I really hate any fan boys...SPECIALLY PC gamers, who think they are elite, and all powerful, because they spent thousands of dollars on something, to play high end games, when consoles can do that just fine, and cost much less. I have tried PC, and I don't like the feel of it, never did, prob never will.

Horror is right, the PC has better graphics. But, the graphics on the consoles aren't that bad compared to a PC, like everyone likes to point out. Shouldn't matter though, right? Cause graphics don't matter, remember? That's what all the "true" gamers say Smiley Wink

Sports games are actually a huge driving force in terms of pushing development. There used to be a time when basketball games looked like this;

Atari 2600 hoops.

So we've come very far from those humble beginnigns. The one sport that has benefitted most from advancements in technology is baseball. Baseball games used to be dreadful. Now they are unbelievabley good. What sports games can do is to provide a real world context for different things like game engines, and motion capturing. EA was one of the pioneers in this field, and was one of the first developers to use motion capturing in it's sports titles. And let's not forget, sports games SELL and sell consistently. Without sports games and the money they bring in, the industry wouldn't be able to have a game like Fallout.

Message 8 of 17 (243 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8180 posts

Apr 27, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:

This. Totally this.

I have a powerful PC, but it never gets any games on it because I like consoles better. Just that. My PC is better off handling my work and studies and personal data that I'd like seperate from my gaming.

(And really, with EA's Punkbuster and Blizzard Warden being Spyware and Valve Anti-Cheat scanning your system's memory, I don't want that stuff on my PC.)

Message 9 of 17 (240 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Apr 27, 2013
I forgot about PC games lol But if you want to count PC in then PS4 will still get ported to befor Xbox . Problem with PS3 ported games is that developers try and port games from the 360 to PS3 knowing the development of the PS3 is alot different and require more time . That's why we get half assed games sometimes. The developers see the 360 as being similar to PC which is a easy way to port, But PS3 requires a little more skill and most of the time developers don't put the time in or even know how to fully take advantage of the PS3's resources to give us a decent game. Now I could be wrong put that's how I looked at the whole porting games issue years ago. If you noticed games that are created on PS3 1st are on par or sometimes seem better then the 360 port because they took the time to learn and use the systems resources which in return made it easier to port to the 360. Again just how I always understood these things.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 10 of 17 (236 Views)
0 Likes