Jun 13 2013
By: Punfisher Lombax Warrior 252 posts

PS4 won't play PS3 games?

91 replies 7892 views Edited Jun 13, 2013

Since it's not letting me reply in the posts I decided to start a new thread. 

I for one am disappointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible.  The whole point of buying and owning my games versus just renting them is that I will always have them and enjoy them.  Sony is putting an end to that.  Sure, I could keep my PS3 and still be able to play my games.  For awhile.  But what happens later down the road when my PS3 stops working?  Suddenly I can't play my games anymore.  I can't just go buy a new one.  I could send it in and maybe they could fix it, but I'm sure at some point they will no longer service the PS3 system.  And what about all my add-on content I have paid for and downloaded?  I've PAID for that stuff.  Since the PS3 games cannot be played on the PS4 I am sure all existing support for those games will be gone.  They are not going to support add-ons for games that can't be played anymore.  Several times my PS3 froze up and I had no choice but to reformat my harddrive.  I would lose all my data and have to re-download all my add-ons.  So the millions of dollars consumers have spent on DLC will have been waisted.  I know they are working on this Netflix style game-streaming thing, but that will be a premium service and I will not keep paying money to play games I have already paid for.  I would be double-paying for my games. That's stupid to me.

Also, some of the best games the industry has ever seen have only come out this year alone!!  Some are yet to still come out.  Games like Beyond, Remember Me, The Last of Us.  The list goes on and on.  Beyond isn't even out yet and it looks like the best PS3 game I've ever seen.  It's coming out in October?  Two months after release that game is dead.  I don't get it. 

Why should I even buy games anymore when I'm not guaranteed to always enjoy them.  I'm seriously thinking about just getting Gamefly and forget about buying games anymore.  I just bought Fuse and Resident Evil Revelations.  I would like to buy Remember Me, The Last of Us and Beyond. But what's the point if they don't make that cosole anymore?  The minute my PS3 junks out I am dead in the water.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 92 (7,892 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23843 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

What is so difficult about keeping your PS3? And when it stops working you'll have Gailkai.

"but... but.. but... but.. what happens when it stops working?". Hey, if I can still find equipment to play vinyl records on, somebody will find a way to play your old games.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 92 (7,793 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9997 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

I feel the same way about not being able to play all those audio cassette & VHS tapes I bought on these non-backwards compatible 'disc' & 'mp3' players anymore

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 92 (7,489 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3100 posts

Jun 13, 2013
The PlayStation 3 will be around for at least 4 more years. Its still a great powerful game system. Im keeping my PS3 as it just makes no sense to trade it in or sell it just because the PS4 is coming out. I have pumped thousands of dollars into the investment of my PS3, games and accessories. I will move my PS3 one spot down on my entertainment stand and put my PS4 in its place.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 92 (7,478 Views)
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I used to have an xbox 360 and a PS3.  My wife gripes about my gaming all the time so I compromised and downsized.  I kept the better system and got rid of my xbox.  In my situation, if I were to get the PS4 I will have to get rid of my PS3 just to keep the peace in my house, otherwise getting rid of my xbox was for nothing. 

We got rid of cassette tapes because CD players wouldn't play them.  We got rid of VHS tapes because DVD players wouldn't play them.  We're moving on to bluray and guess what!! Bluray players play DVD's!!  Wow imagine that.  Bluray players can play DVD's, but a PS4 can't play a PS3 game. What I find interesting is that movies and games are both on the same media format....that's right....BLURAY!!  There is no difference with the disc wheather a movie is on it or a game.  It's the same disc!!   The PS4 will play that disc if it's a movie, but it won't play it if a PS3 game is on it.  The PS4 will be compatable with every Sony device on the market, but it won't play a bluray disc if a PS3 game is on it??  Give me a break.

If we were moving on from bluray I would understand and accept that there is no backwards compatability.  But we're not.  We're still using the same disc for the PS4.  The same disc!!

If by some chance I do get a PS4 I seriously doubt I'll buy my games anymore.  I'll just rent them from now on because seven years from now the PS5 won't let me play those either.  I'm seriously thinking about converting over to PC gaming because I know when I buy a PC game I will always be able to play it no matter what new PC comes out.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 92 (6,144 Views)
Splicer
71 posts

Jun 19, 2013
The comparison between DVDs and blue rays with ps3 games and ps4 games is not parallel. DVDs and blue rays hold a lot less coding info than video game discs.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 92 (6,134 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I feel the same way. Sony does have a solution though. They are working on a streaming service and they are going to launch it in 2014. I would prefer native support though.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 92 (6,130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5202 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

We got rid of cassette tapes because CD players wouldn't play them.  We got rid of VHS tapes because DVD players wouldn't play them.  We're moving on to bluray and guess what!! Bluray players play DVD's!!  Wow imagine that.  Bluray players can play DVD's, but a PS4 can't play a PS3 game. What I find interesting is that movies and games are both on the same media format....that's right....BLURAY!!  There is no difference with the disc wheather a movie is on it or a game.  It's the same disc!!   The PS4 will play that disc if it's a movie, but it won't play it if a PS3 game is on it.  The PS4 will be compatable with every Sony device on the market, but it won't play a bluray disc if a PS3 game is on it??  Give me a break.

If we were moving on from bluray I would understand and accept that there is no backwards compatability.  But we're not.  We're still using the same disc for the PS4.  The same disc!!

To the argument of "what if my ps3 breaks", shouldn't you ask the question as well "what if my PS4 breaks, if it were to be backwards compatible?"

Regardless, the PS4 uses a the x86 architecture which is a move away from the PowerPC used in the PS3. It's the same reason why you can't just plop in a PS3 blu-ray disc into a PC with a blu-ray disc drive. They're on separate architectures that are simply incompatible.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 92 (6,123 Views)
Fender Bender
2940 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I wish the PS3 was frontward compatible...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 92 (6,121 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8672 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Why buy a new console if all you wanna do is play your old games on it?
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 92 (6,120 Views)