Fender Bender
3301 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I used to have an xbox 360 and a PS3.  My wife gripes about my gaming all the time so I compromised and downsized.  I kept the better system and got rid of my xbox.  In my situation, if I were to get the PS4 I will have to get rid of my PS3 just to keep the peace in my house, otherwise getting rid of my xbox was for nothing. 

We got rid of cassette tapes because CD players wouldn't play them.  We got rid of VHS tapes because DVD players wouldn't play them.  We're moving on to bluray and guess what!! Bluray players play DVD's!!  Wow imagine that.  Bluray players can play DVD's, but a PS4 can't play a PS3 game. What I find interesting is that movies and games are both on the same media format....that's right....BLURAY!!  There is no difference with the disc wheather a movie is on it or a game.  It's the same disc!!   The PS4 will play that disc if it's a movie, but it won't play it if a PS3 game is on it.  The PS4 will be compatable with every Sony device on the market, but it won't play a bluray disc if a PS3 game is on it??  Give me a break.

If we were moving on from bluray I would understand and accept that there is no backwards compatability.  But we're not.  We're still using the same disc for the PS4.  The same disc!!

If by some chance I do get a PS4 I seriously doubt I'll buy my games anymore.  I'll just rent them from now on because seven years from now the PS5 won't let me play those either.  I'm seriously thinking about converting over to PC gaming because I know when I buy a PC game I will always be able to play it no matter what new PC comes out.

My understanding is Blu-rays are just a storage device and the ps3 and ps4 are using completely different architectures which I assume is the reason for the lack of backwards compatibility.

PCs aren't flawless either, Steam could disappear tomorrow and you wouldn't be able to access your games. I'd hope they unlock the games but it's not a guarentee.

Message 11 of 92 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

I wish the PS3 was frontward compatible...

Maybe with Gaikai it can be. lol

Message 12 of 92 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Oh look another one of these threads.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 13 of 92 (675 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Jung-ook wrote:

To the argument of "what if my ps3 breaks", shouldn't you ask the question as well "what if my PS4 breaks, if it were to be backwards compatible?"

Regardless, the PS4 uses a the x86 architecture which is a move away from the PowerPC used in the PS3. It's the same reason why you can't just plop in a PS3 blu-ray disc into a PC with a blu-ray disc drive. They're on separate architectures that are simply incompatible.

If the PS4 breaks I can send it in and in many cases it will be under warranty and will be repaired free of charge.  In some cases it will be more practical for them to just send me a new one as they did with a PS3 of mine.  If out of warranty I can pay the cost to have it repaired. However, none of this is a possibility with a console that they no longer manufacture or service such as the PS3 soon.

And what's the point in moving on to the x86 architecture if 90% of the PS4 games aren't going to be any better?  Beyond (PS3) and The Last of Us (PS3) are better than almost every PS4 game there will ever be.  Modern Warfare 4 will also be on the PS4 and there won't be any difference.  A few PS4 games will be mindblowing, but most will not be. 

I think the PS3 is releasing the best games the industry has ever seen and Sony is trying to get their new console out before they can't sell it anymore.  Trust me, if the PS3 were allowed to keep up it's current pace, the PS4 would not sell.  Not making the PS4 backwards compatible is more a marketing ploy than Sony's inablility to overcome technological boundaries.  They've said in interviews that it can still be done if need be. 

And I'm not going to pay extra for a premium streaming service just to play games I already paid for.  Gaikai or whatever it's called is a joke.  Just another way to keep consumer paying and paying for products they've already paid for.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 14 of 92 (670 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13618 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jung-ook wrote:

To the argument of "what if my ps3 breaks", shouldn't you ask the question as well "what if my PS4 breaks, if it were to be backwards compatible?"

Regardless, the PS4 uses a the x86 architecture which is a move away from the PowerPC used in the PS3. It's the same reason why you can't just plop in a PS3 blu-ray disc into a PC with a blu-ray disc drive. They're on separate architectures that are simply incompatible.

If the PS4 breaks I can send it in and in many cases it will be under warranty and will be repaired free of charge.  In some cases it will be more practical for them to just send me a new one as they did with a PS3 of mine.  If out of warranty I can pay the cost to have it repaired. However, none of this is a possibility with a console that they no longer manufacture or service such as the PS3 soon.

And what's the point in moving on to the x86 architecture if 90% of the PS4 games aren't going to be any better?  Beyond (PS3) and The Last of Us (PS3) are better than almost every PS4 game there will ever be.  Modern Warfare 4 will also be on the PS4 and there won't be any difference.  A few PS4 games will be mindblowing, but most will not be. 

I think the PS3 is releasing the best games the industry has ever seen and Sony is trying to get their new console out before they can't sell it anymore.  Trust me, if the PS3 were allowed to keep up it's current pace, the PS4 would not sell.  Not making the PS4 backwards compatible is more a marketing ploy than Sony's inablility to overcome technological boundaries.  They've said in interviews that it can still be done if need be. 

And I'm not going to pay extra for a premium streaming service just to play games I already paid for.  Gaikai or whatever it's called is a joke.  Just another way to keep consumer paying and paying for products they've already paid for.

I didn't know you could read the future.

I could've said the same thing about games previously. "Oh, they're never going to make a game better than Uncharted" or "Heavy rain was a masterpiece, nothing can top its storytelling".

Also, it's not MW4, it's Ghosts. No MW in the title.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 92 (666 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5237 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jung-ook wrote:

Of course they could make the make PS4 backwards compatible, but the console would be $700.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 16 of 92 (665 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I guess what sucks it we have spoiled with backwards compatabilities over the years. I wonder what the PS4 Life expectancy is.

Message 17 of 92 (658 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jung-ook wrote:

Sony switched to X86 hardware because it's easier to develop for. The Cell processor was hard to develop for. Many ports on the PS3 looked bad because the Cell Broadband Engine is garbage. Because it's a failure they are switching to X86 because it is a well known architecture and is easier to develop for. 

To have backwards compatibility, Sony would have to include the Cell Broadband Engine and according to Sony, if all they needed was the Cell processor, that would not have been a problem, because they can freely manufacture the Cell processor as much as they want and need, but they would also need  to support  the "supporting hardware" indefinitely and that's not possible. Apparently, Sony "agonized" over not including backwards compatibility. They could have made the PS4 backwards compatible for a short amount of time like they did with PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS3, but I guess they figured it wasn't worth it.

Source:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/04/sony_thought_long_and_hard_over_ps4s_lack_of_backward_compati...

Trust me, I am also disappointed that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible but I understand why it isn't.

Message 18 of 92 (647 Views)
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I understand some frustrations with people wanting backwards compatibility. But, for $400 in todays market you can't beat what you are getting already IMO,especially compared to the competition. 

If playing PS3 only games was a concern, just keep your. If it breaks in the future, I'm sure the PS3 will drop in price once the PS4 gains steam. 

“My power is discombobulatingly devastating. I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm."

- Mike Tyson
Message 19 of 92 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jun 19, 2013

If I could just simply buy PS4 Games, & had the Money to buy a whole New Console, i'd have no problem with PS4 not being Backwards Compatible, however... I was never going to buy PS4 for any Games, I was only buying it for the Movies, & since the PS4 can't Play PS3 Games, we'll there is no longer any reason for me to Buy one, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 20 of 92 (621 Views)
0 Likes