Ghost of Sparta
15326 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

Jun 19, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

If I could just simply buy PS4 Games, & had the Money to buy a whole New Console, i'd have no problem with PS4 not being Backwards Compatible, however... I was never going to buy PS4 for any Games, I was only buying it for the Movies, & since the PS4 can't Play PS3 Games, we'll there is no longer any reason for me to Buy one, ~_~

So, to use a grossly exaggerated analogy, you intended to buy a bleeding edge PC to play Pong?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 21 of 92 (406 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13534 posts

Jun 19, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

If I could just simply buy PS4 Games, & had the Money to buy a whole New Console, i'd have no problem with PS4 not being Backwards Compatible, however... I was never going to buy PS4 for any Games, I was only buying it for the Movies, & since the PS4 can't Play PS3 Games, we'll there is no longer any reason for me to Buy one, ~_~

So, to use a grossly exaggerated analogy, you intended to buy a bleeding edge PC to play Pong?

I still don't get why someone would purchase a PS4 for "the Movies"....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 22 of 92 (404 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5769 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I think im going to sell my PS3 with all games since they will be kinda useless with the PS4. I will stay with my Uncharted collection and demons and dark souls which are my favorites.

Message 23 of 92 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1748 posts

Jun 19, 2013

The idea I had was to sell the PS3, & get the PS4, & keep my PS3 Games for the PS4, while I checked some of those
New UHD Movie Discs... Or whatever their going to be called... To see how good the Quality of Movies will look on the PS4, ~_~

That idea would only work with Backwards Compatibility, though, but since there isn't any, I can no longer do that...
There for I am not buying one...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 24 of 92 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5202 posts

Jun 19, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Punfisher wrote:

Jung-ook wrote:

To the argument of "what if my ps3 breaks", shouldn't you ask the question as well "what if my PS4 breaks, if it were to be backwards compatible?"

Regardless, the PS4 uses a the x86 architecture which is a move away from the PowerPC used in the PS3. It's the same reason why you can't just plop in a PS3 blu-ray disc into a PC with a blu-ray disc drive. They're on separate architectures that are simply incompatible.

If the PS4 breaks I can send it in and in many cases it will be under warranty and will be repaired free of charge.  In some cases it will be more practical for them to just send me a new one as they did with a PS3 of mine.  If out of warranty I can pay the cost to have it repaired. However, none of this is a possibility with a console that they no longer manufacture or service such as the PS3 soon.

And what's the point in moving on to the x86 architecture if 90% of the PS4 games aren't going to be any better?  Beyond (PS3) and The Last of Us (PS3) are better than almost every PS4 game there will ever be.  Modern Warfare 4 will also be on the PS4 and there won't be any difference.  A few PS4 games will be mindblowing, but most will not be. 

I think the PS3 is releasing the best games the industry has ever seen and Sony is trying to get their new console out before they can't sell it anymore.  Trust me, if the PS3 were allowed to keep up it's current pace, the PS4 would not sell.  Not making the PS4 backwards compatible is more a marketing ploy than Sony's inablility to overcome technological boundaries.  They've said in interviews that it can still be done if need be. 

And I'm not going to pay extra for a premium streaming service just to play games I already paid for.  Gaikai or whatever it's called is a joke.  Just another way to keep consumer paying and paying for products they've already paid for.

If that is the case, stay with your PS3 as you have already predicted you won't be enjoying the PS4 titles.

Message 25 of 92 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Jung-ook wrote:

If that is the case, stay with your PS3 as you have already predicted you won't be enjoying the PS4 titles.

Here we go, I must have hit a nerve.  I never said I wouldn't enjoy the PS4 titles.  Why do you people do that!?  Obviously I want a PS4 or I wouldn't be making a big deal about things.  There are some PS4 titles like Destiny and Killzone that look awesome.  Most PS4 games aren't going to be on that level.  I downloaded the Killzone and Destiny PS4 game trailers from PSN and under much scrutiny I don't see any advancements that stand out.  Those games could just have well been developed for the PS3!!  They had to change the architecture for that!?  It's a JOKE!!  Yes they are great games,  but it's a JOKE!!  Any new console should still play the same media format!  The media format is not changing.  It's all a marketing ploy.  PS3 and PS4 games are on the same Blu-ray disc.  There's no difference. 

In 6-7 years I've poured about $5,000 into the PS3 just to see it get killed off over nothing.  I'd be fine if the advancements involved better games or capabilities, but the games aren't better, just different.  And the PS4 can't do anything the PS3 can't do, so the capabilities aren't any better either.  If a new media format came out I would understand the PS4 not being backwards compatible.  I completely understand if they want to faze out PS1 and PS2 titles that are on DVD discs.  But we're talking about fazing out bluray for more bluray.  It makes no sense. 

So now the online community for my PS3 games will be decimated.  Sure I can keep my PS3 games, I just won't be able to play them online anymore.  At some point my bluray drive will go bad and I'm SOL because Sony will only service their new console.  So I can keep my PS3 games, I just won't be able to buy a new PS3 when it kills over.  And I won't be able to get it fixed.  All of this because Sony just doesn't feel like having their new console support all bluray formats.

It's funny really.  Sony made such a big deal about their competitor's not supporting bluray.  Well Sony's new console is only supporting SOME bluray formats.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 26 of 92 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7422 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jung-ook wrote:

Here we go, I must have hit a nerve.  I never said I wouldn't enjoy the PS4 titles.  Why do you people do that!?  Obviously I want a PS4 or I wouldn't be making a big deal about things.  There are some PS4 titles like Destiny and Killzone that look awesome.  Most PS4 games aren't going to be on that level.  I downloaded the Killzone and Destiny PS4 game trailers from PSN and under much scrutiny I don't see any advancements that stand out.  Those games could just have well been developed for the PS3!!  They had to change the architecture for that!?  It's a JOKE!!  Yes they are great games,  but it's a JOKE!!  Any new console should still play the same media format!  The media format is not changing.  It's all a marketing ploy.  PS3 and PS4 games are on the same Blu-ray disc.  There's no difference. 

In 6-7 years I've poured about $5,000 into the PS3 just to see it get killed off over nothing.  I'd be fine if the advancements involved better games or capabilities, but the games aren't better, just different.  And the PS4 can't do anything the PS3 can't do, so the capabilities aren't any better either.  If a new media format came out I would understand the PS4 not being backwards compatible.  I completely understand if they want to faze out PS1 and PS2 titles that are on DVD discs.  But we're talking about fazing out bluray for more bluray.  It makes no sense. 

So now the online community for my PS3 games will be decimated.  Sure I can keep my PS3 games, I just won't be able to play them online anymore.  At some point my bluray drive will go bad and I'm SOL because Sony will only service their new console.  So I can keep my PS3 games, I just won't be able to buy a new PS3 when it kills over.  And I won't be able to get it fixed.  All of this because Sony just doesn't feel like having their new console support all bluray formats.

It's funny really.  Sony made such a big deal about their competitor's not supporting bluray.  Well Sony's new console is only supporting SOME bluray formats.

You made a ridiculous statement and you got a deserved response back. 

Changing the architecture IS going to make 90% of games better.

By the way the PS3 is not as powerful as the PS4. The PS3 is ancient. Technology moves so fast. There was no such thing as the iPhone when the PS3 came out. Think about that.

Get over it, this happens every time a new generation comes out. The old games die to make way for new games and new favorites.

Photobucket
Message 27 of 92 (325 Views)
MVP Support
13534 posts

Jun 19, 2013
By your reasoning, the Xbox one should play ps4 games. They're both bluray and the same x86 architecture.

You obviously don't understand why game consoles get upgraded.

Sure, some ps4 games could very well be on ps3. But then they'd have to scale back a lot of stuff (graphics, slower loads, less content, lower frame rate, etc). The point is to give developers more to work with. Switching architectures also allows devs to fully utilize the hardware (with ps3, most games weren't at full potential because they were designed for Xbox and then ported over. Only exclusives had maximum potential)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 92 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Jun 19, 2013

The PS4 is so far beyond what the PS3 is. The PS3 ony has 512MB of ram compared to 8GB for the PS4. Thats 16X more memory then the PS3 plus we are talking about GDDR5 Ram. EVERYTHING about the PS4 is better and faster then the PS3. Those of you who think the console has not changed much going from the PS3 to the PS4 are just ignorant of the specs of both systems.

Message 29 of 92 (314 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10763 posts

Jun 19, 2013
The vast majority of PS3 games run 720p at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps.

The PS4 will run virtually ALL games 1080p at 60fps. THAT is the big difference. And no, watching a game video or a trailer will not clearly show any difference, because HD video runs at the BD movie standard of 24.97fps.
Message 30 of 92 (295 Views)
0 Likes