Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
4604 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

[ Edited ]
Jul 18, 2013

ZMony5 wrote:

What’s wrong with it being backwards compatible, at least to the PS3? 

What's wrong with you keeping your PS3? I'd like to hear why you can't keep it because so far, no ones answer has convinced me it has to leave my house. 

What's up with single post users popping on to cry about such a little thing without looking up Gaikai?

Single post users make me think an already current crying PlayStation member (minorities) makes a new profile to make it seem many are wanting this.

Sorry to burst your bubble, we can cry about this all day everyday, Sony isn't going to do an about-face on this one. Gaikai was bought for 380 MILLION DOLLARS for cloud services and streaming old games (PS3, PS2, PS1) for the 5% who can't move on like the rest of us. I sometimes wish Sony just didn't bother even doing that like Microsoft (while Sony will have  backwards compatibility via streaming, Microsoft kills backwards compatibility entirely). Gaikai could be used for so much better uses IMO.

Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 92 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 92 (280 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

da1writer wrote:

What's wrong with you keeping your PS3? I'd like to hear why you can't keep it because so far, no ones answer has convinced me it has to leave my house. 

Maybe you should discuss that with my wife.  Hehehe.  In order to keep peace with her I had to downsize and get rid of my 360 a few years ago.  She's not really into video games to say the least.  I'm sure some married guys out there can relate.  I live in a one console house.  In marraige you have to compromise.  If I buy a PS4 I will be getting rid of my PS3 and since I won't be able to play the 40 games on my shelf, I would miss them greatly.  I've gone over this many times in this thread.  For the first time in 30 years of gaming I have to choose between my marraige and my hobby.  I never cared about ditching my PS1 and PS2 games, they weren't anything like the PS3.  The gap is so huge between PS3 and anything before, I think we should preserve anything PS3 and on. 

Aside from that, the PS5 will be out in 7 years or so, then the PS6, PS7, PS8 and so on.  Having a PS1 through PS10 all stacked on top of each other just to keep playing your games is not normal.  You may be fine with that.  I'm not.  I'm in no hurry to get a divorce, but thanks for wishing that on me.

I haven't forgotten when Sony practically gave away all our private data and banking information to hackers.  They gave the community some free games (none of which I liked) and hoped that would help smooth things over.  What good are a couple of free games if they're gonna block me from playing the 40 games I bought? 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 92 (252 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 28, 2013
of course they wont let u play same games they have to make some more money off us tp pay staff and all that **bleep** but p4 has all previous games on ps in pss so be greatful -Realisticmoney
Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 92 (234 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4604 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

da1writer wrote:

Maybe you should discuss that with my wife.  Hehehe.  In order to keep peace with her I had to downsize and get rid of my 360 a few years ago.  She's not really into video games to say the least.  I'm sure some married guys out there can relate.  I live in a one console house.  In marraige you have to compromise.  If I buy a PS4 I will be getting rid of my PS3 and since I won't be able to play the 40 games on my shelf, I would miss them greatly.  I've gone over this many times in this thread.  For the first time in 30 years of gaming I have to choose between my marraige and my hobby.  I never cared about ditching my PS1 and PS2 games, they weren't anything like the PS3.  The gap is so huge between PS3 and anything before, I think we should preserve anything PS3 and on. 

Aside from that, the PS5 will be out in 7 years or so, then the PS6, PS7, PS8 and so on.  Having a PS1 through PS10 all stacked on top of each other just to keep playing your games is not normal.  You may be fine with that.  I'm not.  I'm in no hurry to get a divorce, but thanks for wishing that on me.

I haven't forgotten when Sony practically gave away all our private data and banking information to hackers.  They gave the community some free games (none of which I liked) and hoped that would help smooth things over.  What good are a couple of free games if they're gonna block me from playing the 40 games I bought? 

I'm married too you know. I have stacks of consoles in my closet. If I ever want to play with each one, I just dust it off, plug it in, and play. I have a wii U, and it can't play my nes games, SNES games, N64 Games, nor my Gamecube games but I did keep every single console if I ever did want to play them. I do understand where you are coming from, the convenience and entitlement must come hand in hand as Sony has been giving you the crossover every console that has been released. You have to take into account though that Sony did a survey and only 5% were even remotely interested in Backwards Compatibility. Sony took out the chips to do it and even when emulation was available for a short period, it wasn't the greatest actually. Once it was gone, sales skyrocketed due to a possible price drop. Sales spoke volumes to Sony, so did the sales of HD Collections, people were willing to buy Trophy enabled, HD upgraded games. So with this in mind, I hope you know that despite your efforts we aren't saying you shouldn't have BC. If it's not possible by the people behind the creation of the console, if Mar Cerney says it was n't possible because of the different architecture, we just have to accept this fact. But at least Sony isn't sweeping the issue under the rug of your BC concern unlike Microsoft. You have to consider that Microsoft has stated about this:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350662/new-xbox-has-no-backwards-compatibilty

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/don-mattrick-if-youre-backwards-compatible-youre-really-bac/

So the Xbox One will not have any sort of way of playing their titles from the past via hardware, software, or streaming, Microsoft sees no point in chasing after a small amount of people, which is sad. Why? Well Sony doesn't feel this way. While the PS3 hardware isn't part of the PS4 (which would have brought the consoles price up to $100 - $150 more than it is now, hardware failures would have happened as well like the Fatty BC PS3's), Software emulation through R & D efforts would have cost them mor than the amount of potential buyers of the ps4 console. Sony saw a way to win all around everyone by buying Gaikai, a streaming service that would eventually be able to bring past PS3 titles to the PS4 but also PS2 and PS1 games as well. Sony has already stated that they are persuing a release of these service in 2014 and while the numbers aren't available of what is going to be supported day on, we at least know that right now The Last of Us, Journey, and Uncharted 3 are confirmed to be fully playable to the end.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/12/gaikai-on-ps4-will-support-the-best-ps3-games/

While that article above states they are chasing over the best titles first, a pdf by Sony officials have shown they will be trying to support over 3000 titles.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/news/20130221E.pdf

Sony is also trying to get Gaikai so future proof that if the console space were to ever go away, you can still play your Playstation games anywhere via your PC, Tablet, Phone, and smart TV as long as you have a certified Playstation controller:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4010420/sonys-playstation-4-will-use-gaikai-game-streaming-technol...

Vita will also have Gaikai compatibiliy by being able to play PS4 games away from the Console via the Vita, classics will be streamablle as well...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/ps4-vita-remote-play-gaikai/

While you may not like this response, it's loads better than what 360 owners got. Do we honestly know how much the servce will be? No. Will it be subscription based? Don't know. Will I have to buy each game again? Don't know. Will there be some rental service for it? Don't know. Will it be rolled for Playstation Plus as a feature? Don't know. It's way to early to tell what's going to happen but rest assured, we as the community aren't against BC by any stretch. I just need to reiterate that to you. If someone says it can't be done but there is another option they are looking at, we just have to accept it for what it is and not fight tooth and nail over something we just don't have control over .

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 92 (228 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 25, 2013
I would want to play all the new and old games all on ONE. not 2 its easier and also just just nice to the customer. And just like someone else said pc games work on all computers, I can play doom on windows 7 so why can't I play the first uncharted on ps4
Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 92 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8388 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2013

jackjack2259 wrote:
I would want to play all the new and old games all on ONE. not 2 its easier and also just just nice to the customer. And just like someone else said pc games work on all computers, I can play doom on windows 7 so why can't I play the first uncharted on ps4

Because Doom on the pc uses standard PC hardware that well was made in the early 90s. Uncharted well uses the PS3 Core chip which isnt in the new PS4. By doing this it keeps the cost of the system down unless you want to spend  200 more on your PS4?  Sony had a poll out. Most didnt want backwards compatibility. So they didnt offer it. Seeing what there customers wants and also  helping keeep the prices down. Backwards Compatibility is mere convience. Nothing more. Nintendo has none, Cant play cartridge of NES or SNES,  MS Has absolutely none as well. Sony did this as a convience and now few demand it. By offering backwards compatibility. Its a great option but do to hardware costs will increase the price of the new systems. And seeing the poll most didnt want it. Sony only follewed what the customer asked for.

Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 92 (144 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
883 posts

Sep 25, 2013

Black0Panther wrote:

jackjack2259 wrote:

Because Doom on the pc uses standard PC hardware that well was made in the early 90s. Uncharted well uses the PS3 Core chip which isnt in the new PS4. By doing this it keeps the cost of the system down unless you want to spend  200 more on your PS4?  Sony had a poll out. Most didnt want backwards compatibility. So they didnt offer it. Seeing what there customers wants and also  helping keeep the prices down. Backwards Compatibility is mere convience. Nothing more. Nintendo has none, Cant play cartridge of NES or SNES,  MS Has absolutely none as well. Sony did this as a convience and now few demand it. By offering backwards compatibility. Its a great option but do to hardware costs will increase the price of the new systems. And seeing the poll most didnt want it. Sony only follewed what the customer asked for.

^^^^This

The PS3 was launched with Full B/C but with a $600 price tag and was met with distain at the high price tag. They took out the B/C lowered the cost and have climbed out of the hole to #2 in console sales this gen. Obviously B/C isn't a priority as many claim that it is.

Heck, I haven't played any of my PS2 games in years, probably early 2008 was the last time. Since then I've had more PS3 games than I could play. I have games on my shelf that I have not beaten/played yet. I also have downloaded games from PS+ that I haven't played. Why do I need to put in a PS2 game that I've already beaten? I also still have my PS2 hooked up in my daughters room as a DVD player so If I really feel the urge I'll just go in there.

B/C just isn't needed. Keep your PS3, be glad your PS4 is cheaper which means it will sell well. If it sells well then it will have great software support, which mean you will have many more games to choose from. This is a good thing.

Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 92 (136 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12013 posts

Sep 25, 2013

jackjack2259 wrote:

Yeah, but PC games aren't optimized to run on certain hardware.

And all the operating systems are backwards compatible (mostly)

But when you design a game with a certain archtecture involved (for PS3, the Cell Processor), it's hard to mimic that on other specifications.

Besides, "being nice" isn't their job, their job is to make money.

If you're too lazy to pull out a PS3 to play your old games, that's just sad.

You might as well complain that the PS4 should have a disc changer so you don't have to get up to change discs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 92 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2013

I look at it this way. I'm keeping my PS3 for a very good reason. There is a multitude of games I still haven't gotten around to playing. Besides the value of integrity and passion developers have put into these games, that won't shouldn't just be put to the way side because of a better console, the trophies themselves are a great benefactor as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 90 of 92 (129 Views)
0 Likes