First Son
25 posts

Re: PlayStation 4: Full Digital?

Jul 26, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

In the meantime, there is a solution to your problem. It's quite "low tech", however it's a proven method that's been used for centuries, when people wanted to restrict access to a room. 

Nawh, they were supposed to be watching a movie / playing air-hockey; not wrestling off my leather furniture. I'm a god at most of what I do, sadly, I can not predict the future. 

"There's a time for strategy, and there's a time for kicking the door down." [D. Valentine]
Message 11 of 27 (218 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28840 posts

Jul 26, 2013

What they were "supposed to" do, and what they actually did are two completely different things.

Message 12 of 27 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jul 26, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Aren't you going to ask for them to pay for the damages?

And what kind of person/child wrecks your stuff as you described? Taking out a 65" TV? Thats at least $1800 right there....

Make an itemized list of all the broken items, with the amount it would cost to replace them and make a copy and send it to them.

If they refuse to pay for the damages, take them to small claims court. Family or not, they wrecked your stuff and they have to make good.

If you have renters/homeowners insurance, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if they can help.... but i doubt it. Couldn't hurt though

In all honesty? I'm a private security contractor... so, the financial aspect of the damages do not fully bother me and can easily be replaced. The idea that's tortmenting me the most is that it occurred, and I had no foresight in being able to control the situation. 

They were scolded, however. And, as a previous poster had mentioned... when events such as this crop up, I turn green. Haha! 

"There's a time for strategy, and there's a time for kicking the door down." [D. Valentine]
Message 13 of 27 (212 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jul 26, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

What they were "supposed to" do, and what they actually did are two completely different things.

Indeed, they are. 

Message 14 of 27 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Jul 26, 2013

The last two games i am buying for my PS3.. Is Splinter Cell Blacklist and GTA V.. I am done with the PS3.. PS4 all the way i am subscribing to GameFly.. Or doing a PS4 digital trials for games which has been confirmed if it's good i am getting physical copies...

I recommend this solution though.. For AAA games like battlefield, Metal Gear Series, EA Sports, 2K games.. get those games hard copy.. and just buy indies digital.. Free to play is free to play.. <--- That's what i did for my PS3.. Exclusives like Unchartered series, God of War, Metal Gear.. i bought the discs.. All the other multiplatform games i bought either used or digital.. While on sale.. 

Message 15 of 27 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Eryslai wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Aren't you going to ask for them to pay for the damages?

And what kind of person/child wrecks your stuff as you described? Taking out a 65" TV? Thats at least $1800 right there....

Make an itemized list of all the broken items, with the amount it would cost to replace them and make a copy and send it to them.

If they refuse to pay for the damages, take them to small claims court. Family or not, they wrecked your stuff and they have to make good.

If you have renters/homeowners insurance, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if they can help.... but i doubt it. Couldn't hurt though

In all honesty? I'm a private security contractor... so, the financial aspect of the damages do not fully bother me and can easily be replaced. The idea that's tortmenting me the most is that it occurred, and I had no foresight in being able to control the situation. 

They were scolded, however. And, as a previous poster had mentioned... when events such as this crop up, I turn green. Haha! 

Whether or not you can afford to re-buy them, thats beside the point. Its the principle.

I can afford to lose EVERYTHING I own... and still get back on my feet rather quickly.

But I'm still coming after the people who wrecked my stuff if it ever happened

Furiously Chaosing
Message 16 of 27 (184 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jul 26, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Whether or not you can afford to re-buy them, thats beside the point. Its the principle.

I can afford to lose EVERYTHING I own... and still get back on my feet rather quickly.

But I'm still coming after the people who wrecked my stuff if it ever happened

Oh, I do not disagree. I have to be a hard-**bleep**, in-your-face type of individual 24/7 while on duty. I suppose letting it slide is, in a way, attempting to keep my karma in check. Their father's face was completely pale. Haha!

On another note, anyone have knowledge concerning my questions of all-digital? Whether it be speculative or from reliable sources, I'd love to hear a few things.

Message 17 of 27 (176 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jul 26, 2013

glasscut wrote:

The last two games i am buying for my PS3.. Is Splinter Cell Blacklist and GTA V.. I am done with the PS3.. PS4 all the way i am subscribing to GameFly.. Or doing a PS4 digital trials for games which has been confirmed if it's good i am getting physical copies...

I recommend this solution though.. For AAA games like battlefield, Metal Gear Series, EA Sports, 2K games.. get those games hard copy.. and just buy indies digital.. Free to play is free to play.. <--- That's what i did for my PS3.. Exclusives like Unchartered series, God of War, Metal Gear.. i bought the discs.. All the other multiplatform games i bought either used or digital.. While on sale.. 

Thank you for your input, Glasscut. I've always been one to purchase physical media prior to this, however, I'm most definitely sure I'm going "full digital" for PlayStation 4 and above. It's not as if I've ever used places such as GameStop or the Used-Game-Market in general anyhow. 

On a lighter note, I've decided I'm building a wine cellar in the utterly trashed corner. Construction shall begin this Sunday. Why dwell on loss, when you are capable of crafting something anew?

I'm aiming for a piece along these lines... 

WCP1.jpg

Message 18 of 27 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 26, 2013
If i were you, id break up with that chick and lay a fat lawsuit on her family. I did it before with someone and won. They were forced to pay full price on all destroyed or damaged items.
Message 19 of 27 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 26, 2013
To get back to trying to answer your questions, I believe that the maximum hard drive size available in the form factor for the PS3 is a 2 or 3 TB drive. I'm not sure of the exact specs. The issues which you might have with download only gaming is the following:

1: Time to download the games. - Games these days are quite large in size. Often times in excess of 20 GB. No matter how fast your ISP claims your speed is, you'll likely never actually achieve that maximum speed due to a large number of issues. In addition, nobody knows how much bandwidth the servers hosting the games will have, so there might be bottlenecks with Sony's servers with regards to download rate. Regardless, downloading the games will take quite a bit of time.

2: Bandwidth Caps - Whether or not you have a fast internet connection will be meaningless if your ISP caps your bandwidth, or charges you if you exceed a certain bandwidth limit. With games taking up 20 GB or more, if you were to purchased and download say 5 games during one billing cycle, you could eat up 100 GB or more of your allotted bandwidth. That's if they all downloaded successfully. If one of the donwloads corrupted after 90% of it was complete, then you'd need to re-download the file again and that will eat up more of your bandwidth. If you are going to go all digital, be absolutely certain that you do not have a bandwidth cap, and if you do, be certain that you have a way to monitor your usage so that the overage fees or complete throttling of your internet connection for the month doesn't happen.

3: Hard Drive Failure. - There is no such thing as a hard drive that won't fail. Hence why servers typically have racks of hard drives in them so that when a failure occurs, there is a backup already in place. Having a digital library is nice for convenience, until your hard drive malfunctions and you lose everything. You would then need to re-download every single thing on a new hard drive if you want to get your game collection back. Looking back on point number 2 here, you might not even be able to get your games back right away due to a bandwidth cap. If there is no bandwidth cap, then you'll still have a long wait to get all of the games to redownload. Just something to keep in mind.

4: Removal of games from Sony's servers. - Although it's not very common, this is a risk that is relevant only to digitally downloaded games. With the game industry in such a high state of turnover, companies get bought-out, dissolved, merged, etc. at a high rate. Each time a company ceases to exist, the licenses involved with the games they hold the rights to gets very murky. There's a chance that due to how contracts were signed at the now defunct companies that the rights to a game's distribution could be lost from Sony. This is easy to control on Sony's end for their own 1st party publishers, but for other publishers out there Sony really can't control them. If you had deleted a game you purchased to save space, but later on decided to go and redownload that game, you might find that it is no longer available for download. This is a risk that doesn't exist with physical games since the publishers can't knock down your door and demand that you give the game back.. Smiley Tongue

5: Termination of Sony's Servers. - We don't know just how long Sony will support the network that distributes the games digitally. Perhaps at some point in the following generation of game consoles, or the one after that, they'll decide that maintaining the PS4 servers is not financially feasible for them and they'll shut them down. When that happens, you will no longer be able to puchase any more games digitally for your PS4, and if your hard drive fails you will not be able to redownload those games. Basically, when Sony decides to stop supporting the servers, all of those games will be lost forever. That shouldn't be a worry for the immediate future, but long term it is a legitimate concern.

Those are just some of the potential drawbacks to going to a digital download only gaming method. There are positives to going this method as well, but I personally feel that the negatives outweigh the positives by a pretty big margin. Ultimately, whether the same applies to you is for you to decide.
Message 20 of 27 (124 Views)