Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15957 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 23, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

 

Anyway, I've wasted enough time on BC topics. I'm probably not posting in them anymore.


You and me both.... 

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up


Message 31 of 53 (186 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
9028 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 23, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

This is such BS.

 

Did the PSP run on PS3 hardware?  Does the Vita?  They both play PSN games fine.

 

Are the PS2 games on PSN recoded to run on PS3 hardware?  No they are software emulated.

 

PS1 games were not designed to be run on the PS2/PS3, but easily were on PS2 and PS3.

 


The PSP and PSVita run PSP and PSVita PSN games just fine.  The PSVita runs a lot of PSP games through software emulation (and the processor in the Vita uses similar architecture to what is in the PSP).

 

PS2 games that don't use EE-specific features are software emulated on the PS3.  Which is why there are so few PS2 Classics available through the PSN Store.  Yes, there are software emulators available for PC to play PS2 games, but many PS2 games don't work well with them.

 

PS1 games are easily software emulated, due to their small size (original delivery media was 700MB CD) and the fact that the PS1 hardware was, technically speaking, rather primitive.  I imagine PS1 B/C would work perfectly well on the PS4, and may or may not be added to the PS4's feature set.

Message 32 of 53 (182 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/30/2011
Offline
1909 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 23, 2013
they said it wont be compatible. however, they said they are working on emulation for the ps4. so dont start spazzing yet. also, if you have over "1000 songs on guitar hero, and all the Buzz packs" why not keep your ps3?
Message 33 of 53 (177 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

I wonder if Sony will announce more details about Gaikai this E3?

Message 34 of 53 (175 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/14/2012
Offline
23 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. Why do people insist that I believe my PS3 will explode? The concern I have is with my previous PS3. The laser went out on my PS3 slim. I ended up getting a Super Slim to replace it. That's 2 PS3 purchases in four years. The concern I have is that in another 4 years (just when warranty is out) my Super Slim will crap out. I still play my PS2. I'm on my 5th PS2. I've had so many laser issues with that one as well. It's almost like Sony makes these systems so cheap that they self detonate after a while. 

 

YES, I KNOW SONY IS A COMPANY. I KNOW SONY MAKES A PROFIT. 

 

 

 

The other issue I have is that I paid money for digital content. With Steam and other download platforms, I'll have access to that content until the company goes bankrupt or out of business. Essentially, I'll have access until I either die or the apocalypse comes. 

 

Nintendo does it right with the DSi. You can transfer your downloads to your 3DS from your DSi. They will then be downloadable on your 3DS as long as you have the  system. The Wii U operates similarly. You can redownload content from your Wii on your Wii U. 

 

It goes back to a previous point that I made. Having the physical media means I will always have access to those titles. The Genesis, SEGA CD, SNES, and NES games I have do not go away just because the next generation is here. 

 

 

Yes, I understand how architecture works. I know that the PS3 uses a unique and cumbersome hardware set to program for. Still, if the 360 could emulate the original Xbox and have over 80% compatibility, why can't the PS4 shoot for something similar? Especially with downloads. 


Get your Portable ID!
PS Reviews, Cheats, and More....
http://www.youtube.com/user/moralgamer



If you have to resort to demagaugery or personal attacks, you have already lost the argument.
Message 35 of 53 (169 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
9028 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

Yes, I understand how architecture works. I know that the PS3 uses a unique and cumbersome hardware set to program for. Still, if the 360 could emulate the original Xbox and have over 80% compatibility, why can't the PS4 shoot for something similar? Especially with downloads. 


The 360 is compatible with a few xbox games (they didn't even approach 80% when they supported xbox games via some sort of XBL-based emulation) because both systems share some of the same architecture.

 

The WiiU is backward compatible with Wii and probably GameCube games because it is still essentially the same hardware that the GameCube used.

 

Trying to run Cell-based software on an x86 processor will simply not work.  It would be akin to trying to effectively install a Hemi-V8 in a smart car.  It just won't work.

 

If you have purchased so much content for your PS3, then it would be advisable to keep your PS3 (even if the PS4 had B/C, there's no guarantee that your songs and such would transfer to it).  Even if your PS3 dies a couple of years from now, you'll likely be able to replace it for about $100-150.  The price of the PS3 WILL drop by about $50-100 a year after the launch of the PS4.  Sony will continue to support the PS3 with software releases for at least a couple more years, and support the system itself for at least another 5 to 6 years.

Message 36 of 53 (164 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. Why do people insist that I believe my PS3 will explode? The concern I have is with my previous PS3. The laser went out on my PS3 slim. I ended up getting a Super Slim to replace it. That's 2 PS3 purchases in four years. The concern I have is that in another 4 years (just when warranty is out) my Super Slim will crap out. I still play my PS2. I'm on my 5th PS2. I've had so many laser issues with that one as well. It's almost like Sony makes these systems so cheap that they self detonate after a while. 

 

YES, I KNOW SONY IS A COMPANY. I KNOW SONY MAKES A PROFIT. 

 

 

 

 


That indeed is my biggest concern with having my PS3 games only compatible on the PS3. I had to buy a second PS3 last year. That's already $750 that I lost all because Sony could not make sure these things last.

Message 37 of 53 (161 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 06/21/2011
Offline
577 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. Why do people insist that I believe my PS3 will explode? 


Some people result to insults and mockery if you don't stand on their side of the fence.  Pay 'em no mind, you'll be dealing with them your entire life, unfortunately.

Message 38 of 53 (139 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15957 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

DanSD wrote:

xenoranger1979 wrote:

I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. Why do people insist that I believe my PS3 will explode? 


Some people result to insults and mockery if you don't stand on their side of the fence.  Pay 'em no mind, you'll be dealing with them your entire life, unfortunately.


Umm No.

 

In this instance, its because theres too many threads about the same **bleep** thing..... of all the times and pages and pages of the same comments, you would think people who start to "get it".

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up


Message 39 of 53 (130 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 06/21/2011
Offline
577 posts
 

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 24, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

DanSD wrote:

xenoranger1979 wrote:

I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. Why do people insist that I believe my PS3 will explode? 


Some people result to insults and mockery if you don't stand on their side of the fence.  Pay 'em no mind, you'll be dealing with them your entire life, unfortunately.


Umm No.

 

In this instance, its because theres too many threads about the same **bleep** thing..... of all the times and pages and pages of the same comments, you would think people who start to "get it".


If you've repeated your argument, and you feel you are right, and they continue to disagree, you're better off not responding at all, than mocking and insulting them.

Message 40 of 53 (121 Views)