Apr 23 2013
By: xenoranger1979 First Son 23 posts

Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

[ Edited ]
52 replies 525 views Edited Apr 23, 2013

Between the local game shops and articles I've read online, I've been hearing that Sony will make all Playstation 3 downloads non-transferrable to the Playstation 4. If this happens, the crap ton of games and content I've purchased is pretty much gone-gone. I know my Rock Band and Guitar Hero have about 1,000 songs. I also have Buzz with almost all the quiz packs. 

I understand the Playstation 4 will not be backwards compatible for Disc-Based PS3 titles. I absolutely hate this notion, but I understand that Sony is going to do what lines their pockets best. I just don't understand why downloads purchased on PS3 would not be valid for PS4. I know I've spent over $1,500 in content from the network on my PS3 over the 4 years I've owned it. Like Steam and other digital game outlets, I want my previous purchases to still function on newer systems. 

So, if the rumors are true, then we're all screwed for downloading. We either have to repurchase anything we want to keep playing, or we lose those titles. 

Get your Portable ID!
PS Reviews, Cheats, and More....
http://www.youtube.com/user/moralgamer

If you have to resort to demagaugery or personal attacks, you have already lost the argument.
Message 1 of 53 (525 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
90 posts

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

Apr 23, 2013

Though nothing is confirmed, I wouldn't be surprised if SCEI implemented our existing downloads list into the Gaikai streaming services, and we could re-liscense our games for streaming for a small fee.

That being said, when the PS4 comes out, all of the old PS3s will still be working. I know I'll be holding on to mine for a long time, as I have over 300 downlodable games on my 1 TB HDD.

Find me on: Twitter and Facebook
Message 2 of 53 (521 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16004 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

Between the local game shops and articles I've read online, I've been hearing that Sony will make all Playstation 3 downloads non-transferrable to the Playstation 4. If this happens, the crap ton of games and content I've purchased is pretty much gone-gone. I know my Rock Band and Guitar Hero have about 1,000 songs. I also have Buzz with almost all the quiz packs. 

I understand the Playstation 4 will not be backwards compatible for Disc-Based PS3 titles. I absolutely hate this notion, but I understand that Sony is going to do what lines their pockets best. I just don't understand why downloads purchased on PS3 would not be valid for PS4. I know I've spent over $1,500 in content from the network on my PS3 over the 4 years I've owned it. Like Steam and other digital game outlets, I want my previous purchases to still function on newer systems. 

So, if the rumors are true, then we're all screwed for downloading. We either have to repurchase anything we want to keep playing, or we lose those titles. 

Because PS3 games are ALL developed on a specific hardware architecture... the PS4 is going to use the more common PC architecture to make better use of hardware and make much easier to make games for, faster.  This means that PS3 games WILL NOT be able to run on PS4 hardware.

Making games be re-made for the PS4 would be a costly and logistical nightmare just to make people be able to play the games they bought on the PSN for the PS3.... 

Sony also briefly mentioned Gaikai and what it could mean for backwards compatibility, but thats neither here nor there and theres zero information about how its going to be implemented.

Remember, Sony is a BUSINESS FIRST, they have to do what is right for themselves and their bottom line to stay aloat and keep the lights on and shelves stocked.....

Heres a thought.... Keep your PS3 and you won't have to worry about it.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 3 of 53 (515 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1388 posts

Apr 23, 2013
ill be keeping my ps3 so i have no worry but for all you who plan to sell your ps3 to fund your ps4 i feel sorry for you
Message 4 of 53 (510 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Apr 23, 2013

I will be keeping both of my PS3's. Just keep in mind that hardware breaks over time. My first PS3 had the laser issue, and my second was the AC3 Bundle with 500GB (Super Slim). I'm hoping the flimsy slider doesn't break on that as well as the laser. 

We currently have emulators for PS1, PS2, and PSP. I'm not condoning illegal downloading of games, but I am saying that it's nice to be able to play older titles on my PC as an alternative to having to dig out the system. I have a few SEGA CD titles that I'm playing on KEGA. Works wonderfully! Insert disc, and nostalgia is back.

My point in bringing this up is that once Sony has a solid emulation solution for PS3 hardware on the PS4, they can just use the downloads as additional content for the current system. Look how well that's worked for Vita owners (like me) with PSP and PS1 titles. The Vita library (at launch) was huge because of this. 

Plus, with emulation, developers don't have to abandon current gen projects in migration to the next system. 

There is still a lot of money to be made by not only keeping the PS3 content available, but also emulating it for PS4. 

Get your Portable ID!

If you have to resort to demagaugery or personal attacks, you have already lost the argument.
Message 5 of 53 (500 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Apr 23, 2013

You paid for the software for use with the PS3...your complaining it may not work with the PS4...if you bought a casette tape in the 80s are  you also complaining your collection will not work inside a CD player?

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 6 of 53 (492 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Apr 23, 2013

If I bought software through Steam, I could still use it several OS's later. 

Content I purchased for XBox will work on the 360.

Why won't content from PS3 work on the PS4?

Get your Portable ID!

Message 7 of 53 (482 Views)
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Oh and don't forget these ridiculous activation limits. If Vita and PSP are any sign of things to come, you will still only be allowed to activate two consoles. That means if you have two PS3s, one will have to be deactivated and rendered useless to activate PS4.

Once the only PS3 you can have activated breaks down, you have nothing left.

Console gaming with mandatory handcuffs. No thanks.

Message 8 of 53 (477 Views)
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

There is nothing wrong with looking forward when developing a new system. If you enjoy your ps3 games so much why can't you just keep it.  From what i've been hearing the hardware architecture of the ps4 is very different from the ps3 like the ps2 was to the ps3 . Remeber that is why the ps3 was so expensive at launch, they had to literally put the ps2 hardware inside of it to play its games. Why the can't use software emulation is a different story but i do believve that will invovle working with the game developers themselves.

Message 9 of 53 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

The PS3 was one HUGE mistake by Sony. Luckily, they were smart enough to learn their lesson, and they're now moving forward. Unfortunately, that means abandoning some of the things that have defined them for the last three generations (ie: Backwards Compatibility)

The games you have downloaded to your PS3 are built to use the Cell Processor and otherwise unique architecture of the PS3. If they want to move forward from the mistakes made with the PS3 and how it was engineered, this is an unfortunate price we have to pay. We had the same issue with PS2 games working on PS3. When the price drop came, it was no longer possible to keep the Emotion Engine chip in the console.

At least now we can plainly see a development philosophy change for PlayStation, and that's a good thing.

However, that's not to say Sony is above nickel & diming it's consumers. We still don't have the ability to do a simple PSN ID change. When I wanted to change my name over a year ago, I had to start over from scratch. I lost all my PlayStation Home purchases, access to DC Universe Online (it wasn't free then), Trophies, and needed to actually game share with myself (which was ridiculous). Meanwhile, on my other system, I'm just a small fee and a few clicks away from a name change, and get to keep everything I paid for.

It's a new world, Sony. Treat your customers well, and they'll pay you well. Do the opposite, and you'll find yourself (again) struggling to maintain your brand's value in a highly competitive market.

Message 10 of 53 (455 Views)
0 Likes