Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Re: Playstation 3 Downloads Gone for Good? Screwed by Sony?

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

If I bought software through Steam, I could still use it several OS's later. 

Content I purchased for XBox will work on the 360.

Why won't content from PS3 work on the PS4?

This is why I've been buying less on console and more from Steam. Add to that, that they are always having great deals and you can gift, buy 4 packs for cheaper, use m/kb or controller, easy to travel with game collection on laptop, etc.

Please enlighten me, because not all XBox games work on my 360. Games I would consider big games, Strangers Wrath, Unreal Championship, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, these don't work.

It would be nice if they could implement the use of this content through Gaikai. I see the point people make with keeping your PS3 if you want to play these games, but I also know hardware doesn't last forever. So unless you are someone that doesn't mind cracking open your system to change out a broken disk drive, then you are screwed when it breaks. I still have my PS2 for my collection, but for me and having kids it was probably less then a couple months and I go to play a game and my then young kids had all but destroyed the controllers.

I don't know how the hell they do it, and yes I tell them how to take care of things. It just obviously falls on deaf ears. This would be another reason people would want to be able to play on the newer hardware, and like I said why I've been going more PC, except for exclusives.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 53 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Apr 23, 2013

The biggest barrier to explaining Backwards Compatibility is the difficulty of explaining technical issues.

Anyway, I'll try my best:

--------------------------------------

There is a programming language called Assembly. Assembly is unique to each and every CPU Model out there, with each their own set of instructions. While all Assembly code looks more or less the same (a long list of instructions fed to the CPU), Assembly has to be tailored to the CPU you are programming on. So ASM codes from one CPU does NOT work on another if it has different instruction sets.

At the expense of speed, you can opt for "Higher Level" programming languages such as C. The compiler then translates the C code to Assembly. As you'd expect, having an interpreter at the middle of your code to the CPU causes a slight performance hit. However you can reuse the C code across multiple platforms because the Compiler takes care of translating it to Assembly.

xenoranger1979 wrote:

If I bought software through Steam, I could still use it several OS's later. 

Simple Answer: The PC has been using the same X86 instruction set for years.

That's why programs from Windows XP still works on 7, because it never changed. The only changes over the years were the addition of extensions and new instructions (many are short cuts that combine many instructions into one) but if you really look at the command list, you can even see instructions there that are as old as 1985.

You can even install Windows 7 on hardware that came out in the early 90's. Or install Windows 95 on a PC that came out 10 years later.

Why? Same instruction set. :smileyhappy:

Which brings me to this:

xenoranger1979 wrote:
Content I purchased for XBox will work on the 360.

The "Other Box" relies on emulation. You'll have to run an extra program (the emulator) that translates whatever language the XB1 uses to instructions the XB360 can understand. Because Assembly is so low-level, it's not only fast, but insanely sensitive to how fast and how accurate the emulator does it's job. Too slow, you'll have glitches, lag, sync issues and/or the game will crash. Too fast and you might be causing glitches and crashes. And if it's too inaccurate, you'll have compatibility issues.

And incompatibility issues there were: The list of XB games that are Backward Compatible are chock-full of glitches and issues, some very dangerous like "extreme data corruption to random files on your HDD" or "DLC will corrupt if the [console's] hard drive."

xenoranger1979 wrote:

Why won't content from PS3 work on the PS4?

And then to cut this post short, the PS3 is just simply too complex to reasonably emulate because of it's unique instruction set (some are not even implemented in x86), it's multicore architecture (requiring the emulator to juggle many streams of instructions at once, and requiring that every instruction stream is synchronized with each other) and the different timings of each instruction that have to be replicated (some assembly instructions require 1 cycle, some three, some two, etc.) and then the Quality Assurance is just massive (you'll have to test every PS3 game out there).

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 53 (244 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 23, 2013

With the Gaikai streaming features, I'm sure they will roll out pretty much all PS3 games for streaming eventually. It's actually better than emulation, because the games will be running on original PS3 hardware and streaming it to the PS4. You will need a solid fast internet connection to make it viable though.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 53 (234 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11046 posts

Apr 23, 2013
Doppel my friend, why waste so much time on a post where nary a word will make it into the skulls of these people?
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 53 (230 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Apr 23, 2013

johngie wrote:
Doppel my friend, why waste so much time on a post where nary a word will make it into the skulls of these people?

Oh well, at least I tried. :smileytongue:

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 53 (225 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Apr 23, 2013

johngie wrote:

Because its the "Me me me, why why why, now now now" generation of gamers..... especially when they fail to do their own research or have a fully developed cognitive abilities to possess logic and common sense.

I tried too.... sadly no one ever bothers as they continue the whining and complaining

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 53 (222 Views)
Wastelander
841 posts

Apr 23, 2013

xenoranger1979 wrote:

Between the local game shops and articles I've read online, I've been hearing that Sony will make all Playstation 3 downloads non-transferrable to the Playstation 4. If this happens, the crap ton of games and content I've purchased is pretty much gone-gone. I know my Rock Band and Guitar Hero have about 1,000 songs. I also have Buzz with almost all the quiz packs. 

I understand the Playstation 4 will not be backwards compatible for Disc-Based PS3 titles. I absolutely hate this notion, but I understand that Sony is going to do what lines their pockets best. I just don't understand why downloads purchased on PS3 would not be valid for PS4. I know I've spent over $1,500 in content from the network on my PS3 over the 4 years I've owned it. Like Steam and other digital game outlets, I want my previous purchases to still function on newer systems. 

So, if the rumors are true, then we're all screwed for downloading. We either have to repurchase anything we want to keep playing, or we lose those titles. 

Or.... you can keep your PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 53 (207 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

johngie wrote:

Because its the "Me me me, why why why, now now now" generation of gamers..... especially when they fail to do their own research or have a fully developed cognitive abilities to possess logic and common sense.

I tried too.... sadly no one ever bothers as they continue the whining and complaining

I have tried explaining it as well.  Though I think doppel's post is fantastic and should be stickied on it's own.  I've tried explaining the analogy of trying to translate text from Kanji to Hebrew on the fly when explaining the reasoning behind no B/C, but doppel's explanation works out great.  I myself had heard of assembly before, but didn't really grasp what it was with regards to code.  It now makes a LOT of sense with regards to what a compiler does and what the differences between coding languages are.  Many thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 53 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

this thread has a terrible title - you don't lose your PS3 downloads! keep your PS3 and you can still play those games

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 53 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

xenoranger1979 wrote:

Between the local game shops and articles I've read online, I've been hearing that Sony will make all Playstation 3 downloads non-transferrable to the Playstation 4. If this happens, the crap ton of games and content I've purchased is pretty much gone-gone. I know my Rock Band and Guitar Hero have about 1,000 songs. I also have Buzz with almost all the quiz packs. 

I understand the Playstation 4 will not be backwards compatible for Disc-Based PS3 titles. I absolutely hate this notion, but I understand that Sony is going to do what lines their pockets best. I just don't understand why downloads purchased on PS3 would not be valid for PS4. I know I've spent over $1,500 in content from the network on my PS3 over the 4 years I've owned it. Like Steam and other digital game outlets, I want my previous purchases to still function on newer systems. 

So, if the rumors are true, then we're all screwed for downloading. We either have to repurchase anything we want to keep playing, or we lose those titles. 

Because PS3 games are ALL developed on a specific hardware architecture... the PS4 is going to use the more common PC architecture to make better use of hardware and make much easier to make games for, faster.  This means that PS3 games WILL NOT be able to run on PS4 hardware.

Making games be re-made for the PS4 would be a costly and logistical nightmare just to make people be able to play the games they bought on the PSN for the PS3.... 

Sony also briefly mentioned Gaikai and what it could mean for backwards compatibility, but thats neither here nor there and theres zero information about how its going to be implemented.

Remember, Sony is a BUSINESS FIRST, they have to do what is right for themselves and their bottom line to stay aloat and keep the lights on and shelves stocked.....

Heres a thought.... Keep your PS3 and you won't have to worry about it.

for some reason people are thinking their ps3 will explode sitting next to a ps4..i just don't get it..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 53 (196 Views)
0 Likes