May 02 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Playstation 4 versus high-end PC

76 replies 864 views Edited May 2, 2013

These are powerful systems.  Let's compare a typical high-end PC to Playstation 4 in net performance:

PC

Graphics chip - 226 GB/s DRAM memory bandwidth

CPU - Quad Core, Core i7, 3.2 ghz, 1 billion transistors

Playstation 4 

Graphics chip:

176 GB/s DRAM memory bandwidth

76 GB/s SRAM memory bandwidth

CPU - 8 1.6 ghz cores, 200 million transistors total

PC has a far stronger CPU element - that's the one weakness that Playstation 4 has.  However in the GPU deparment, it has a considerable advantage, the SRAM serving as 152 GB/s DDR RAM, since it doesn't have destructive reads.  Giving it an effective 328 GB/s total power.  Thus - significantly ahead of the PC curb for now.  If they release it now.  

But of course video games are VERY poorly optimized for PCs - so the difference is much larger then that.  The average game is optimized for a video card 2-4 years older:

GPU:

50 GB/s

Whereas the Playstation 4's GPU will give 328 GB/s just about everytime.  It'll take a LONG time for the average PC game to reach that level - at least 5 years.  So it's ahead of the PC curb for 5 years. 

Message 1 of 77 (864 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Re: Playstation 4 versus high-end PC

May 2, 2013
Did you repost this?

Anyway, the biggest bottleneck on the PC I could see of is the PCIe Bus, which limits CPU to GPU communication to just a little less than 32GB/sec.
Message 2 of 77 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 2, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

But of course video games are VERY poorly optimized for PCs - so the difference is much larger then that.  The average game is optimized for a video card 2-4 years older:

I'll take the wait and see approach, because unless the game is built on PS4 and then ported to other systems it'll just be a ported game on PS4. So, exclusives should be great.

Again, I'll wait and see. I'm sure there will be beautiful games to come on all the systems.

Btw, I haven't had any problems with any of the games I've bought on Steam and my laptop is 2 years old and my desktop is 5 y.o. Though I'm sure I'll start to see some decline in performance with the new generation of consoles coming out. Oh well, at least my Steam/PC games will be backwards compatible. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 77 (845 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 2, 2013

Maybe its because I'm still half asleep at 1 o'clock in the afternoon, but I'm not really seeing the direct comparison with the very few specs listed below or how you went from comparing with high end PC rigs to average PC rigs.

Would help to see where you are pulling these numbers from cause my brain just thinks they are magical at the moment.

Message 4 of 77 (843 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 2, 2013
Just a thought, but the CPU comparison is really bupkiss there. Speed of the CPU or number of transistors means nothing. The total calculations per second that can be performed is the key item here. In my personal laptop, it's only got a 1.6 GHz CPU in there, I believe, but it outperforms the INCREDIBLY old Pentium 4, 4.0 GHz overclocked CPU I have in the desktop computer I haven't turned on in about 7 years.

With how CPU architecture and design differs from chip-to-chip, you can't go by the clock speed or transistor count any more. You need to be able to compare based upon architecture independent stats such as data processing ability, or calculations per second.
Message 5 of 77 (834 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

May 2, 2013

Jdurg wrote:
Just a thought, but the CPU comparison is really bupkiss there. Speed of the CPU or number of transistors means nothing. The total calculations per second that can be performed is the key item here. In my personal laptop, it's only got a 1.6 GHz CPU in there, I believe, but it outperforms the INCREDIBLY old Pentium 4, 4.0 GHz overclocked CPU I have in the desktop computer I haven't turned on in about 7 years.

With how CPU architecture and design differs from chip-to-chip, you can't go by the clock speed or transistor count any more. You need to be able to compare based upon architecture independent stats such as data processing ability, or calculations per second.

Yes but these are identical architectures.  ATi's 226 GB/s PC video card and it's 176 GB/s + 75 GB/s SRAm Playstation 4.  And AMD's x86 architecture is pretty much as good as its transistor count - 200 million.  It can't be better - no way can it compare to a 1 billion transistor Intel Core I7, that's for sure.

Message 6 of 77 (813 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2013
I find playing games(most genres) on my consoles more enjoyable than on PC except FPS (CoD, Battlefield) and Dota1,2 (not available on consoles ).....
Played Assassins Creed on my PC and I almost felt asleep....
Message 7 of 77 (804 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 2, 2013

AdrxSaga wrote:
I find playing games(most genres) on my consoles more enjoyable than on PC except FPS (CoD, Battlefield) and Dota1,2 (not available on consoles ).....
Played Assassins Creed on my PC and I almost felt asleep....

What's the difference in playing on your console vs. PC? I can play my PC games sitting on my couch with a controller, in 3D, with my surround sound just the same as using my console. So sorry, but I don't see the point of that part of your post.

Message 8 of 77 (791 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2013
It's the same I guess...
I don't own a controller for my PC so that might have influenced my opinion..
I play most of my 3rd person, RPG, sports games on my console so I didn't feel the need to buy a controller for my PC..
But we'll your comment stands...

Message 9 of 77 (779 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2013
^ Zzz my phone's auto correct keyboard sucks..
Message 10 of 77 (777 Views)
0 Likes