Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: Playstation 4 versus high-end PC

May 2, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

Jdurg wrote:
Just a thought, but the CPU comparison is really bupkiss there. Speed of the CPU or number of transistors means nothing. The total calculations per second that can be performed is the key item here. In my personal laptop, it's only got a 1.6 GHz CPU in there, I believe, but it outperforms the INCREDIBLY old Pentium 4, 4.0 GHz overclocked CPU I have in the desktop computer I haven't turned on in about 7 years.

With how CPU architecture and design differs from chip-to-chip, you can't go by the clock speed or transistor count any more. You need to be able to compare based upon architecture independent stats such as data processing ability, or calculations per second.

Yes but these are identical architectures.  ATi's 226 GB/s PC video card and it's 176 GB/s + 75 GB/s SRAm Playstation 4.  And AMD's x86 architecture is pretty much as good as its transistor count - 200 million.  It can't be better - no way can it compare to a 1 billion transistor Intel Core I7, that's for sure.

you don't have the slightest clue....i have a pc right now that will easily outperform the ps4's specs..

i am all for the ps4 and can't wait for it but theres no reason to act like its the more powerful than a high end pc..thats just ridiculous and hilarious all at the same time...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 11 of 77 (232 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

I didnt read the OP, but I can tell you a true "high end" gaming computer's stats are better than the Ps4's 

The Ps4, upon release, will compare to a mid-range gaming PC, still very powerful...but not as much as what I would consider a "high end" machine. I've built computers that cost over $6,000.00 Im sorry, but the PS4 just wont touch that.

The term "high end" is very subjective...so depending on what YOU interpret that to meen is how the Ps4 will stack up against one.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 12 of 77 (227 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 2, 2013

I can't wait until the PS4 comes out but there are computers out there that have better specs than the PS4. 

Message 13 of 77 (222 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

May 2, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

I didnt read the OP, but I can tell you a true "high end" gaming computer's stats are better than the Ps4's 

The Ps4, upon release, will compare to a mid-range gaming PC, still very powerful...but not as much as what I would consider a "high end" machine. I've built computers that cost over $6,000.00 Im sorry, but the PS4 just wont touch that.

The term "high end" is very subjective...so depending on what YOU interpret that to meen is how the Ps4 will stack up against one.

your exactly correct about how that "term" is used..i don't have 6 grand in one but comes to half that and it would easily kill a ps4 without breaking a sweat..

the ps4 is going to be a very nice console no doubt but trying to compare to a high end gaming rig is just hideous..

Message 14 of 77 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

Why is this even an issue?

Again, why are we comparing PC's to consoles?

This the typical "no S*!T" discussion.

PC's are ALWAYS going to be better at playing games. Period. You're not going to be able to play a game on PS4 in 2k, 4k or 8K resolutions (at least for the moment) like a PC HAS BEEN DOING for nearly 10+ years. 

Add in other graphical enhancements like Anisotropic Filtering, varying levels of Anti-Aliasing, MSAA, Tesselation, and its clear to see that the PS4, like ALL OTHER consoles before it is nothing more than a budget settop box that has a uniform spec.

This whole PS4 PC comparison is dumb. 

If you want exclusives from studios like Santa Monica, Naughty Dog or etc get a PS4. 

If you want sheer power,mods, titles that don't show up on consoles, build yourself a pc or buy one from a respectable manufacturer.

When it comes down to it..... you're going to play games on the platform that you're most confortable with.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 15 of 77 (211 Views)
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 3, 2013

Indeed, the whole point of consoles is to provide a quality gaming experiance at an affordable price point.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 16 of 77 (207 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

May 3, 2013

EXACTLY

Message 17 of 77 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

May 3, 2013

Obviously a High end PC is going to out perform next gen consoles BUT here is the problem with all this new PC hardware.  Developers Don't optimize it because if they have a PC platform they wan't to make it as ascessible to everyone as possible. Console hardware is overall better for lasting longer due to optimizing the system.  All High end PC hardware does is make the game run faster, from the stuff I've played the games right now Don't look THAT much better than the consoles counterpart.  It just has slightly better AA, and smother graphics.  Not to big of a difference at least to me.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 18 of 77 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 3, 2013

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Obviously a High end PC is going to out perform next gen consoles BUT here is the problem with all this new PC hardware.  Developers Don't optimize it because if they have a PC platform they wan't to make it as ascessible to everyone as possible. Console hardware is overall better for lasting longer due to optimizing the system.  All High end PC hardware does is make the game run faster, from the stuff I've played the games right now Don't look THAT much better than the consoles counterpart.  It just has slightly better AA, and smother graphics.  Not to big of a difference at least to me.

Almost none of the multiplatform games were optimized for the Ps3.

And stating the games run faster and look better on the PC meens they are optimized on the PC..so which is it?

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 19 of 77 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

[ Edited ]
May 3, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Indeed, the whole point of consoles is to provide a quality gaming experiance at an affordable price point.

what's an "affordable" price point when Sony continues to sell 2+ year-old games at full retail price, whereas those same games are constantly on super cheap/steam bundled sales for a mere $10-20?  How is this "affordable"?!

Winner: PC GAMING

Message 20 of 77 (179 Views)
0 Likes