Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Playstation 4 versus high-end PC

May 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

If you want exclusives from studios like Santa Monica, Naughty Dog or etc get a PS4. 

If you want sheer power,mods, titles that don't show up on consoles, build yourself a pc or buy one from a respectable manufacturer.

^THIS.

I too don't understand why these types of threads always pop up. It boils down to exactly what you said and anyone who thinks differently is naive, dumb, jaded, or a combination thereof.

Choosing a console should always boil down to exclusives, not multi-platform titles.

Message 41 of 77 (258 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7974 posts

May 4, 2013

PC gaming offers more of a selection and has a lot of possibilities, but also costs more up front.

Console gaming has a niche because it's cheaper up front and has always been innovative and novel in the way it approaches gaming.

If they can get the steambox/pisten, hardware spec to run higher quality games for less than I can buy a PS4 then you can start to compare consoles and PC's. It isn't there yet but seeing sony and ms move towards a PC build it may be on the way.

There's a huge separation between the "master race" PC mindset, HARDCORE Console players, and gamers that play EVERY thing and appreciate the different platforms for what they are.

Honestly the extremists of anything are annoying and the arguements they attempt to have are usually pointless, they also usually fall on deaf ears anyway. I get to see all type of gamers and let me tell you that no one is ever wrong so the arguments never end. Carry on.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 42 of 77 (257 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 4, 2013

rsteele wrote:

PC gaming offers more of a selection and has a lot of possibilities, but also costs more up front.

Console gaming has a niche because it's cheaper up front and has always been innovative and novel in the way it approaches gaming.

The cost differences are not as large as console fanboys (or maybe more accurately, PC haters) claim them to be. I'd venture a guess that 99% of those that can afford a console already own a PC in some form or another. Simply buying a $200 video card can beat the current gen consoles, or you can buy a $400-600 and already match next-gen. The CPU and RAM are probably completely adequate, with CPU only really coming into play for strategy games and RAM for MMOs (there are of course exceptions). I don't think you can get a CPU that isn't at a minimum dual-core, and most computers come with a minimum of 4GB, which is typically plenty for games, though RAM is cheap anyway. Then you look at the fact that most PC games are cheaper than console games at launch ($50 vs. $60, though some of the bigger names have been selling at $60 over the past year), but also sales and price drops are way more frequent on the PC thanks to Steam, Amazon, GOG, and GMG that have daily/weekly sales...and of course the influx of "indie bundles".

Like I said earlier, it mostly comes down to exclusives. The only other real advantage to console gaming is in-the-same-room multiplayer action, but a lot of PC games have been adding in local co-op support of late, so that advantage is dwindling.

Message 43 of 77 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 4, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

kythunder wrote:
my current gaming pc is at around 3 grand in cost compared to what the ps4 is going to be 400-500

This is why the conversation is pointless anyway. :smileytongue:

Maybe a "PS4 vs. PCs of the same price range" would be much better, and would be a fair comparison. I know budget laptops or budget desktops the same price as a PS3 would be more likely not to play the same games as a PS3 would.

oh yea,go dollar for dollar then the ps4 is a sure win lol.....my wifes 400 dollar netbook struggles for her to play Farmville LOL....

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 44 of 77 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7974 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

Again the arguement is void. The gamers that choose one over the other and bash and talk on and on aren't helping their cause.

I view it in a way that most of you can't or aren't able to.

It's the amount of up front cost that most people see. If I had to choose between a console and PC for gaming I'd choose console because I'm comfortable with that. I'd also be missing out on some awesome games on PC. Lucky for me that my budget doesn't seem to be that tight. Since we have at least 10 of each console as well as enough gaming PC's to play whatever whenever we want.

It's a matter of opinion and like everyone has one...

Message 45 of 77 (248 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17688 posts

May 4, 2013

rsteele wrote:

Again the arguement is void. The gamers that choose one over the other and bash and talk on and on aren't helping their cause.

I view it in a way that most of you can't or aren't able to.

It's the amount of up front cost that most people see. If I had to choose between a console and PC for gaming I'd choose console because I'm comfortable with that. I'd also be missing out on some awesome games on PC. Lucky for me that my budget doesn't seem to be that tight. Since we have at least 10 of each console as well as enough gaming PC's to play whatever whenever we want.

It's a matter of opinion and like everyone has one...

While I agree with your post, you come across as uppity and snobby, so heres a sarcastic gif.

RDJeyeroll.gif

Message 46 of 77 (234 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

May 5, 2013
I still play with my PS2, let me know if you still use the same "high-end PC" since 2002.

This comparisons are dumb, sure the PC beats consoles on raw power but boxes have all the best titles, at least thats my opinion. You are free to pick what you want but don't claim your selection is superior because of stupid reasons.
Message 47 of 77 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 5, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:
I still play with my PS2, let me know if you still use the same "high-end PC" since 2002.

This comparisons are dumb, sure the PC beats consoles on raw power but boxes have all the best titles, at least thats my opinion. You are free to pick what you want but don't claim your selection is superior because of stupid reasons.

That argument is completely idiotic. Not all PS2 games are playable on the PS3 so you need to play your PS2 if you want to play those games. On the other hand, any PC today, even a cheap laptop, can play any PC game from 2002, so PC gamers don't have to keep old hardware lying around.

That's completely subjective, don't be naive.

Message 48 of 77 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7974 posts

May 6, 2013

The entire PC vs. Console arguement is subjective. Based on what titles you want to play, how much you want to spend initially, and

what your prefer based on your opinion.

Some games are only on PC, some games are only on certain consoles.

(I wanted to sound arrogant to fit in with everyone saying PC's are so much greater than consoles)

It's almost as annoying as the PS3 vs. Xbox debate but more so because on the PC side you aren't limited to what the manufacturer puts in a box and sells to the consumers. I don't think there are many cheap laptops that are being used to play games that ARE NOT from 2002. Because most "cheap laptops" won't even run a game like League of legends much less a Battlefield 3 or something similar.

Geeze.

Message 49 of 77 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

May 6, 2013

rsteele wrote:

It's almost as annoying as the PS3 vs. Xbox debate but more so because on the PC side you aren't limited to what the manufacturer puts in a box and sells to the consumers. I don't think there are many cheap laptops that are being used to play games that ARE NOT from 2002. Because most "cheap laptops" won't even run a game like League of legends much less a Battlefield 3 or something similar.

Geeze.

I play Starcraft 2 on my laptop I got all the way back in January 2009 when I go to my friend's house :smileytongue:. Now obviously I use medium settings and not ultra like at home, and it sure does burn up like a mofo, but hey, it still runs.

There is a big difference between laptops/notebooks and netbooks, and I think too many people just lump them all together. As long as your laptop has a dedicated video card, which you can get even in cheap ones, you can play a lot of the "major" games. Netbooks on the other hand, well they're not intended for gaming at all...you can get away with some casual games, but that's about it.

Message 50 of 77 (164 Views)
0 Likes