Highlighted
Aug 18 2013
By: da1writer MVP Support 6209 posts

Playstation Plus saved my TV .. and my controller going through it

[ Edited ]
11 replies 372 views Edited Aug 18, 2013

Currently I'm playing Metro Last Light but last night I thought I'd finally bite that one deal of Max Payne 3 for $8. Due to how huge the download would be, I left my PS3 on all night to download it while I slept. In the afternoon I jumped back on to Metro and while I played a bit my PS3 all of a sudden froze.

Nothing to worry about right. Well... Metro Last Light's save system is an auto save feature, no manual saving whatsoever. The PS3 froze when it was auto saving...

Following where this is going...

I restarted the PS3 just fine but something odd happened when I started my Metro game. The game asked in the beginning what language I wanted... Which is odd since they never asked me before. Thought nothing of it and selected English. Once I got to the menu though... The horror set in. New Game was the only thing available, Continue was grayed out and Chapters were blank. I went to instant freak out mode.

"No. No. No. You got to be kidding me!" 

I quit the game and went to the save utility folder. The save file for Metro Last Light...

... was corrupted. All my progress was gone and looking up a guide online, it showed I "was" 70% done with the game. I would have to start over from the beginning again. Before becoming a prime subject for anger management... I remembered something.

I'm a PlayStation + member. My saves automatically get uploaded into cloud storage every day.

So I went back into the save utility folder again and see it... The cloud saves folder. Lo and behold, my save was uploaded last night for Metro Last Light. I was so happy! Downloaded the save back to my PS3. While I did lose a few chapters I did today... It's loads better than starting the game All over again.

Moral of the story, can't always depend on the hard drive/console to safe guard your saves, it's best to have someway to back it up often, PS+ is a godsend (as I don't have to worry about it). For those who think PS+ is useless, it has advantages you may never think necessary until a certain situation happens. Mine came today, going to be subscribed to PS+ for life now Smiley Wink

Did anyone run into the same situation as me or something that made you glad you had the cloud saves?

Message 1 of 12 (372 Views)
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Re: Playstation Plus saved my TV .. and my controller going through it

Aug 18, 2013

The exact same situation did not happen to me. Instead when I switched out my 40GB HDD with my 1TB HDD (about **bleep** time!!!) I had all of my saves from my games thanks to the cloud storage. Cat Very Happy

Message 2 of 12 (351 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Currently I'm playing Metro Last Light but last night I thought I'd finally bite that one deal of Max Payne 3 for $8. Due to how huge the download would be, I left my PS3 on all night to download it while I slept. In the afternoon I jumped back on to Metro and while I played a bit my PS3 all of a sudden froze.

Nothing to worry about right. Well... Metro Last Light's save system is an auto save feature, no manual saving whatsoever. The PS3 froze when it was auto saving...

Following where this is going...

I restarted the PS3 just fine but something odd happened when I started my Metro game. The game asked in the beginning what language I wanted... Which is odd since they never asked me before. Thought nothing of it and selected English. Once I got to the menu though... The horror set in. New Game was the only thing available, Continue was grayed out and Chapters were blank. I went to instant freak out mode.

"No. No. No. You got to be kidding me!" 

I quit the game and went to the save utility folder. The save file for Metro Last Light...

... was corrupted. All my progress was gone and looking up a guide online, it showed I "was" 70% done with the game. I would have to start over from the beginning again. Before becoming a prime subject for anger management... I remembered something.

I'm a PlayStation + member. My saves automatically get uploaded into cloud storage every day.

So I went back into the save utility folder again and see it... The cloud saves folder. Lo and behold, my save was uploaded last night for Metro Last Light. I was so happy! Downloaded the save back to my PS3. While I did lose a few chapters I did today... It's loads better than starting the game All over again.

Moral of the story, can't always depend on the hard drive/console to safe guard your saves, it's best to have someway to back it up often, PS+ is a godsend (as I don't have to worry about it). For those who think PS+ is useless, it has advantages you may never think necessary until a certain situation happens. Mine came today, going to be subscribed to PS+ for life now Smiley Wink

Did anyone run into the same situation as me or something that made you glad you had the cloud saves?

Yeah, recently started playing LoTR War in the North. Played LAN co-op one day. Next day played again. Next day I went to play and I couldn't get into any game. Nothing. I was level 17 with one character ... 

I didn't turn my PS3 off the night before, so my PS+ upload didn't happen. I was THANKFUL! I don't know when the corruption started, but I had played fine and quit correctly before ... but I couldn't play, and so I downloaded my game profile from the cloud storage, I was level 10 ... had to play longer but I was smarter and leveled up faster, and finished the first playthrough of the game. Phew!

That is the biggest PS+ cloud save SAVED me I have, but I did also have a bad one: I deleted my Cloud Save for LBP2 last year, for some kick myself reason. I had to start all over when I went to play on my new PS3. I had deleted my profile off the older PS3 because I KNEW it was in cloud save from last time I uploaded it, which was right, but I remembered TOO LATE that I'd cleaned up that folder one day. Oops. [I was transferring stuff from an older PS3 to that PS3, cleaned up all that data before attemped to transfer.  Robot Frustrated]

I like Cloud Save, it's useful to go between different PS3's and also to delete something on your PS Vita and put it back on again easily later. If I didn't have Cloud Save for LBP2 and LBP Vita now, I think I'd be quite scared. Robot wink 

Message 3 of 12 (292 Views)
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2013

I don't have cloud backups set to auto, (maybe I should) but i still manually copy my game saves to the cloud after most gaming sessions.

I tried PS Plus with a free trial i got in God of War Saga and I fully intend on renewing it after my 30 days is up.

PS Plus is awesome!

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP and PSVita owner.
Message 4 of 12 (284 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Aug 19, 2013

da1writer wrote:

One should never depend nor fully trust any storage device [e.g. HDD, flash memory, etc] let alone all of your data to a single storage device. Multiple backups: local, portable & offsite (cloud) is the way to to go.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 12 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Aug 19, 2013

I just recently joined PS+ and have a quick question. I never set anything up to auto save directly to the cloud. Is that something that I have to do or is it already defaulted to that? I definitely don't want to experience a "loss" if anything were to happen.

Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita

"Wonder why your life is screaming? Wonder why we're Humans Being?

photo daec859e-bed4-420a-8ce4-132c23840589.jpg

Message 6 of 12 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2013

I'm ready to upgrade to a 1GB hard drive myself. Was it a relative easy switch or an in-depth process? Your help is appreciated!

Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita

"Wonder why your life is screaming? Wonder why we're Humans Being?

photo daec859e-bed4-420a-8ce4-132c23840589.jpg

Message 7 of 12 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Aug 19, 2013
everytime that happened to me I just cold reboot the system and all my stuffs is gravy, then again I always buy disc versions of games. might consider downloads on the PS4.
I would love to work for any gaming company but I believe that I lack the necessary requirements for hire. Well **** that im gonna buy everything I need to make a videogame myself. It may take me years but I will become a top industry game dev.
Message 8 of 12 (243 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Aug 19, 2013

JGordon24-48 wrote:

I just recently joined PS+ and have a quick question. I never set anything up to auto save directly to the cloud. Is that something that I have to do or is it already defaulted to that? I definitely don't want to experience a "loss" if anything were to happen.

To turn these settings on go to: Settings/System Settings/Automatic Update

Message 9 of 12 (239 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Aug 19, 2013

JGordon24-48 wrote:

I'm ready to upgrade to a 1GB hard drive myself. Was it a relative easy switch or an in-depth process? Your help is appreciated!

You will need an internal 2.5" SATA HDD.

You will need the lastest PS3 system firmware saved, as you are directed, in a USB flash drive.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

Here is how to remove and replace the HDD

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/~/upgrade-the-hard-disk-drive-(hdd)

Make sure to backup your pictures, music etc. You can backup your gamesaves to the PS cloud.

Message 10 of 12 (234 Views)
0 Likes