May 22 2013
By: Elite-Rico First Son 15 posts
Accepted Solution

Playstation Vita Email updates vs iphone

6 replies 111 views Edited May 22, 2013

I am considering purchasing a vita instead of a smartphone, was curious if the vita updates you of new emails on the homescreen. Also if you are able to use google voice to make text messages. the account is tied to my email and i was wondering if it would update on the homescreen as a new email count.

Message 1 of 7 (111 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3135 posts

Re: Playstation Vita Email updates vs iphone

May 22, 2013
Get a smart phone, you cant make calls and browse the web and check emails everywhere you go with the Vita. The Vitas Gmail app is OK and works as it should. It doesn't have voice text messages . As long as you have a wifi connection it will show you in the corner that you have a new message . The Vita isn't a cell; hone, it doesn't have push notifications like smart phones where you get the email and message right away. The Vita can only do that if you turn it on and have a internet connection ( wifi or 3g model )
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 2 of 7 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

May 22, 2013

Elite-Rico wrote:

I am considering purchasing a vita instead of a smartphone, was curious if the vita updates you of new emails on the homescreen. Also if you are able to use google voice to make text messages. the account is tied to my email and i was wondering if it would update on the homescreen as a new email count.

The PSV is a dedicated gaming handheld. The iphone is a smartphone that can play some games. If you want to do serious stuff, it's a no brainer that you need a smartphone. Gaming console, the description alone should tip you enough that all you should expect out of it is to play games~.

Message 3 of 7 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

May 22, 2013

The native Playstation Vita email application can auto refresh your emails every 15 minutes at the lowest setting, so if you don't need the email the very second someone sent it that's fine.

I don't really use Google Voice, but I assume there is an option to have your text messages received forwarded to your email.

This way you could access the text messages through the Email application, and send a reply through the browser. (bookmarking the Google Voice Page helps)

As for the calling part Skype handles that nicely, especially after the latest update which allows it to continue a call even while you are playing a game. (I tested this out by playing Soul Sacrfice while talking with my family)

If you do decide to buy a Playstation Vita instead of a Smartphone, I would recommend picking up Sony's portable charger for it.

Especially if you plan on gaming on the go a lot.

Message 4 of 7 (82 Views)
First Son
15 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

thanks for the info guys, leaning towards a vita as i dont rly need voice or immediate texting. just looking for a device with good games and the ability to send/ recieve text over wifi. the fact that it isnt instant doesnt really bother me. and to deavo im not talking voice text just simple sms.

IDK guess im just more into the games than the phone part of it,  dont really get enough texts anyways to warrant buying a smartphone.

Message 5 of 7 (77 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

May 23, 2013

Seeing as you are leaning towards purchasing a PS Vita might I suggest considering the 3G model. While most here would say don't bother due to its limitations and all of that jazz I say give it a thought. The 3G is optional and you pay for it when you feel you will use it. I have the 3G model and love the convenience of carrying a 3G network when I need it. I use it a lot to be honest. And yes it is only useful for browsing and networking but it that's good as it is.

I have good reception with AT&T where I live so my 3G connection in my Vita isn't all that bad. It is fast especially when the area has full AT&T coverage. It could be usseful to you if you happen to be in an area where there is no WiFi. Just consider it as another option. Not saying do not buy the WiFi only model or you HAVE to get the 3G model, just consider it.

Message 6 of 7 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 23, 2013

ha yah know im goin all out if i buy one, definately get 3g seems more sensable to me than a 50 dollar a month cell bill. How is the battery life on the vita. someone mentioned a portable recharger how does that work? also any feedback on the speakers as i will probably be using the mp3 function while im @ work.

Message 7 of 7 (60 Views)
0 Likes