Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: Playstation Vita should have a convex screen

Jun 29, 2011

Alright then, giving you the benefit of doubt, how are you creating and delivering the 3D steroscopic (binocular) images to each individual eye? Your example picture shows 3D space being rendered inside the screen. Can't be done with anything resembling current screen tech. If you render on the surface then each eye sees the same thing (and it will be distorted).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 21 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jun 29, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

Alright then, giving you the benefit of doubt, how are you creating and delivering the 3D steroscopic (binocular) images to each individual eye? Your example picture shows 3D space being rendered inside the screen. Can't be done with anything resembling current screen tech. If you render on the surface then each eye sees the same thing (and it will be distorted).

It can be done. Its called transformation, I ve done it on math specific software.

Anyways, here is the image

example.jpg

no more, I am tired.

Message 22 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 29, 2011

Except that both eyes will see both images (and at least one will be distorted).

Message 23 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jun 29, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

Except that both eyes will see both images (and at least one will be distorted).

If the lighting software is good, it should see one image one way and another image another way,

Whatever dude, I don't care anyomre!!

Message 24 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 29, 2011

The ONLY way your "design" would work is if you had some kind of holographic display. No conventional screen tech will do what you are saying it should. It just will not work the way you think it will. You cannot render 3D space inside a 2D screen, curved or not (not without something to separate the images for each eye).

Now holography is something I am pretty well versed in, and there is nothing even remotely portable that can display 3D holographic spatial light fields. There are some pretty cool displays made by a company called Holografika, but their smallest display is 37.1" x 23.7" x 17.5" with a 32" diagonal screen that only renders at 512x320 pixels (per viewpoint), it weighs over 120 lbs, and it draws 600 watts of power. Personally, that's a bit more than I want in my pocket (I'd love one in my computer room, though).

But like I said, if you are sooo much smarter than the rest of us, submit your design to Sony. And if you sell it and get rich you can come back and laugh at all of us.

Message 25 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jun 29, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

The ONLY way your "design" would work is if you had some kind of holographic display. No conventional screen tech will do what you are saying it should. It just will not work the way you think it will. You cannot render 3D space inside a 2D screen, curved or not (not without something to separate the images for each eye).

Now holography is something I am pretty well versed in, and there is nothing even remotely portable that can display 3D holographic spatial light fields. There are some pretty cool displays made by a company called Holografika, but their smallest display is 37.1" x 23.7" x 17.5" with a 32" diagonal screen that only renders at 512x320 pixels (per viewpoint), it weighs over 120 lbs, and it draws 600 watts of power. Personally, that's a bit more than I want in my pocket (I'd love one in my computer room, though).

But like I said, if you are sooo much smarter than the rest of us, submit your design to Sony. And if you sell it and get rich you can come back and laugh at all of us.

do you think that the screen I am talking about is some kind of accessory? like an over-screen that goes over the oled. Its not. It is the main screen. It is the OLED. If that where the confusion is, than ok, but if its not, lets just call it a night.

Message 26 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jun 29, 2011

cool Schematics bro!

Message 27 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12339 posts

Jun 29, 2011

The guy just doesn't get it.

The only thing a convex screen would give you is a really stupid image. You would look at it and see the center fine, but the sides would be at an angle and would look "stretched".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jun 30, 2011

You know I'm getting really tired of this 3D crap. Just because 3DS has it doesn't mean everything should have it. And I've tried using the 3DS. . . that thing gave me a migraine and made my eyes hurt after just 5 minutes. And it really adds nothing to the game overall. It's just another way to see the game, that really doesn't even work for everyone. My friend can't view 3D at all. It doesn't work for him.

3D is a gimmick, plain and simple.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 29 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12339 posts

Jun 30, 2011

I actually enjoy the 3D effect, too bad you get a headache.

Once you get used to it, it works well, especially on Ocarina of Time 3D. But back to the point:

Convex screen=crap image.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 30 of 72 (14 Views)
0 Likes