Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Re: Playstation network and Racism

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

Only people you should have a headset on for is your friends that are currently in a party with you. Why would you want to conversate or hear what strangers are talking about every match anyway? Just mute everyone in the lobby with a mic thats not your friends. Sometimes you can even hear what a person is about before you start talking. Enjoy your online gaming with your friends, like you claim you are trying to do.  Until then you can sit there,listen and be dragged in it, stop playing the game all together or use the tools you already have. mute, report and maybe get your friends to also to do the same. Not much they can do unless they start sending you messages harrassing you.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 110 (230 Views)
Fender Bender
2917 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Tinys wrote:

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

I'm sorry, but I am getting a bit irked by these "I'm a female player and blank". Guess what, this happends to men too. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, but what can you do about it? PSN is filled with an array of different people and you're bound to find someone that is rude to you. Maybe you gals should start a movement (since it seems there's a big number of you now) and ask Sony for a more punishing "report"ing system for the good of online gaming. :smileyhappy:

hahaha that sounds so mean

How so? It is only the truth. I'm just saying that instead of just writing about it why not do a mass-report to Sony? I know I'm going to be hated for it, and I'm sorry, but I'm just seeing how I could help so they can stop hearing all these insults in the PSN.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 110 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11013 posts

Apr 18, 2013
TL;DR, the new generation sucks.
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 110 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2917 posts

Apr 18, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

Only people you should have a headset on for is your friends that are currently in a party with you. Why would you want to conversate or hear what strangers are talking about every match anyway? Just mute everyone in the lobby with a mic thats not your friends. Sometimes you can even hear what a person is about before you start talking. Enjoy your online gaming with your friends, like you claim you are trying to do.  Until then you can sit there,listen and be dragged in it, stop playing the game all together or use the tools you already have. mute, report and maybe get your friends to also to do the same. Not much they can do unless they start sending you messages harrassing you.

I would give you over 9000 kudos if I could.

That's what I have been saying this whole time. This happends to males too, that's why I simply mute them. Either they're saying insults at eachother or just saying complete random shnit. When I play with my friends I mute everyone else. Not only to block their stupid comments, but also to not bother them with my conversation with my friends. Just have some common sense. If you know you're going to get insulted by some random folk on the internet, then just mute them! Yes I know it's a pain, but at least we have an option.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 110 (220 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46582 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

Many times, when I jump into an online game, I'll mute anyone whom I don't know.   Sometimes I'll leave people off mute but I have a VERY VERY low tolerance for things that annoy me on the headset, stay annoying more than 10 seconds or more than 3 times and chances are your screenname found my mute function :smileywink:.

To the person in the first post.   Just use this info if you feel the offensive people are over the top and need to be "handled"    https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/kw/report%20abuse

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 110 (207 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

DoubleO_seven wrote:

I would give you over 9000 kudos if I could.

That's what I have been saying this whole time. This happends to males too, that's why I simply mute them. Either they're saying insults at eachother or just saying complete random shnit. When I play with my friends I mute everyone else. Not only to block their stupid comments, but also to not bother them with my conversation with my friends. Just have some common sense. If you know you're going to get insulted by some random folk on the internet, then just mute them! Yes I know it's a pain, but at least we have an option.

Very well stated.  The sad truth of the matter is that this is just how society is right now.  The anonymity that the internet provides people allows them to behave in manners that are just not appropriate.  The thing is, due to the anonymity, there really isn't any way to effectively stop it.  When I was growing up, if you wanted to play a game with a complete stranger, the only answer was to get some quarters and visit the local arcade.  While there, you had to still watch how you acted since there wasn't a veil of anonymity.  Once online gaming took force, the scum of our society were able to act like the immature, ethically maligned children that we see today.

Sadly, we are too far into this method of behavior to put a stop to it.  As a society, we could have done something about this at the start of the online gaming boom by policing ourselves.  Instead, we just let it be and taught these children that what they are doing is acceptable because it's "online".  Those children have since grown up and likely have children of their own who do the same thing.  Partly because mommy and daddy would rather sit their kid in front of a videogame instead of actually parenting them.  As a result, these racist/sexist/homophobic behaviors thrive.

I HATE online gaming.  Thankfully, I don't like FPS games so I haven't had any desire to get into the genre and deal with the scumbags.  What's frustrating me the most is that the appeal of online gaming in the industry is forcing it into what were previously SP only games.  I'm a HUGE fan of God of War, and the latest installment (Ascension) has been massively impacted by the shoehorning of MP into it.  Now, the series has to dumb itself down to appeal to the MP fans who have no interest in the SP campaign and just want to play MP and perpetuate the malignancy of this bad behavior.  The MP crowd will cry the loudest, and they will get whatever they want while the SP folk get ignored.

The best way to handle the immature brats is to, as all others here have stated, mute them so you won't hear it.  They won't get a response from you and they'll soon move on to insult another person/gender/ethnicity/sexuality.  While it would be ideal to be able to get them banned, without a way to actually record the statements that were made and tie it specifically to an IP address, (Something the PSN/PS3 is unable to do) it can't be done.

The reasoning for this is that there are a good number of people who are sore losers with regards to gaming, and if they were getting legitimately beat by a better player they would go and report them for saying "bad things" and then an innocent person gets banned.  Even with the current system in place, if a group of "thugs" decides to mass report a user to Sony just because they got owned in an online game, a ban can be implemented on the innocent person.

The BEST thing you can do is to make sure that this type of behavior isn't carried on to the next generation.  If/when you have children, make sure that you impress upon them the need to behave properly and cordially.  If they are playing games online, ensure that you are within earshot of them and harshly reprimand them when behave like a imbecile.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 110 (203 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
362 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

I Got A 7 Day Suspension In December For Being Untactful I Learned To Be More Tactful And Use The Resource Of Block,Ignore,Mute:smileysurprised:

RED
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 110 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Thank you finally an answer i can cope with instead of lame opinions.

its nice that most out there tell me to ignore it. (its obvious im making the jackie chan what the wjat face) Who ignore being called out their name to insult their history. Who sit there and let some tard say nasty things about him having relations woth your mom. Who ignores being sexually harrass or trolled

So let some money come out your pocket or let someone punch you dead in the face and you turn the other cheek and mute them. (yeah right.) Point im trying to make here wether it obvious people do these things to start a riot online or they just dont have a life. Words like those shouldnt be ignored, they're made to hurt and shouldn't be said so freely. i guess a lot of people watch Django and got balls lately

But thankyou for this link. People can no longer make grief reports and the whole call psn is just to discourage you from reporting becuase by the time you get a hold of someone it almost feels like what the point if you had to call to report someone when it could.be easly done from your system
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 110 (186 Views)
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Apr 18, 2013
For all thos people who telling i'm getting bent out of shape im lazy etc, im being sexest. I never did mention it only happens to females did i ? Nooooooo, but seeing that this is a online community for gaming it mostly consisted of men. I would say that 2 percent are females gaming, less then one percent have bluetooth. i been gaming for a while now and cod is not the only online community i play with. I have never seen a female or gay guy look at someone gamer tage and start harrasing him sexually. So to say that guys get sexually harassed on a daily didnt even make sense and is most definitely false. And yes as a female we do recieve it the worst when it comes to online gaming. I.ve added guys as friend just too end up sexually harrasing me, or be the only female in the room and some guy randome start mess with me.

And ps3 can fix this by simply permanantly banning there system from going online. And it not only for me but its for everyone including myself. So it not lazy of me that i took the time out to give ps a good patton to help make online gaming better.

Simple: someone make racial remarks they get reported. Once another reports them for the same thing. Ps send out a warning message if they're reported again theyre systems gets permantly band fron going online period. (so even if you make another profile. It wont work) That means no youtube not netflix no ps home or store, basicAlly your ps3 or 4 will become worthless. (trust and believe if i had to cash out 3 to 400 for a system i wouldnt even cuss. All this mutting and blocking them obviously isnt working if theyre keep coming out the blue.

And no not just kids say these thing but grown men aswell. Mater of fact i hard more slang and slurs from grown man .
Hell i also dont know why im taking my time to explain to people why stuff like this shoukd be taking care.

And yes just by people talking they get slammed becuase someone always got to make it a race thing.. Sure i can block mute report but you cant do that to everyone they just keep coming. Not only that but i also was told thst psn looks at how many times you had to report or block someone and it could very well turn on you as if your the one starting drama.
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 110 (180 Views)
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Yeah come up with a new meme. Matter of fact you must be old here becuase no one uses memes anymore. That was so january ago
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 110 (232 Views)
0 Likes