Jul 28 2012
By: Conquerant First Son 23 posts

Please Sony, do something against the Game Genie

[ Edited ]
87 replies 4170 views Edited Feb 5, 2014

A new thing called the Game Genie was released.  It allows people to hack save files using the USB port and a PC.  They can cheat and get trophies this way, and will soon be able to cheat online.  So both the trophy system and online gameplay will be ruined.  Please Sony, do something against this!

<Community Manager Edit> 

Considering the date of the OP and that the conversation is taking a different turn, going to lock this thread. Thanks!

- morgan / mochuuu

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 88 (4,170 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23803 posts

Re: Please Sony, do something against the Game Genie

Jul 28, 2012

Better to post this to the Blog Share. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 88 (4,168 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Jul 28, 2012

According to the manufacturer they're banning online cheats. But yeah the potential is definitely there I suppose. Another reason why I prefer offline, single player or couch co-op games. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 88 (4,160 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5628 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2012

Sony will only do something against this if it allows you to earn the trophies or effect online play, and since it does neither currently I don`t see sony doing something about this. If you use this device about 95% of trophies will be blocked from unlocking on that save. Certain trophies can be a little easier to unlock. However this device is a save moddifier, it can only do what is already programmed into the game and is possible to do by normal game play. Since only around 5% of trophies can be earned using this device (I am not saying 95% of trophies are blocked, although some will be blocked completly on the save, I am saying 95% of them are not earned by using this device, you still have to fullfill all conditions of the trophy to earn it, if this device is used to fullfill the conditions, the trophy will be blocked.), it`s not something sony would act on.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 88 (4,151 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Jul 28, 2012
its always like a cat and mouse game with people who want to cheat and get away with things not allowed.

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 88 (4,144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2362 posts

Jul 28, 2012

Conquerant wrote:

A new thing called the Game Genie was released.  It allows people to hack save files using the USB port and a PC.  They can cheat and get trophies this way, and will soon be able to cheat online.  So both the trophy system and online gameplay will be ruined.  Please Sony, do something against this!

Game Genie isn't new. It just hasn't been around in a while. It was available for NES, SNES, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
1,100+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 88 (4,136 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Jul 28, 2012

this thing is just a sales gimmick,you could do most what this does without it if you have half a brain,it won't affect online play and if it somehow does people will get banned,they can easily tell if your using this device...it's far away from rocket science..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 88 (4,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jul 29, 2012

Game Genie isn't new. It just hasn't been around in a while. It was available for NES, SNES, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear.

I think that perhaps that the OP was too young to remember when the original Game Genie was around?

I won't lie though. I had a game genie for my NES and Genesis. I won't use one this time around.

Get your Portable ID!

PS1 - PS2 - PSP - PS3 - DSi XL - 3DS XL - Wii - PC
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 88 (4,104 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Aug 18, 2012

DUDE! SHUT THE **bleep** UP! Don't ruin the fun for everyone else, btw it's impossible to use cheats online, some of us like to cheat through the game to make it easier. Why the hell do you care if we get all our trophies??? You don't like it? Then don't buy it! Game genie and gameshark and action replay have been around since the 90s for gods sake! It's cool to get all our trophies, so stop ruining the fun for everyone else, why the **bleep** do you care anyways???

HOP OFF!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 88 (4,033 Views)
Fender Bender
3986 posts

Aug 18, 2012

ibenez95 wrote:

DUDE! SHUT THE **bleep** UP! Don't ruin the fun for everyone else, btw it's impossible to use cheats online, some of us like to cheat through the game to make it easier. Why the hell do you care if we get all our trophies??? You don't like it? Then don't buy it! Game genie and gameshark and action replay have been around since the 90s for gods sake! It's cool to get all our trophies, so stop ruining the fun for everyone else, why the **bleep** do you care anyways???

HOP OFF!

Is troll serious or not? Can not tell...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 88 (4,029 Views)