Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 10 2013
By: TheSterls First Son 7 posts

Please make the PS4 backwards compatable.

33 replies 334 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

Im a huge Playstation fan and have been so since the PS1.  I wanted to post on the topic of backwards compatablity because im worried Sony will not put it in there next console.  I personally think that would be a huge mistake as it would be slapping almost 75 million people in the face who already own a PS3.  I also dont think its a coincidence that the PS3 gave up alot of ground ot the Xbox 360 and I think that has alot to do with the fact they took out backwards compatablity.  

Please if anyone is reading this put Full BC in the PS4 even if its exclusive to a premium priced sku.  Its essential to the hardcore PS fanatics like myself. 

Message 1 of 34 (334 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Please make the PS4 backwards compatable.

Jan 10, 2013
The reason the PS4 is rumored not to have BC with the PS3 is that it doesn't share a common CPU/GPU that the PS3 had. The WiiU does share the same type of CPU/GPU, so that is why it is able to have BC with Wii games.

IMO if the games on the PS4 look advanced enough and the initial price point isn't too expensive (under $400), I think Sony can get away with not having it not be able to play PS3 games.

Most likely the PS3 lost ground to the X360 simply because it came out a year later and it lacked a large selection of great games. Remember the first PS3 models did have BC and they didn't sell very well.

Also the X720 is rumored not to be BC with the X360 either, so both next gen consoles should be in the same boat...
Message 2 of 34 (328 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Why would you need BC if you own a PS3?

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 3 of 34 (301 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 11, 2013

just keep your ps3 you have now... OMG problem solved !!!

ps4 isnt even announced yet. dude focus on the present.

Equality for all
Message 4 of 34 (285 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1446 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

wrooooong. most people will probably sell their ps3 to help them afford the ps4..

Message 5 of 34 (254 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Jan 13, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

wrooooong. most people will probably sell their ps3 to help them afford the ps4..

Yea... because selling a PS3 is going to get them only $150.

the used console market is not as strong as everyone leads others to believe. And it only gets worse when people actually try to sell their current consoles in preparation for the next generation.

The more used consoles that are being sold, the LESS value they will be worth. And if you havent seen the current used prices of PS3's.... $150 is the average selling price....

with rumor mills hinting at a $400-500 price tag... selling a PS3 isn't going to make a dent.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 6 of 34 (234 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Jan 13, 2013

TheSterls wrote:

Im a huge Playstation fan and have been so since the PS1.  I wanted to post on the topic of backwards compatablity because im worried Sony will not put it in there next console.  I personally think that would be a huge mistake as it would be slapping almost 75 million people in the face who already own a PS3.  I also dont think its a coincidence that the PS3 gave up alot of ground ot the Xbox 360 and I think that has alot to do with the fact they took out backwards compatablity.  

Please if anyone is reading this put Full BC in the PS4 even if its exclusive to a premium priced sku.  Its essential to the hardcore PS fanatics like myself. 

If you're a "hardcore PS fanatic" then you wouldn't care about B/C because you would have every PS console ever made... like myself.

I have a collection of EVERY Playstation console model that ever came to the US. And I even have multiples of each version just because they are always on ebay for pennies so i can use them for parts etc etc.

I have a CECHA-01 and an HE-01 model PS3, with the HA being put away since I now have the new CECH-4000 series Super Slim.

It seems I am more "hardcore fanatic" than you.
As such, I revoke your status

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 7 of 34 (232 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25217 posts

Jan 13, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

Doesn't anyone have jobs anymore?

Message 8 of 34 (228 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Jan 13, 2013
Yeah, I bought a BC PS3, only played a PS2 game like once on it.

No reason to have BC, it just spikes the price.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 9 of 34 (226 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25217 posts

Jan 13, 2013

GuNz_52 wrote:
Yeah, I bought a BC PS3, only played a PS2 game like once on it.

No reason to have BC, it just spikes the price.

That's always the case isn't it? People have been BEGGIGING for backwards compatability, but if they had it I'd lay even money they'd never use it. And if they say "Oh I would use it, I have a ton of PS2 games yadda... yadda... yadda", no you wouldn't.

The console is a loss leader. They don't make money by you playing your ten year old PS2 games, despite how many think "they totally would totally make totally so totally  much totally money totally selling totally so totally many totally con-totally-soles... totally". They make money by selling PS3 games.

Message 10 of 34 (224 Views)
0 Likes