Highlighted
Mar 12 2013
By: Kennnyk3n Splicer 55 posts

Ps Vita Button Design Question

2 replies 361 views Edited Mar 12, 2013

I've had my vtia for awhile and from time to time i think about how its designed. Im cool with how it is now but i wonder, what made sony chose to avoid adding a l2 and r2 button. I believe it would have been possible without changing to much but i could be wrong. 

One of the  ways i felt they could have done it was like a third party controller i once had.

madcatz controller

So if they chose to do something like this do you guys think it would have added to vita in a good way or messed up the design entirely?

Message 1 of 3 (361 Views)
Fender Bender
3346 posts

Re: Ps Vita Button Design Question

Mar 12, 2013

Couldn't the developers use contextual awareness in their games to know when to accept touch input from the Vita's rear touchpad as a replacement for the proper R2 trigger? The downside is that you wouldn't get the pressure sensitive input control, but I feel like there are decent ways to develop around this limitation.

Message 2 of 3 (337 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

Re: Ps Vita Button Design Question

Mar 12, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

Couldn't the developers use contextual awareness in their games to know when to accept touch input from the Vita's rear touchpad as a replacement for the proper R2 trigger? The downside is that you wouldn't get the pressure sensitive input control, but I feel like there are decent ways to develop around this limitation.

This is how PSOne games currently work on the Vita.  The L2/L3/R2/R3 buttons are mapped to the rear touchpad.  They also sort of thought ahead and did not use the entire touchpad.  There's about half an inch or so of 'dead area' on all sides of the touch pad (to reduce the 'accidental' press of the affected 'buttons'), as well as about a quarter inch separating the 'buttons' on the touch pad.

On games using the L2/R2 buttons as pressure sensitive inputs, it is my experience that you basically slide your finger down the touchpad in the L2/R2 quadrants to 'increase' the pressure on the button.

Yes, it's a little awkward at first, but you get used to it.  I've been playing Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee a bit and it is...  adequate.

Message 3 of 3 (320 Views)
0 Likes