Highlighted
Aug 09 2014
By: xymox333 Lombax Warrior 240 posts

Ps Vita current sofware line-up. This is horrible.

[ Edited ]
54 replies 720 views Edited Aug 11, 2014

So, I did some digging while searching for a list of Ps Vita games. I managed to find one which has pretty much got the entire list of upcoming Ps Vita games.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=858508

Now before I get started, Let me make it very clear that I do infact own a Ps Vita. Here is my trophies list.

http://psnprofiles.com/xymox333.

Not all of my games are displayed because I had them on another account that I gave to someone who just got them a brand new Ps Vita. Just for good measure, I will tell you what those games are. Soul Sacrifice, Uncharted: Golden abyss, WipEout 2048 , Zen Pinball 2 (with some tables I purchased) and Resistance: Burning skies.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I must say that this is horrible. After two and a half years on the market a console game line-up should be far more....... complete. There is a bad lack of AAA titles and Overexposure of indies and ports, We are missing far to many genre's, and There is no balance in anything. Let's not forget how dry the list for Ps Vita exclusive games is looking.

Now I had to dig and look but, I have found out exactly how well the Psp was doing at this exact same point in it's life cycle (well not exact, but as close as I can get) I managed to find these articles from January 17 2007.

www.edge-online.com/features/games-2007-psp/

www.edge-online.com/features/games-2007-psp/2/

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_video_gaming#Hardware_and_software_sales

And to see what sold and what didn't. I even included a Wiki article of gaming in 2007. Key things to note is that the Psp was at 6.7 million in the US alone. That is already a little over half of the Ps Vita's worldwide install base right now. And the Psp was sitting at 20 million worldwide during the same time. It's release line-up of games puts the Ps Vita to absolute shame and despite being so incredibly weak compared to home consoles and Pc. The Psp delivered a far more satisfying "console quality on the go" experience then the Ps Vita (which is much closer to home consoles and Pc in power) has to date.

The reason I posted this thread is because whenever I come here or any other forum. The Vita owners are so blinded by there loyalty to the Ps Vita or a gerne of games that Sony can say and do pretty much anything they want to the community. The Psp owners did not take it lying down like the majority of Vita owners are currently doing.

I may just be one guy on the internet but, I don't believe in letting Sony walk all over me and neither should my fellow Vita owners. But we do it anyway. The Vita community have adapted a wait and see approach when it comes to Ps Vita support, But while we are waiting and seeing, Sony is giving the Ps3 and Ps4 any games that are worth it. While many Ps Vita owners get scraps, the stuff other people didn't want.

I have made I don't know how many threads like this one trying to get through to this community. I am almost postive that on this very thread someone is going to say "Stop complaining and wait till Gamescom/TGS there will be big Vita games there" But, I believe we have done enough of waiting and look where it has got us. Looking at huge list of mostly indie games claiming all of them are "fun and unique" or saying that all of the jrgps and other Japanese games, plus lack of western support are "What handhelds get anyway, they are never supported heavily by western devs" But, all one has to do is look at the list of games both the Ds and Psp have and they will no that is BS.

Now I am ready to stand up for myself and get Sony to show some REAL support. Are you? This is my opinion and you don't have to agree, but I want your thoughts. Please try to read my entire post, make detailed replies and add to the discussion. I am not saying every game on the the list is bad. But I perfer quality over quantity.

edited news/announcement labels to feedback/ideas. GuardianBelle

Message 1 of 55 (720 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Re: Ps Vita current sofware line-up. This is horrible.

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2014

First, some comments.

#1. Despite the very few people who have Vita, the community who have them seem very passionate about their device and seem to like it much more than the manufactuers. This is to be commended, and I do find it amazing how many people are quite attached to their Vita. That being said, such a small group won't affect that kind of thing no matter what happens.

#2. Solid post, I feel it's well-written (outside of your horrible link fail...please fix that. The wiki link is combined with two other links...), and you have a decent point, however...my response is as follows:

----------------------------------------

Look, I'll be honest with you here. Vita doesn't have much of a userbase. Sony isn't in a great position to be able to pour tons of money it won't see back for the next few...years at best...into the console either, which is what it would likely need to be able to sell units.

Developers aren't much interested in making games for it in the West, The PS4 doesn't have many exclusives yet either, and SCE being tied into their newest console means the Vita is unlikely to get much more attention from SCE in the near future. It's the nature of business, IMO. You can say look at the PSP or DS, but not only were those two consoles in different times, but also completely different situations. It was simply less of a risk to put a game on PSP then than it is to put a game on Vita now, both in development cost and opportunity cost.

Nintendo consoles get support because Nintendo is the best in the industry at using their own IP to support their own system and do it without need for third-party. Sony has always needed third party support. They showed they can assist third party by making exclusives with the PS3, but they lost a lot of money because of pouring it into the PS3. They're not going to do it again, unless the PS4 can sell well enough to offset the cost. It was never about Sony walking on or ignoring you, they think the Vita is the new Dreamcast. Great new tech and ahead of it's time, but absolute failure of a business move.

They're not completely wrong, but what I will say is the Vita is an amazing device. My experience using one was superb, and while it took a little getting used to, I could clearly see why someone would like the device. I like Vita a lot. However, I don't think Sony can be Nintendo in terms of exclusive first-party support both financially and game support wise, and I think that's what's necesssary to have a successful handheld these days. It's a shame, but I'm not sure there's much room for salvaging this kind of situation.

I don't even think more advertisement would do it. You'd have to literally re-distribute resources to Vita from what's being used on PS4 right now, and considering the PS4 is carrying Sony right now, business wise the other divisions might not allow them to do that. They need inexpensive Home-Run hitters, and I'm not sure the Vita is built for that.

Message 2 of 55 (709 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Aug 9, 2014

I own a Vita and there's some fantastic games for it.

That said, I think Sony should have pressed companies to make Vita ports for games such as remastered Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion.

Don't care much about AAA games, for that I got a PS4...

But I'm very satisfied with my Vita. Guacamelee, Dragon's Crown, Hotline Miami, Muramasa Rebirth, Rayman Origins & Legends... there's a LOT of cool games to play in it.

Message 3 of 55 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
415 posts

Aug 9, 2014

I've pretty much accepted my Vita as a platform for Japanese RPGs / Strategy games, Monster Hunter clones, and 'indy games', and having accepted that, I've been quite content with what they've been offering for the handheld.

I'm one of those people that buys almost everything that comes out for the platform, I suppose, and I have almost 50 titles for my Vita now, many of which I've yet to sink my teeth into like FFX, X2, Demon Gaze, and very much looking forward to upcoming titles like Natural Doctrine and Disgaea 4. Although I appreciate these are quite niche, and in turn don't appease that much of the current consumer base. 

I think however that any hope for Sony supporting the platform with unique content is passed. They made an effort for the first two years and it simply hasn't taken off, they are fully aware that dominating the console market and the compatibility between PS4 and Vita will indeed sustain the portable platform, albeit only just. From there further investment doesn't really seem viable. 

The Vita's userbase will naturally grow overtime thanks to the PS4, Sony are more focused (and rightly so) on controlling the home console market right now, so I wouldn't expect to see any Vita support anytime soon. Perhaps later down the road when its clear the PS4 has a tight hold on both the Western and Eastern markets Sony will be able to switch focus back towards the Vita with a few new titles. 

Until then I wouldn't expect to see more than one or two original titles from Sony per year, but there's still plenty of fun to be had with the system provided you happen to enjoy the types of games that are regularily on offer. 

Message 4 of 55 (667 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

Aug 9, 2014

welcome to next generation indie gaming with games that you could play on your phone or tablet taking over our expensive console/handheld systems...next gen isnt getting very much of my money I can tell you that.

Message 5 of 55 (652 Views)
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Aug 9, 2014

The problem doesn't seem to be Sony's consumer base exactly, but rather the gaming industry in general. You say that the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 are getting all the games. That's not true, at least from my point of view. In all of 2014 there's not been a single PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 game that has come out so far that I was dying to play. The majority of PlayStation 4 games up to this point are already on the PlayStation 3. The only exclusive that comes to mind on PlayStation 4 this year that the PlayStation 3 didn't get (aside from asssorted downloadables such as Mercenary Kings) is Infamous: Second Son. Apart from that the game selection is really no different. Knowing this ahead of time, it's a big reason why I switched platforms. I looked at the year ahead and basically saw scraps for the PlayStation 3 just as I did for the PlayStation 4. Though, given that the PlayStation 4 was going to be "the next step" I decided to hop aboard... of course being that some appealing games such as The Witness was on the way. A few titles of 2014 and on the PlayStation 3 that haven't transitioned to the PlayStation 4 (yet) that come to mind would include everything from Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales from the Borderlands, and Escape Dead Island. The attraction for most of these games (for me at least) just isn't there.

The thing is that it seems kind of like the gaming industry isn't using the big media points throughout the year to present enough information that gamers want to hear about. When it had come to the likes of E3 and Gamescom last year, we didn't get much new information that we didn't already know about. Just like last year, E3 2014 was sort of a bust in that direction. Instead of using stage time to talk about all the 100 new games coming to the Vita, Sony simply listed off a few. Of course this handful included titles people were already aware of. Rather, they used more stage time demonstrating uninteresting content such as the not-yet-known LittleBigPlanet 3 and the relatively familiar Destiny. There was time for Far Cry 4 and time to show off The Order: 1886 a second time. There was time for a clip of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and time to talk about the comic book-influenced TV show Powers. There were a few new titles announced such as Dead Island 2 and indies such as Abzu. Given all that was seen throughout the show, there wasn't much that impressed whether they were talking about an existing game being ported over (Grim Fandango) or using stage time to talk about the PlayStation TV instead of new and exciting games that would be coming to it or the Vita hardware.

Then again, I'm just one individual myself, and Sony's aim (in addition to other companies) is to try reaching out to a broader scope of gamers. They're trying to hook the drivers with Driveclub, the shooter fans with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Battlefield: Hardline, the RPG hordes with Final Fantasy XV and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and sate horror lovers with the likes of The Evil Within or the notion that 'Resident Evil 7' will return to its horror roots. Personally, I'd like to know more about what's coming to the Vita. It's just that no one is stepping up to the platform and outlining what the many, many games down the line will play like or what they will be. This can ultimately hurt sales of those games since we as consumers are sort of left in a fog as to what else is out there. If the game isn't presented our way and made a big deal out of, how are we supposed to know what Monsterbag is or Cosmic Star Heroine? There's always research, but by the time the game is out in stores (whether it's a digital-only game or you see it sitting there on the shelf) it could be too late for the person that didn't find out about such a release months before. That's why I think it's important to use the likes of E3 stage time more for new games rather than existing ones, especially those that have already had their time on stage in the year(s) before.

Message 6 of 55 (634 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
859 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2014

In the world of smartphones, where you can download and play apps for less than $1, there is basically no room for expensive handhelds with expensive games. The fact that the Vita is still not quite console quality hurts its case as well. Someone mentioned that the Vita was ahead of its time. I would argue that it is the exact opposite. Handheld devices made just for gaming are dying. The 3ds is still hanging on for a bit in the US because of the large User base and attraction from young kids who aren't ready for a phone, but that wont last forever. What could keep Sony in the handheld market is to build a sleeker device with all of the capabilities of a smartphone, preferably with an android os.

I don't know why you are blaming Vita users though. We are the few who voted with our wallets and bought the thing. I don't know what else you want us to do. You say you're going to stand up for yourself. What does that entail exactly? Personally, I love my Vita and the games it has, Indy or not. But that is where the masses don't agree. And if Sony decides to go all out and publish a bunch more AAA games for the Vita, I guarantee that would be the death of the device. People just aren't buying it.

Message 7 of 55 (625 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Aug 9, 2014

smoothboarder540 wrote:

I don't know why you are blaming Vita users though. We are the few who voted with our wallets and bought the thing. I don't know what else you want us to do. You say you're going to stand up for yourself. What does that entail exactly? Personally, I love my Vita and the games it has, Indy or not. But that is where the masses don't agree. And if Sony decides to go all out and publish a bunch more AAA games for the Vita, I guarantee that would be the death of the device. People just aren't buying it.

I both agree and disagree at the same time.

I think there's techniques you can use to make a game that's not exactly high in budget look a lot higher budget than it actually is if designed correctly.

Thinks come to mind like Divinity: Original Sin.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think they need to go out and make big budget games, but if they could figure out how to make games that could help without breaking the bank, that'd be a great move.

Message 8 of 55 (617 Views)
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2014

Like Nintendo today, Sony was willing to invest heavily in the PSP with their own resources despite less than ideal sales.  If you go back and look, you'll see they published a handful of awesome AAA type titles every year.  You get enough good 1st party games with universal appeal and sales will increase, then more 3rd party studios start dipping their toe in the water.  

Unfortunately instead of taking it in the shorts and getting behind more high quality games they choose to invest heavily in helping indie developers get games on the system.  It's quantity over quality.  Nobody bought PSP to play those silly PSP mini games.  I don't know why they think people will buy a $200 Vita to play Hotline Miami (as much as I love that game Smiley Wink).

The best way to get the message out to Sony is to buy the type of games you want to see more of and don't buy the games you don't want to see more of.  If Killzone sells a million and Hotline Miami sells 40,000 maybe they'll get the message.  Unfortunately I don't think there is much hope for Vita.  I'd sell it if there was anything capable of replacing it, so instead I just wait and wait and wait for another title that gets me excited.

xymox333 wrote:
So, I did some digging while searching for a list of Ps Vita games. I managed to find one which has pretty much got the entire list of upcoming Ps Vita games.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=858508

Now before I get started, Let me make it very clear that I do infact own a Ps Vita. Here is my trophies list.

http://psnprofiles.com/xymox333.

Not all of my games are displayed because I had them on another account that I gave to someone who just got them a brand new Ps Vita. Just for good measure, I will tell you what those games are. Soul Sacrifice, Uncharted: Golden abyss, WipEout 2048 , Zen Pinball 2 (with some tables I purchased) and Resistance: Burning skies.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I must say that this is horrible. After two and a half years on the market a console game line-up should be far more....... complete. There is a bad lack of AAA titles and Overexposure of indies and ports, We are missing far to many genre's, and There is no balance in anything. Let's not forget how dry the list for Ps Vita exclusive games is looking.

Now I had to dig and look by I have found out exactly how well the Psp was doing at this exact same point in it's life cycle (well not exact, but as close as I can get) I managed to find these articles from January 17 2007.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/games-2007-psp/http://www.edge-online.com/features/games-2007-ps...

And to see what sold and what didn't. I even included a Wiki article of gaming in 2007. Key things to note is that the Psp was at 6.7 million in the US alone. That is already a little over half of the Ps Vita's worldwide install base right now. And the Psp was sitting at 20 million worldwide during the same time. It's release line-up of games puts the Ps Vita to absolute shame and despite being so incredibly weak compared to home consoles and Pc. The Psp delivered a far more satisfying "console quality on the go" experience then the Ps Vita (which is much closer to home consoles and Pc in power) has to date.

The reason I posted this thread is because whenever I come here or any other forum. The Vita owners are so blinded by there loyalty to the Ps Vita or a gerne of games that Sony can say and do pretty much anything they want to the community. The Psp owners did not take it lying down like the majority of Vita owners are currently doing.

I may just be one guy on the internet but, I don't believe in letting Sony walk all over me and neither should my fellow Vita owners. But we do it anyway. The Vita community have adapted a wait and see approach when it comes to Ps Vita support, But while we are waiting and seeing, Sony is giving the Ps3 and Ps4 any games that are worth it. While many Ps Vita owners get scraps, the stuff other people didn't want.

I have made I don't know how many threads like this one trying to get through to this community. I am almost postive that on this very thread someone is going to say "Stop complaining and wait till Gamescom/TGS there will be big Vita games there" But, I believe we have done enough of waiting and look where it has got us. Looking at huge list of mostly indie games claiming all of them are "fun and unique" or saying that all of the jrgps and other Japanese games, plus lack of western support are "What handhelds get anyway, they are never supported heavily by western devs" But, all one has to do is look at the list of games both the Ds and Psp have and they will no that is BS.

Now I am ready to stand up for myself and get Sony to show some REAL support. Are you? This is my opinion and you don't have to agree, but I want your thoughts. Please try to read my entire post, make detailed replies and add to the discussion. I am not saying every game on the the list is bad. But I perfer quality over quantity.

Message 9 of 55 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Aug 9, 2014

smoothboarder540 wrote:

The 3ds is still hanging on for a bit in the US because of the large User base and attraction from young kids who aren't ready for a phone, but that wont last forever.

The 3DS is hanging on because Nintendo machine gunned title after title of high quality games.  It was hurting when it came out but they doubled down and now it's swimming in qualitity content.  Unfortunately I can only play so much Mario/Zelda so it doesn't replace Vita for me but I wish it did.

Message 10 of 55 (601 Views)