Mar 29 2013
By: irishrose524 First Son 15 posts

Ps3 plays Ps1 but not Ps2 games?

[ Edited ]
26 replies 251 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

Okay, I'm very very confused and angry, I'm starting to hate Playstation now... (tears) I don't get money very often, I'm looking for work and I have my tax return from having worked before though, so I try to get Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, I try to download it off the store since I was able to do so with the Silent Hill 1 game which is for PS1. 

I also have the DISK for Silent HIll 1 that's for PS1, which works prefectly fine on my PS3.

So anyway, I go to try to download and installl Sillent HIll: Shattered Memories, I pay ALOT (for me), maybe to you that's not alot, but to me that's alot. ($29.99) bare in mind, I have very little money, but I thought i'd treat myself to this awesome game. So I go to download, install... -then I go to try to play it and it turns out it's only for PSP, WTFH? So I call, I don't have a PSP, I only have a PS3 and I **bleep** cannot afford to buy a whole new system. (tears) They've yet to get back to me on the refund for this game I cannot play, I cannot recive the service and would like to have it taken off my system and account and my money given back. 

So after calling back and being promised to be contacted back via email, I had a little extra, so I went to buy the Silent HIll: Shattered Memories game for PS2 via Amazon ($20), I get it just today, thinking it'll work, since my PS1 game in disk form of Silent Hill worked just fine. Well...apparently it dosn't work. 

My PS3 is able to play PS1 games, but it cannot play PS2?! (sobbing now)

This system stucks! (thows controler at it)

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible? It can play PS1 but it can't play PS2? Now I have to return this game I've been dying to play >:-( 

Not even sure even if I ever can afford it, that' I'd get a stupid PS4, PS Eye or not. >:-(((((

I'll never be able to play the game I want. (needs hug) 

It's more terrible because I wasted my money trying to get this game.

And I want my money back. :womansad:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (251 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Re: Ps3 plays Ps1 but not Ps2 games?

Mar 29, 2013

Kinda have to read before you download...

Is your PS3 a fat or one of the two slims?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (240 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2013

If you have an original PS3 you can play PS2 games once you install the PS2 system software. If you don't have an original PS3 you cannot play PS2 games. Supposedly it is because the PS2 EE chip which is not supported by other PS3's but the original, but there is emulation software that you can find online that allows you to play PS2 games on your PC.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (238 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27898 posts

Mar 29, 2013

irishrose524 wrote:

Okay, I'm very very confused and angry, I'm starting to hate Playstation now... (tears) I don't get money very often, I'm looking for work and I have my tax return from having worked before though, so I try to get Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, I try to download it off the store since I was able to do so with the Silent Hill 1 game which is for PS1. 

I also have the DISK for Silent HIll 1 that's for PS1, which works prefectly fine on my PS3.

So anyway, I go to try to download and installl Sillent HIll: Shattered Memories, I pay ALOT (for me), maybe to you that's not alot, but to me that's alot. ($29.99) bare in mind, I have very little money, but I thought i'd treat myself to this awesome game. So I go to download, install... -then I go to try to play it and it turns out it's only for PSP, WTFH? So I call, I don't have a PSP, I only have a PS3 and I **bleep** cannot afford to buy a whole new system. (tears) They've yet to get back to me on the refund for this game I cannot play, I cannot recive the service and would like to have it taken off my system and account and my money given back. 

So after calling back and being promised to be contacted back via email, I had a little extra, so I went to buy the Silent HIll: Shattered Memories game for PS2 via Amazon ($20), I get it just today, thinking it'll work, since my PS1 game in disk form of Silent Hill worked just fine. Well...apparently it dosn't work. 

My PS3 is able to play PS1 games, but it cannot play PS2?! (sobbing now)

This system stucks! (thows controler at it)

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible? It can play PS1 but it can't play PS2? Now I have to return this game I've been dying to play >:-( 

Not even sure even if I ever can afford it, that' I'd get a stupid PS4, PS Eye or not. >:-(((((

I'll never be able to play the game I want. (needs hug) 

It's more terrible because I wasted my money trying to get this game.

And I want my money back. :womansad:

Hi,

Correct (see highlighted portion above).

All recent PS3's do not play PS2 disc-bsed games, only the older 4 USB PS3's can, there however some PS2 games that have been remade for the PS3, it's pretty common knowledge that B/C funtionality was taken away some years ago now, so I'm a little suprised you were not aware of this.

I suggest returning your Silent Hill game to Amazon for a refund, as for your PSN purchase, I suggest awaiting the outcome of your refund request, but generally all sales from the PS Store are final & no refunds are given, the error was also your own.

Good luck!

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (234 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23791 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Asphaltum wrote:

If you have an original PS3 you can play PS2 games once you install the PS2 system software. If you don't have an original PS3 you cannot play PS2 games. Supposedly it is because the PS2 EE chip which is not supported by other PS3's but the original, but there is emulation software that you can find online that allows you to play PS2 games on your PC.

Brother, the first part is not true. The System Data just allows PS2 games that utilized the hard drive to use it on the PS3. It has nothing to do with rendering the games themselves. This is a bit of misinformation that seems to keep perpetuating itself, and it doesn't have to.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (233 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Asphaltum wrote:

Brother, the first part is not true. The System Data just allows PS2 games that utilized the hard drive to use it on the PS3. It has nothing to do with rendering the games themselves. This is a bit of misinformation that seems to keep perpetuating itself, and it doesn't have to.

Really, I didn't know that. When I had my original PS3 I installed it thinking that I had to in order to play my PS2 games. My apologies for the misinformation.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (226 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 29, 2013

well, all i saw was "game" so i was like, okay, i'll download that and i did and it was a bad idea :-< 

I'm not a big gamer, but there are some I like to play, like SH1 and some Batman games (DCUO, Gotham Imposters, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City..) 

Um... I think it's the Slim? I got it from Walmart.

It looks like the one on the left.

ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 29, 2013

How do I install PS2 system software?

Also can you give me some info on this emulation software, I won't want to not be able to play my game that I paid money for..

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (218 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Sorry about that, but the system software will not allow you to play that game, I was misinformed. Now I don't know what the PC software is, it was mentioned by someone in one of the posts earlier this week. You may have to do a google search for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (214 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Okay, that was sorta jerky and very rude. Not everyone knows everything about everything, especially someone who's not a big a gamer as you are apparently. And it's not common knowelege, my friend who plays these sorts of games far more than I do didn't know about it. I had no ---ing idea. You see I'm crying, I make very little money (as in none/looking for a job right now) and you just are rude. If I was able to be refunded the money for both the game I have now and the PSP game I could buy a PS2 and then someday hope to get some money and get the Shattered Memories game to play.

You need to work on your customer relations and your preception of the world and the people who live in it. Again, I don't know everything, I just know that my PS1 game was able to work so I thought logically a PS2 game should too. Not /everyone/ knows that. 

You see I am in distress, you see that. (tears/angry) But instead you're just rude.

(wants to cry)

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (212 Views)
0 Likes