Jul 05 2013
By: ColorfulArtist86 First Son 16 posts
Accepted Solution

Question about PS4 and its compatibilities

14 replies 204 views Edited Jul 5, 2013

Hi Everyone Smiley Very Happy

I need some opinions about PS4. At first, I want to get the PS3 in the future when I have the chance but then I heard about the announcements of the PlayStation 4.

I just want to make sure that if/when I get the PS4, is there any possibilities that I can play PS2 and PS3 Disc games with PS4? Because most of my favorite games are PS2 (Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Sly Cooper 1, 2 & 3, Jak and Daxter, etc..).

I really appreciate it to hear your answers and opinions.

Message 1 of 15 (204 Views)
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Re: Question about PS4 and its compatibilities

Jul 5, 2013
You should do research online. This has been stated at least a million times. (Seriously)

PS1,2 or 3 games are NOT playable in any form on the PS4, even by disc.
They will however, be streamable via Gaikai, but you will need a very fast internet connection to use it.
Message 2 of 15 (197 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 5, 2013

I "did" online research many times and it is better idea to ask here in Playstation Community Forums, this is afterall a "community website".

I'm sorry, but I'm bit surprised of the way you answered from the beginning.

Message 3 of 15 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1655 posts

Jul 5, 2013

ColorfulArtist86 wrote:

I "did" online research many times and it is better idea to ask here in Playstation Community Forums, this is afterall a "community website".

I'm sorry, but I'm bit surprised of the way you answered from the beginning.

He meant you should have looked through the forums, this topic hasn't been "beating a dead horse", the horse is already dead from being beaten so many times. In other words, this topic has been constantly asked over and over again, so it would have been more helpful to go through the first 5 pages (I'm sure there would have been a topis about it there), than just ask it again.

Message 4 of 15 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Hi Everyone :smileyvery-happy:

I need some opinions about PS4. At first, I want to get the PS3 in the future when I have the chance but then I heard about the announcements of the PlayStation 4.

I just want to make sure that if/when I get the PS4, is there any possibilities that I can play PS2 and PS3 Disc games with PS4? Because most of my favorite games are PS2 (Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Sly Cooper 1, 2 & 3, Jak and Daxter, etc..).

I really appreciate it to hear your answers and opinions

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The PS4 will not be backwards compatible how ever many of the games you mentioned will most likely be available as digital downloads. The sly series is already available for the PS3 on a disk. I do believe Kingdom hearts will make its way to PS4 due to popular demand. As far as Jak & Dax, it's all speculation. You can do a quick search in the forum serch box to reavel more info on this topic.

Message 5 of 15 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 5, 2013

You mean both KH 1 and 2? If that's true, that's great to know Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Digital download PS3 games will NOT work on the PS4 at all. Only Gaikai cloud game streaming service, that's the only way.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 7 of 15 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Jul 5, 2013

how would you get a digital PS3 game onto a PS4?

Message 8 of 15 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

how would you get a digital PS3 game onto a PS4?

You can't. It won't even be available to download on the PS4. It won't work. Gaikai is the only way.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 9 of 15 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 5, 2013
Exactly. Sony said no PS1/2 or 3 title will be playable on the PS4 retail or digital.

Gaikai is the only way to do it. Thats not to say however, that sony wont introduce digital downloadable classic titles in the future, but just dont expect them for a few years. It took almost 5 years to get "PS2 Classics" on the PS3.
Message 10 of 15 (146 Views)
0 Likes