Highlighted
Feb 23 2014
By: FreshRevenge Treasure Hunter 4786 posts

[REVIEW] Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13

[ Edited ]
10 replies 379 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

Lightning Returns FF13.jpg

I wasn't sure if I would do a review on this game since the majority of users have made waste to any thread that I have had showing my love for the series but I wanted to do one beside the animosity around the series.

The Time has come to an End

This picks up 500 years years after the events of Final Fantasy 13-2. The game focuses on Lightning as being the lead protaganist of the series. She has become the world's Savior.  She was somewhat missing in FF13-2 but she was still vital to the plot. The story is very light in comparison of the last two, of course there are some mysteries. But most of your questions throughout the game get answered. There is a new time mechanic and many gamers are going to shy away from this because of this fear of not being able to explore at their leisure. The doomsday clock or the number of clocks you see throughout the world shows the same time of day regardless of where you are. It is a good thing they didn't have different timezones. Than things would really be complicated. I really think this is quite interesting because instead of running around without a care in the world; now you have to be concern about time and how to use your time wisely. So you start each day at 6am and you have about 6am to complete main and side quests missions. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to finish all of them but that is totally up to you.

Now the focus of the game and this will be imprinted on you early on, but most players don't really pay attention. Your main job is to saves souls. Now of course you will be fighting monsters along the way but they are not your priority. It is souls of people, that you will be spending your time on. You are playing Savior solving people's problems and see if they deserve to go to a new world. Again solving peoples problems makes you stronger within the world. There are plenty of side missions and board missions for you to complete. Now the main story seems simpler this time, but you will find that the peoples problems are more elaborate in detail.  You will be helping people who have lost love ones to finding ingredients to help save a sick person or dog. Now Lightning seems reluctant at first on helping anyone but has no other choice. But by the end, she turns into Saint Mary. Well quite not like Saint Mary. There will be plenty of quests that will make you feel good that you save the person in question. A lot of moral emphasis on doing the right thing or trying to do the right thing!

Let me talk about combat, the combat is slightly different from the previous titles. Lightning is the only playable character this time around. You may get one or two people to help you but for the most part they do the fighting without you issuing commands at them. You have up to 3 schematas to choose from. Now each schema are purposely designed outfits that have different attributes attached to them and there are dozens of outfits that can be purchased or found by completing  quests. Plus extra dlc outfits along the way. There are rings and adornments that can be found that they offer different skills. It is your job to find an outfit that is suitable for your fighting style. Once you get these outfits selected. Anytime you go into battle, you can change your outfit on the fly by pressing L1 or R1. Each outfit has a meter,so depending on the skill you have chosen; each skill takes a certain amount of stamina. So once you are out on one bar, you need to switch to another outfit. So keep in mind what outfits have the skills you need to take out your enemies. Now unused meters will gradually recover so you can you use it again. There are differences depending on difficulty settings. On normal if you leave a battle because you find yourself overwhelmed, there is a time penalty. It would just be easier to start on easy if you find the difficulty harder than you expected.

I feel that it would have been nice if this was released on the PS4 because some of the art direction in the game is so beautiful but there are some areas that textures look blurry and outdated. Plus some npc characters look plain in comparison to how Lightning looks. It isn't something to worry about or make the experience any less grand as it already is. There are 4 major areas that offer a variety of vistas to explore and take in the scenery. These areas are large playgrounds for you to wonder aimlessly. You will find shops and restaurants and hotels. So it seems like Square-Enix heard fans about these issues. Now I didn't find these a problem before but it is a welcome addition to the series. You will find shops to purchase weapons and shields to outfits and accessories. You can upgrade your weapons later on after playing on NG+. I am playing through my 3rd playthrough and even though I know how it ends, it still feels great to run around fighting monsters and stopping the time of day to extend the time to complete quests.

Now musically the game offers a lot of music tracks from the series; a little more nostalgic feeling and some new tracks to give the game its own identity. There are people within the world who will be playing music from the series and it's nice to stop what you are doing and listen to them play. There is a track in one of the areas that made me think Superman.  The beginning starts off like the original Superman movies with Christopher Reeve. You Superman fans should be able to spot it out! I think it does well with the overall  theme of the game. Hope and Renewal.

Now there is a feature that allows you to take snapshots of your gameplay and upload them to  the OuterWorld server which can be display on social networks like Facebook and Twitter. You can give it a title and offer a gift; potions, swords or shields etc. Yet I found this to be somewhat useless. Mostly no one is going to purchase a potion from a snapshot. But it is still a cool feature to share your favorite moments within the game to others. I have shared a dozen pictures and uploaded them to my twitter account. So I think they need to really offer something more unique to it than what is currently being done.

Up We Go.jpg

BgohBO2CEAAQTgo.jpg

BgRpflCCAAA1GNo.jpg

I am a bit sad to see it end but I feel the ending was fitting for the story arch that was created a few years ago. I would like to see these characters in future installments of FF games but only if it made sense to the story. Each of the characters offered a unique personality to the group of heroes known in Final Fantasy 13. Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13 ends in a hopeful sendoff that fans of the series should appreciate and would make them want to play through the previous games again and again. For those who haven't played through the series, this will be a good start but it would still be good to play through the others to see this personal journey of Lightning come to an end.

My final verdict of the game is actually an 8.5. I found some visuals a bit outdated, nothing to be upset over but I feel that the beauty of this game would have benefited with a better engine or the help of the PS4! Maybe they might consider bringing it to the PS4? Also I felt that some character arch's were left to fade in the background than to give them a proper conclusion. Even with the ending as spectacular as it was, I felt that they could have spent a little more time focusing on key characters being more involved with the Saviors quest to save the world. Even with these issues that I found. The game is worth playing through and fans and newcomers should enjoy it.

Now since I was a fan, I'd committed myself to getting the Collectors Edition. Which includes an artbook and unique pocketwatch. I also got the Stragedy guide for an extra indepth look into the series. Overall I am pretty happy! I know some would say otherwise but maybe this series wasn't meant for you but it did mean a lot to othersSmiley Happy

ECP_00001.jpg

Thank you again for taking the time to read my review and I hope it gives you the chance to give Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13 a playthroughSmiley Happy

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

https://twitter.com/FreshRevenge
http://www.twitch.tv/thefreshrevengehaven

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 1 of 11 (379 Views)
MVP Support
12491 posts

Re: Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13(My Review)

Feb 23, 2014

Very nice job on the review, Freshrevenge. You did a good job in regards to describing the game and the good and bad points of it. If I do get a PS3, I'll be looking around for a used copy of it. It seems like it would be worth while to do so.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 2 of 11 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Box9Missingo wrote:

Very nice job on the review, Freshrevenge. You did a good job in regards to describing the game and the good and bad points of it. If I do get a PS3, I'll be looking around for a used copy of it. It seems like it would be worth while to do so.

Good review my friend.  I agree with Box.  You made a good review about the whole major important things in gaming.   Im happy for you that you enjoyed it.  The game looks cool and the Lightning is amazing in terms of graphics and costumes.  I loved so much the new costume for Lightning that I got the Square Enix Play Arts Figure.  It was a present. I think it is the one that cost around almost 100 bucks.  It looks amazing almost the same as in the game. Very detail focused.  Im not taking that baby out of that box never haha.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 3 of 11 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4786 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Well I appreciate that you both enjoyed the review. It is very tricky to do a review on a series that you enjoy and still point out the minor flaws of  the game. Plus I don't do reviews often so it is a matter of being able to communicate my thoughts without saying the same thing over and over again.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Message 4 of 11 (356 Views)
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Box9Missingo wrote:

After all these years, you still don't have a PS3?

You've missed out on so many amazing games!

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 5 of 11 (354 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 23, 2014

FreshRevenge wrote:

Well I appreciate that you both enjoyed the review. It is very tricky to do a review on a series that you enjoy and still point out the minor flaws of  the game. Plus I don't do reviews often so it is a matter of being able to communicate my thoughts without saying the same thing over and over again.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

You welcome.  Thats what friend are for Smiley Happy  

I made a review once and believe me it was not easy.  I know the feeling.  I mostly do reviews but not written.  My reviews are spoken. I talk to somebody that wants to know and I tell them all the pros and cons about that game or series of game.  Its difficult sometimes because you dont want to be a spoiler lol.  

Its a matter of practice and dedication.  I have been considering to begin making written reviews Smiley Happy

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 6 of 11 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4786 posts

Feb 24, 2014

darkforcegod wrote:

FreshRevenge wrote:

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

You welcome.  Thats what friend are for Smiley Happy  

I made a review once and believe me it was not easy.  I know the feeling.  I mostly do reviews but not written.  My reviews are spoken. I talk to somebody that wants to know and I tell them all the pros and cons about that game or series of game.  Its difficult sometimes because you dont want to be a spoiler lol.  

Its a matter of practice and dedication.  I have been considering to begin making written reviews Smiley Happy

I was considering doing a video review to compliment the above review but that takes time. I might do one but I have to look into my schedule.I actually had this written a few days ago but I didn't really decide until today.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Message 7 of 11 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Re: [REVIEW] Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13

Feb 24, 2014
I'll get to playing it eventually. I'm in the middle of Killzone Shadow Fall/Mercenary, Remember Me, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and Rocksmith 2014. I'm also on chapter 12 of Final Fantasy XIII, while XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are still in the shrink wrap along with Beyond Two Souls. lol
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 8 of 11 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3796 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Nice review FleshRevenge! I agree about the slightly outdated graphics, but I guess they had to sacrifice the graphics to give us a huge game world, and almost no loading at all. Actually, if you travel through roads instead of monorails, there is no loading at all! 

I'm currently on my second playthrough, which I started with hard difficulty obviously, but unfortunately  the game has been way too easy for me. All the bosses and battles I've fought so far are actually easier than they were on normal difficulty in my first playthrough. And that is because Lightning keeps all the stat increases he had in the previous playthrough. Stat increases for completing the same quest again give reduced rewards now though, but quests you failed or didn't complete, should give normal rewards.

It would have been great if you were able to select hard difficulty as your first playthrough, that way the combat would be lot more challenging, and you could actually call it hard mode. It might feel too hard at first, but they could balance it out by allowing players to upgrade their equipment on their first playthrough as well, but only if they play on hard difficulty.  On normal difficulty it would be the same (NG+ required for upgrading).

Combat is really fun in this game, and there are dozens of ways to fight. You can be a debuffer, spellcaster, strong close range attacker, tank etc. I change my garbs and abilities every once in a while, to keep things fresh.

From the 13 series, I think the original is my favorite, Lightning Returns being the second. But all three are amazing games!

I'd be very interested if PS4 version came out in the future as well. Heh, do that to all three games! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 11 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4786 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Alluboy_ wrote:

Nice review FleshRevenge! I agree about the slightly outdated graphics, but I guess they had to sacrifice the graphics to give us a huge game world, and almost no loading at all. Actually, if you travel through roads instead of monorails, there is no loading at all! 

I'm currently on my second playthrough, which I started with hard difficulty obviously, but unfortunately  the game has been way too easy for me. All the bosses and battles I've fought so far are actually easier than they were on normal difficulty in my first playthrough. And that is because Lightning keeps all the stat increases he had in the previous playthrough. Stat increases for completing the same quest again give reduced rewards now though, but quests you failed or didn't complete, should give normal rewards.

It would have been great if you were able to select hard difficulty as your first playthrough, that way the combat would be lot more challenging, and you could actually call it hard mode. It might feel too hard at first, but they could balance it out by allowing players to upgrade their equipment on their first playthrough as well, but only if they play on hard difficulty.  On normal difficulty it would be the same (NG+ required for upgrading).

Combat is really fun in this game, and there are dozens of ways to fight. You can be a debuffer, spellcaster, strong close range attacker, tank etc. I change my garbs and abilities every once in a while, to keep things fresh.

From the 13 series, I think the original is my favorite, Lightning Returns being the second. But all three are amazing games!

I'd be very interested if PS4 version came out in the future as well. Heh, do that to all three games! Smiley Tongue

Well they could always add a difficult setting through a patch. I would think it would be a tall order for them to do update the graphics for the PS4. But who knows? It would be nice if they did the entire series as an package deal. I would buy it! Also it would be nice if they released Final Fantasy 12 too.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Message 10 of 11 (218 Views)
0 Likes