Highlighted
Dec 20 2013
By: Doc_007 Fender Bender 3501 posts

[REVIEW] - Power A - Dualshock 4 Charging Station - PS4 Officially Licensed

[ Edited ]
8 replies 6436 views Edited Dec 20, 2013

Greetings gamers.

For my PS3 I have always used a remote controller charging dock so when I ordered my PS4 I also ordered one of these chargers. I find being able to keep two DS4s charged up and at the ready enhances my ability to play anytime as well as have a spare controller for guests or for a quick swap during marathon gaming sessions. I also can't stand cords hanging out of the front of my console just for charging controllers.

I have been using this since launch day, actually had it a week before with a spare DS4 sitting on it taunting me while I waited for my console. Smiley Tongue

On with the review:

What is advertised: An officially licensed product for charging DS4 controllers. Paid 24.99 on Amazon who now has it listed at under 20.00 but unavailable. Unfortunatly it seems like the eBay resellers went nots buying these up as well and are selling them for about 35 bucks.

olpcradle

What you get:

WHAT-YOU-GET.jpg

BOX.jpg

You get the charging cradle and a power supply as well as the usual instructions. The package was top notch and very "Sonyish".

Quality:

Build quality is as I would have expected from a Sony authorized product. No rough edges or shoddy printing. A nice gloss and matte black combo finish that mates perfectly with the PS4.

The power cord is not brittle or flimsy and is long enough for just about any application. It does however use a proprietary plug to connect to the charging cradle.

How does it work?

This is where this product struck me as quite clever. Each controller cradle is spring loaded and has an UP and DOWN position which operates independently. In the up position, your controller is stored without being charged. In the down position it is being charged. This device does not force you to charge your controller to use it as a storage stand.

CRADLE-UP-STORAGE.jpg

Cradle up for storage

CRADLE-DOWN-CHARGING.jpg

Cradle down showing charging plugs

One of the really nice things about this setup is that there is no fumbling to line up the DS4 with the charging plug. You place the DS4 in the cradle in the up position. (It fits perfectly and would be near impossible to put it in wrong) then you simply press on the controller and it engages the plug. This is great for the controller and the charger as there is never any twisting, leveraging or other awkwardness that would cause unnecessary stress on the port or plug.

Like so:

ANIMATION.gif

TWO-ON-CRADLE.jpg

Cradle with two DS4s in storage mode.

Dowsides?

I only have one gripe and that is the proprietary plug for the power supply. If your power supply is damaged or lost I do not know if a new one would be available from the manufacturer or anyone else so keep this in mind and don't lose or damage it. Smiley Happy

Final thoughts for the moment:

After a solid month of use, I am very happy with this product and was thrilled to have an option that did not look like some sort of Klingon spaceship to use to charge my controllers. It is simple in appearance and flawless in function. I would not hesitate to suggest this device to my friends. I will be buying a second one as I will have 4 DS4s after Santa comes. Smiley Tongue

Game on!

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 1 of 9 (6,436 Views)
Sackboy
341 posts

Re: [REVIEW] - Power A - Dualshock 4 Charging Station - PS4 Officially Licensed

Dec 20, 2013

Very nice review, Doc. I didn't know this was out yet, an officially licensed one that is. Going to have to pick one up!

Message 2 of 9 (6,429 Views)
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Dec 20, 2013
Nice review again, thank you. Just for clarification though; the DualShock 4 does not need to be completely drained before recharging. Modern batteries, such as the ones in smartphones, notebooks, and the DS4, no longer require a charging cycle to keep their calibration. That was true with NiMH, li-ion polymer, and early li-ion batteries. That isn't the case with modern li-ion batteries though.

You can charge them after using the controller for just a bit or you can drain them. The battery won't lose it's calibration or conditioning standards.
Message 3 of 9 (6,401 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2013

kornchild2002 wrote:
Nice review again, thank you. Just for clarification though; the DualShock 4 does not need to be completely drained before recharging. Modern batteries, such as the ones in smartphones, notebooks, and the DS4, no longer require a charging cycle to keep their calibration. That was true with NiMH, li-ion polymer, and early li-ion batteries. That isn't the case with modern li-ion batteries though.

You can charge them after using the controller for just a bit or you can drain them. The battery won't lose it's calibration or conditioning standards.

You are right, I am thinking NIMH.

It would be awesome to see LIPO in these as they would last a crazy long time but then the price would go up on controllers and chargers and someone would mange to set one on fire. Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 9 (6,391 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 20, 2013

InfraRedSkittle wrote:

Very nice review, Doc. I didn't know this was out yet, an officially licensed one that is. Going to have to pick one up!

Thanks, I like writing this kind of stuff up.

Message 5 of 9 (6,358 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 26, 2013

Was at my local Best Buy and saw they had a bunch of these so I snagged a second one.

Looks like they are in stock on line as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dualshock-4-charging-station-for-playstation-4/1739098.p?id=121906250848...

Message 6 of 9 (6,310 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 15, 2015

Great review! Just one question. Is it a universal product (Does it support 220v+) not just 110v? Or would I need to buy an adapter to get it to work with 220v countries?

Message 7 of 9 (1,508 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Oct 15, 2015

Hubuert333 hollered:

Great review! Just one question. Is it a universal product (Does it support 220v+) not just 110v? Or would I need to buy an adapter to get it to work with 220v countries?

:^/ This thread was two years old before you bumped it up, man, so the conversation is dead now. For what it's worth, many modern electronics detect the voltage they're plugged into, and adapt as needed. Sony does this with their cameras, but I don't know about a charger for game controllers. Maybe the guy at the store will know.

Message 8 of 9 (1,493 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
5507 posts

Oct 15, 2015

Please make sure a thread is current/active before responding and necrobumping which is against the forum rules. Thread is now locked

Message 9 of 9 (1,486 Views)
0 Likes