Aug 21 2013
By: jayrabbit PlayStation MVP 109 posts

Reasons to get rid of plus online requirements

[ Edited ]
11 replies 172 views Edited Aug 21, 2013

This will be tiered into three sections: I have plus, why I care that you need plus now for online, and what are some reasons to get rid of it.

I have plus, actually I have a plus subscription that will last till 2016 and the reason is I support the plus subscription because its a great deal. 

So why would I care if Sony has now added plus requirements to play? Because it degrades Sonys image with now requiring people to buy a service that they feel is not a value to them. 

Like I said I have plus, I love it and its a value for me so me and plus match up really well and on top of that if more people have plus that means we have more free games in common, but I am not so blind in my betterment by this move to say those that are just getting Final fantasy realm reborn on the next gen system who are already going to be paying 15bucks a month and will be spending their life on that will have no value in plus (not that I find this to be a smart move on their part, but its not a value to them)

So why is this going to mess with Sonys image? well the people who were forced to pay for live on the xbox were not just swallowing it and staying quiet, there was many that still bought the service but still companied about it. Same goes for here, one of the number one youtube videos out as to "how Sony is tricking people" and why the ps4 is not all that good is this plus requirement, really? out of the whole system they are going to pick this? and on top of that it didn't need to be there?

Ok so am I fair to say that plus didn't really need to turn out like this? Sony is relying on plus as the service that will support ps4 new online services, like I said before I believe its a service that is worth having but apparently Sony no longer believes in this product like I do nor do they believe in us to support the system. If they truly believed in the value then they would offer it to the customer rather then forcing the hand, this shows me that Sony does not believe that us has buyers would fail to meet their mark. So rather then trying to make plus a more attractive buy they went to a failsafe system to force us. I personally viewed Sony as a company which would not do this but with time mistakes happen but it shouldn't remain

I trust that Plus can support the PS4 without forcing its users to pay for it to play online, what about you Sony?

Petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/sony-stop-the-requirement-of-having-playstation-plus-to-play-online

Message 1 of 12 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8019 posts

Re: Reasons to get rid of plus online requirements

Aug 21, 2013
Well, it`s only for online multiple, all other online features will remain free, and Sony can`t be expected to pay for all their servers without getting money from maintaining them. Plus even with the required for online multiple is loads better then what Xbox has. All this will do is help Sony better support their servers, they do cost money after all, and on PS3 they got nothing for maintaining the servers. It is quite understandable that they would want to charge for online multiplayer.
Message 2 of 12 (164 Views)
PlayStation MVP
109 posts

Aug 21, 2013
Chaos I completely agree with you! it is a very understandable move on their part, I am not writing in light of it it is reasonable.
Message 3 of 12 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14296 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

You are not looking at it from a practical business point of view. 

Think about Live. The vast majority of people who bought games for their Xbox got a subscription. MS does not care about those who just buy a console. They want to get the people who play a  lot of games to feel like they are missing out. People crumble under that and buy it.

It is also only $4 a month. Anyone can afford that. Just do not go out to eat for one meal and voila. People complain about paying for it, but they still buy it nonetheless. XBL proved the concept and Sony missed out BIG on millions of dollars (billions were made for MS). The fact is, businesses will squeeze out as much money as they can from their consumers without hurting sales too much. What makes the most money in the long run wins. 

Well, Plus makes money and people will buy it for online play. Sony wins big and consumers are grumpy at the worst and will get over it.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 4 of 12 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
707 posts

Aug 21, 2013
I want Plus to be mandatory. I don't believe that Sony is just going to take our money and keep things as they are. They'll use the extra money to upgrade and maintain the online services. Also, like chaos said, there is still plenty of stuff that will remain free. Games like Blacklight and Planetside 2 wont require Plus. From what I understand, apps like Netflix and Youtube wont require Plus. When you think about it, it's hard to believe that MS got away with Live. Anything that involves your Internet connection, which you already have to pay for, requires live. It's pretty ridiculous. I think that where things stand with Plus on PS4 is perfect.
Message 5 of 12 (136 Views)
PlayStation MVP
27112 posts

Aug 21, 2013

You want a better online experience? You gotta pay for it. This is still America, and nobody rides for free.

Message 6 of 12 (135 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 21, 2013

chaos_789 wrote:
Well, it`s only for online multiple, all other online features will remain free, and Sony can`t be expected to pay for all their servers without getting money from maintaining them. Plus even with the required for online multiple is loads better then what Xbox has. All this will do is help Sony better support their servers, they do cost money after all, and on PS3 they got nothing for maintaining the servers. It is quite understandable that they would want to charge for online multiplayer.

That and PS Plus may or may not be required for FFXIV when it comes to PS4. Same goes for ESO. Sony has stated that some FTP and MMO games will not require it, in the end for those types of games, it is up to the developer. So Square Enix or Bethesda could decide not to require PS Plus for their MMO's. Just wait and see. Neither dev is saying atm.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 7 of 12 (133 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14296 posts

Aug 21, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You want a better online experience? You gotta pay for it. This is still America, and nobody rides for free.

Exactly. PSN is bearable right now, but you would be wrong to say it could not get better. If we are not paying for it, Sony can just give the bare minimum.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 8 of 12 (130 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5475 posts

Aug 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Exactly. PSN is bearable right now, but you would be wrong to say it could not get better. If we are not paying for it, Sony can just give the bare minimum.

Sony can no longer afford to give the bare minimum, figuratively and literally.

Besides, when I am footing the bill with PS+, it gives me all the more cause to complain if it's not being implemented propperly. I look at this as consumer leverage.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 9 of 12 (115 Views)
PlayStation MVP
109 posts

Aug 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

You are not looking at it from a practical business point of view. 

Yes and No, I am proposing a higher risk system which to some degree can be looked at as not practical, though how much would be gained also for not having it forced if they can make sales without it. Like I said in the opening post I believe that plus will be much more successful on the ps4 and that showing a user value is always a more noble sales practice then making it a requirement. 

Message 10 of 12 (110 Views)
0 Likes