Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: Reballed my first ps3 with success..

Apr 18, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
I just bought a new system. It will most likely break again once you get ylod.

not sure i understand what your saying but a reballed PS3 is actually better than a new ps3 as it has real leaded solder which is stronger than the environmentally friendly unleaded BS..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 11 of 27 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Apr 18, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
I just bought a new system. It will most likely break again once you get ylod.

except a reballed PS3 is better than a new PS3.....

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 12 of 27 (135 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Apr 18, 2013

kthunder, what did you use to remove the processors?

I was always under the impression you'd need a reball station.... and those cost $1000+.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 13 of 27 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 18, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kthunder, what did you use to remove the processors?

I was always under the impression you'd need a reball station.... and those cost $1000+.

all i did was i had a wood board to make me a little jig to mount my motherboard to,to keep it from warping and covered the board all around the GPU with loose fitted aluminum foil and used 2 layers and only pushed it tight around the GPU itself and then after about 5 minutes with the heatgun i was able to lift it right off there..
cleaned up the board and the GPU and used the new kit with balls/template and just follow the basic steps and it goes back on the same way...
the only problem i ran into was after my first try putting the balls on the GPU i got my heat gun a little close and started blowing the balls off,the flux does hold them pretty well but i just simply got to close so i cleaned it back up and started again but that only set me back a few minutes.
other than that it all went well,lapped the heatsinks and heatspreader,reattached the spreader with thermal compound and adhesive on the ram and put it all back together and its been running just fine..like new,even better..
NOTE: the heatspreader does not have to be removed but i felt like it needed to be done to complete the job correctly..
Message 14 of 27 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 18, 2013

i was actually very close awhile back to investing into a reball station a guy at another shop was selling but i decided not to...majority of electronic repairs i do would never require it as most of my work is Cb/Ham radio equipment and amp/linear builds and modifications.

i do some console repairs here and there but nothing big and is just  for my entertainment as it don't pay like the other things i do.

Message 15 of 27 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 18, 2013

just an update that the thing has been running for over 24 hours now with  2-1 hour cool down breaks for the thermal compound break-in.

think it is good to go,not bad for a console i picked up for 20 bucks..

Message 16 of 27 (106 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7968 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Impressive that you accomplished that with a heat gun.

I recently purchased a small rework station from another person that used it to reball 360's I don't know if it will heat up enough to reball the PS3's because the chip sets are so big but since you accomplished this with just a heat gun I see no reason that it wouldn't.

Just an FYI even if you reball a system if it gets hot enough it will fail again. All solder has a melting point and reballed systems have failed in the past. Heat is the enemy and on the older FAT PS3's that power supply sits on top of the motherboard and one of the chipsets.

Nice work on the reball!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 17 of 27 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7634 posts

Apr 19, 2013
Do you think this would this be possible by heating it in an oven instead of heatgunning it?
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 18 of 27 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7968 posts

Apr 19, 2013

My only concern with an "oven" reball would be the capacitors and other components on the motherboard would be subjected to the same heat. With a heat gun, hot air wand, or rework station you can localize the heat to just the chipset that needs to be lifted.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 19 of 27 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7634 posts

Apr 19, 2013

rsteele wrote:

My only concern with an "oven" reball would be the capacitors and other components on the motherboard would be subjected to the same heat. With a heat gun, hot air wand, or rework station you can localize the heat to just the chipset that needs to be lifted.

I would revise that question then. :smileytongue:

How about I do an oven reball, but shield the components not to be heated with a few layers of Aluminum foil?

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 20 of 27 (92 Views)
0 Likes